Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

If another team had McCabe, would you trade Kane for McCabe?

(The correct answer is "hell no").

I really don't know that the trade Blue is talking about is out there.

McCabe looks like he is becoming a complimentary top 4 guy.

Before the injuries Kulikov was a complimentary top 4 guy.

But, for me to trade Kane we don't need a complimentary guy, we need a guy who can anchor a top four pair.

You can't trade a weapon like Kane for a one-way defensive guy like Tanev, or a one-way offensive guy like Barrie, as much as those guys would help.

It needs to be an all-situations guy like Fowler. But because of the lack of depth at the position, a lot of those guys are their team's best defenceman and because of that they just aren't tradeable for a winger, no matter how good the winger is.

You've basically have to wait until a situation presents itself - like when Seth Jones was put on the market - and you pounce.

Edited by dudacek

I really don't know that the trade Blue is talking about is out there.

McCabe looks like he is becoming a complimentary top 4 guy.

Before the injuries Kulikov was a complimentary top 4 guy.

But, for me to trade Kane we don't need a complimentary guy, we need a guy who can anchor a top four pair.

You can't trade a weapon like Kane for a one-way defensive guy like Tanev, or a one-way offensive guy like Barrie, as much as those guys would help.

It needs to be an all-situations guy like Fowler. But because of the lack of depth at the position, a lot of those guys are their team's best defenceman and because of that they just aren't tradeable for a winger, no matter how good the winger is.

You've basically have to wait until a situation presents itself - like when Seth Jones was put on the market - and you pounce.

Well, you're also not getting a guy like Seth Jones for Kane. That aside, I generally agree the kind of trade I want is not currently available. Doesn't mean it won't be, though. And I'd probably rather trade Kane for a Tanev or Barrie than give him an Okposo contract.

Well, you're also not getting a guy like Seth Jones for Kane. That aside, I generally agree the kind of trade I want is not currently available. Doesn't mean it won't be, though. And I'd probably rather trade Kane for a Tanev or Barrie than give him an Okposo contract.

No you're not, not when someone is going to trade Ryan Johansen for him. That's kinda my point.

Could Kane and Guhle get what we need when a such a guy is on the market? I believe it could, depending on other bids.

Kane has been as advertised by Murray.

It all comes down to length of term and cost, and that is even if he wants to stay here, which none of us know if he does.

Given the unknowns and the variables involved in both his game play injury loss time and annual average of roughly 25 goals / 25 assists per season to date, I'm inclined to offer him 5.25 for 5 years.

That means no raise and carries him to 32 years old at that new contracts end. I'd be unwilling to go beyond that given the banner game he plays until we get to that point and see how he's held up.

If he's unwilling, move him.

Murray would trade anyone if he thought it would improve the team.  I don't hesitate to think that at all.

But, I don't think anyone is going to offer up enough for Kane at the trade deadline.  The deal might come after the expansion draft when teams are more certain of their roster.  Murray will know where Kane's head is at as well because he can attempt to sign him on longer.

For now, enjoy the Evander Kane show... I am.

Don't kid yourself, if Murray can get top price for Kane, he went hesitate to move him. As is confirmed here:

WGR 550‏ @WGR550

Kane available for trade, will only be dealt for right price (link: http://bit.ly/2lsR2yE)bit.ly/2lsR2yE

3:09 PM · Feb 10, 2017

He was unequivocal in remarks that I read in the News yesterday or Friday.  He is not inviting offers.  He is not using the media to test the market.  If an unbelievable deal comes along, he'll think about it.

Exactly as it should be.

Kane is the future.

He was unequivocal in remarks that I read in the News yesterday or Friday.  He is not inviting offers.  He is not using the media to test the market.  If an unbelievable deal comes along, he'll think about it.

Exactly as it should be.

Kane is the future.

I believe what he said was he's not making calls to trade Kane. He didn't mention whether he wouldn't listen to calls made to him. But overall, I do agree with you, he would have to get a knock his socks off and rub his feet on the beach while drinking an umbrella drink offer.

Kane has been as advertised by Murray.

It all comes down to length of term and cost, and that is even if he wants to stay here, which none of us know if he does.

Given the unknowns and the variables involved in both his game play injury loss time and annual average of roughly 25 goals / 25 assists per season to date, I'm inclined to offer him 5.25 for 5 years.

That means no raise and carries him to 32 years old at that new contracts end. I'd be unwilling to go beyond that given the banner game he plays until we get to that point and see how he's held up.

If he's unwilling, move him.

He's 25 years old. He'll be 26 when he hits UFA next July.  This is *THE* contract for his career.  He's never going to be in a better position to cash in.

I don't think he'd even listen to a 5-year contract.  Okposo signed for 7 years at $6M/year.  Kane is younger and will want at least that.

If we aren't willing to make a commitment to Kane in the form of a huge contract, then we'll have to trade him.

Frankly, I really don't care what he does off ice as long as it doesn't end up in jail time.  He seems to be growing into a solid and consistent star on this team.   You know, if as was previously mentioned, if Murray got some incredible deal offered him for Kane in the Sabres favor that would definitely make the team better in 2017-18,  then take it. That's a wise strategy.   But don't go looking to trade,  and let's remember "A bird in the hand......"  

He was unequivocal in remarks that I read in the News yesterday or Friday. He is not inviting offers. He is not using the media to test the market. If an unbelievable deal comes along, he'll think about it.

Exactly as it should be.

Kane is the future.

GMTM is always open for business.

Is there really anyone left who wants to trade Kane considering he will likely be pushing for 30 goals this year?

``want`` is a strong word but you have to consider it depending the return.Especially if  you can get a top 4 dman on their first contact.

Also, have to consider the salary cap implications. What can you re-sign him for once his contract expires after next season?. That Moulson contract could really come into play in the 2018-19 season, as Kane, Eichel and Reinhart come up. Unless you get rid of Moulson (or Ennis) not sure how you afford Kane. Even if you get rid of Moulson it could be tough, unless your D is Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Guhle and 3 more earning about $1mill each.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.