Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

All I know is that I look at our list and Carrier/Ullmark are the only two guys I want from it. And if I'm Vegas, I look at the available G list and I don't need Ullmark. There's lots of NHL experience there even if you take a guy like Sparks from Toronto.

If Ullmark wasnt signed to a one way 'd say he would be valuable but brilliant contract so I'd guess Carrier and or Bogo

Without a deal in place, which is possible, LV isn't taking Moulson, Bogo or Ennis. Without the deal, LV taking Kulikov over Carrier or Ullmark would be a win for the Sabres.

In a vacuum absolutely. Please sweet baby Jeebus let there be a deal though.

Without a deal in place, which is possible, LV isn't taking Moulson, Bogo or Ennis. Without the deal, LV taking Kulikov over Carrier or Ullmark would be a win for the Sabres.

Second thought: LV is going to have to pick up sizable salary somewhere, why not Matty Mo. He does have connections to their front office, after all.

Brian Lawton (NHLNetwork) thinks LV signs Kulikov. That would be awesome!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sign him but why would they sign him during this three day window and thus forfeit a pick? If he wants to go there he can just sign when free agency starts. I know there would be risks in waiting but I can't imagine he's a hot commodity even though he is better then he showed this year.

As nice as losing a big ugly contract (Molson, Bogosian) would be, I'd be happy to lose Kulikov over both Ullmark and Carrier. It's going to be interesting to see all the wheeling and dealing between now and the announcement of the Expansion Draft results.

Although I'd expect them to just talk to Kulikov now while they have an exclusive window and wait to sign him in July 1st and still take Carrier or Ullmark from us for the expansion draft.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

I wonder how many playersbthey actually sign in this window. Smart move would be to talk to who you want, and set things up that they sign a deal on July 1st so your not forfeiting a pick to sign a FA.

I wonder if any team is going to negotiate with Vegas to maybe acquire someone on the unprotected list of someone else. Like making a deal that would have them draft someone to then flip after the draft to their team. Like a team coveting bogo or Moulson (I know, I know, just using them as an example) could swing a deal with Vegas to draft one of them and then flip them after to them

Signs him?  Or selects him in the expansion draft?  (He'll be a UFA on 7/1.)

Same thing.  They'll work out an agreement and then select him.  

Why do it before 7/1?  The answer is simple.  Once 7/1 hits everyone can talk to him and he could go anywhere.  With this 3 day period LV can get him locked up now and not worry that if they play the waiting game, he could get a better offer elsewhere and walk.  In fact, agents could use offers from LV to try to get better offers from the other 30 teams. For example, lets say Cbs losses Jack Johnson to LV.  Cbs may just go after Kulikov to fill that void. 

Why do it before 7/1?  The answer is simple.  Once 7/1 hits everyone can talk to him and he could go anywhere.  With this 3 day period LV can get him locked up now and not worry that if they play the waiting game, he could get a better offer elsewhere and walk.  In fact, agents could use offers from LV to try to get better offers from the other 30 teams. For example, lets say Cbs losses Jack Johnson to LV.  Cbs may just go after Kulikov to fill that void. 

I understand the reason why they might take him on Wednesday, but it definitely is not the same thing.

I understand the reason why they might take him on Wednesday, but it definitely is not the same thing.

They won't select him without a deal in place.   

However, I think Lawton is wrong anyway.  I believe LV takes Carrier and that is the agreement Jbot has with them not to take Ullmark.

Edited by GASabresFan

Some guys definitely can honorable enough to stick to that pre-arranged deal after waiting it out.  We had it so recently with Anitpin.  It obviously depends on the person and the team will have to know who they're dealing with, but I'm willing to bet that there will be at least one case of this happening, they agree with a guy but then wait to sign him.  The sad part is that we'll never see any proof of that though.

They won't select him without a deal in place.   

However, I think Lawton is wrong anyway.  I believe LV takes Carrier and that is the agreement Jbot has with them not to take Ullmark.

If that's the case, I'm okay with that.  I'd like to keep Carrier, but not at the expense of Ullmark, who has a high probability of being a future starting goalie.

He also thinks their building a mostly Russian team. lol

Well, when it comes out in 50 years that VGK was nothing more than a CIA front to lure Russian fans who happen to be targets onto US soil so they could be arrested by the FBI, you'll know why.  

Well, when it comes out in 50 years that VGK was nothing more than a CIA front to lure Russian fans who happen to be targets onto US soil so they could be arrested by the FBI, you'll know why.  

Lots of missile silos out in the desert, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.