GDT: Buffalo at Tampa Bay 7:30 pm ET, 1/12/2017

Doohickie

Yeah, that's against the Tank Teams though.  This is a New Sabres squad. 

Seriously, at some point there's gotta be cutoffs between tanking, rebuilding, and something approaching a finished product.  I know the team still has a ways to go and the rebuild isn't complete, but at some point we'll be somewhere between a rebuilder and a contender.  I hope we hit that transition on Dec. 31 and can go on a run now to prove to the rest of the league (and ourselves) that the New Core has arrived.

Lines are unchanged:

Carrier-ROR-Okposo

Foligno-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey

Deslauriers-Girgensons-Moulson

On D:

McCabe-Risto

Bogosian-Franson

Falk-Fedun

Josh Gorges (hip) is not on the ice.

Make the last line a permanent thing and we are in business

You mean Gorges as 7D?  Yes please.

Lines are unchanged:

Carrier-ROR-Okposo

Foligno-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey

Deslauriers-Girgensons-Moulson

On D:

McCabe-Risto

Bogosian-Franson

Falk-Fedun

Josh Gorges (hip) is not on the ice.

Make the last line a permanent thing and we are in business

Sexy center lineup there.  :flirt:

You mean Gorges as 7D?  Yes please.

I agree. Oh how the mighty have fallen, but I would much rather see Fedun-Falk in there than Gorges. They at least have some transition skills in their game.

Then why follow them?  I hate the Bruins all the time.  I hate the Flyers all the time.  I hate the Sens all the time.  The Sabres.... I want to love them all the time (but they just won't let me).

It's more efficient. No roller coaster. Just stay on the tea cups and be miserable.

Edit: Damn it. Sorry, NS. I blew it.

Edited by PASabreFan

Sexy center lineup there.  :flirt:

That's what we've been projecting since Jack was drafted.

I agree. Oh how the mighty have fallen, but I would much rather see Fedun-Falk in there than Gorges. They at least have some transition skills in their game.

Gorges was never a might Sabre.  At this point I think his mightiest contribution is as a player-coach to bring the younger guys along.  And at this point, they're pretty much ready to fly from the nest.  Gorges is a good depth guy, but not a top pairing guy anymore.  I think even DD is realizing that.

It's more efficient. No roller coaster. Just stay on the tea cups and be miserable.

You were so close, too.

Not.  :nana:

Huge game. Can jump over Tampa with a win. A loss and last game means nothing. They dug themselves into this hole, they have to get out now.

I hope they're going with playoff-level intensity from here on out.  If they do, they can make the playoffs.  If they make the playoffs they'll probably be burned out after all that intensity, but at least they'll make the playoffs.  Somehow I see that as a point of closure where the transitional guys (Gio, Moulson, Gorges, Franson) can say they accomplished their mission and will be content to move on to the next world, taking the Ghosts of the Tank with them.

Edited by Doohickie

:w00t:

You need to be re-trained ... it's cusps ... tea, or otherwise.

-----

Just win, baby.

GO SABRES!!

Is Grant playing tonight?  1st NHL goal ... coming right up.

That's what we've been projecting since Jack was drafted.

Gorges was never a might Sabre.  At this point I think his mightiest contribution is as a player-coach to bring the younger guys along.  And at this point, they're pretty much ready to fly from the nest.  Gorges is a good depth guy, but not a top pairing guy anymore.  I think even DD is realizing that.

Hopefully, he's not coaching their outlet passes. "Just bang it off the wall, as long as the puck isn't in your end they can't score no matter who posses it!"

Huge game. Can jump over Tampa with a win. A loss and last game means nothing. They dug themselves into this hole, they have to get out now.

I'm very much at a "show me" point with this season's team. Talking about games in hand, who we can jump...it's not doing it for me right now. Wake me when the games in hand are won.

Hopefully, he's not coaching their outlet passes. "Just bang it off the wall, as long as the puck isn't in your end they can't score no matter who posses it!"

Hopefully he's coaching things they still need work on.  He was particularly good at checking a much faster player (McJesus) in the EDM game.  He needs to share the secret of how he did that.

I have a bad feeling about this.  Tampa just seems to have the Sabres' number.

Not anymore.  This is the New Sabres.

With shrader abandoning us are you in line to be the next 'wet blanket'?

:P

Yeah, he moved up in the depth chart from 2WB to 1WB

I'm very much at a "show me" point with this season's team. Talking about games in hand, who we can jump...it's not doing it for me right now. Wake me when the games in hand are won.

Yup. When we reel off an 8-2 stretch, then I'll watch the games for more than just Jack Edited by WildCard

Yup. When we reel off an 8-2 stretch, then I'll watch the games for more than just Jack

6-3-1 for each 10 game block for the rest of the season puts us right on the edge of the playoff line.  

This is a rough look at the numbers but currently it looks to be 95 or 96 although the 3-point games are trending higher than last year (by 44 games total from last year) and may fall back which could lower the points to 93-94 for 3rd place in Atlantic or 2nd wild card.   However, 2014-5 there were 309 3-point games and the cutoff was 98 in the east but that included historically bad Sabres inflating everybody else's points.  There are sites that do a much more thorough job of this kind of prediction but I'm looking at 96 pts as a target.

Yup. When we reel off an 8-2 stretch, then I'll watch the games for more than just Jack

This is what I'm waiting for, and would like at least 6 of the 8 wins to come in regulation time. Wanna see some solid 60 min wins, no taking whole periods off each game and blowing leads. If this team goes on a nice run we can all thank Jake McCabe for turning the season around.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.