GDT: Buffalo at NY Rangers 7:00 pm ET, 1/3/2017, NBCSN

Doohickie

Looking at the schedule, we are:
10-0-3 when scoring more than two goals. 

2-2-1 when we score two goals exactly. 

1-13-4 when scoring fewer than two goals.

This makes a lot of sense. The surprising thing is the EIGHTEEN times we've scored either one or zero goals, through only 36 games. Ugh. 

We're gonna have to be extra careful with Larsson and ROR out, let me tell ya. 

We definitely have a shot in this one, though. The Rangers are built for transition, and so it follows that they give up a lot of stuff going the other way. It literally forces us to play some offense, just to stay in the game, but also because when they come down on a 4 on 2 and their shot gets blocked, who wouldn't take the odd man rush opportunity the other way? 

Last game we showed that we could stick right with them when they opened it up. Actually, we dominated them. We had 38 or 39 shot attempts...while Dan Girardi was on the ice. It was our best possession game in years, I believe. 

Let em fly, DDB.

Eichel was called out in a game a few weeks ago about not hustling back and then proceeded to show some serious skating the next game to make up for it. I don't think he's feeling it that much. I think he's there physically, just not mentally.

He can burn, he's just not choosing too. And I hope he expects more from himself.. I've no doubt he's every bit the competitor we want him to be... I just want to see it.

I don't disagree that it would be nice to see more from Jack but again I caution that you are disregarding the the injury. That type of injury can linger and pushing too hard can result in strain/pain which to the naked eye results in lazy play but in reality is probably a result of needing to back off some to protect the injury. I think Jack is struggling with it right now amd can't push it hard every shift. IMO

This makes a lot of sense. The surprising thing is the EIGHTEEN times we've scored either one or zero goals, through only 36 games. Ugh. 

We definitely have a shot in this one, though. The Rangers are built for transition, and so it follows that they give up a lot of stuff going the other way. It literally forces us to play some offense, just to stay in the game, but also because when they come down on a 4 on 2 and their shot gets blocked, who wouldn't take the odd man rush opportunity the other way? 

Last game we showed that we could stick right with them when they opened it up. Actually, we dominated them. We had 38 or 39 shot attempts...while Dan Girardi was on the ice. It was our best possession game in years, I believe. 

Let em fly, DDB.

Reading some of his quotes in the BN articles posted here I don't think he's going to let em fly:

“You don’t want to go chance-for-chance with the teams that we’re playing here,” Bylsma said in KeyBank Center. “You don’t want to go offense-for-offense or run-and-gun. You do have to limit what they get by how you play with the puck. That’s a focus for us in the next two games.”

This roughly translates to: I'm telling my team to reel it back on O to focus on D which means don't expect more than one goal from us and we're still going to make bone-headed mistakes on D and give up goals

Jack cannot go into every scrum along the boards the way he would if uninjured because every defender in the league is applying knees and sticks to the injured area in those scrums and it will never heal like that.

Reading some of his quotes in the BN articles posted here I don't think he's going to let em fly:

“You don’t want to go chance-for-chance with the teams that we’re playing here,” Bylsma said in KeyBank Center. “You don’t want to go offense-for-offense or run-and-gun. You do have to limit what they get by how you play with the puck. That’s a focus for us in the next two games.”

This roughly translates to: I'm telling my team to reel it back on O to focus on D which means don't expect more than one goal from us and we're still going to make bone-headed mistakes on D and give up goals

at some point he has to cut em loose,doesn't he? I'm afraid he'll be gone before he realizes that.

Cool pic, but the dude in the background looks none to happy about the whole thing.

he hates the Sabres Edited by Murray's Rats

Something is not adding up here. The tall dude is 7'3. So that's only a little over a foot between the top of Zemgus' head and the top of the dude's head?

It looks like 18 inches gap, at least, in the picture.

My guess is it's sort of an optical allusion based on how Zemgus is standing (not at full height) and where the camera angle is.

Or Porzingis is on his tippy toes.  

Wasn't the pick booed, when the Knicks took Porzingis? And isn't he a fantastic player now?

Yes it was. A lot of the talking heads didn't like the pick, so Knicks fans did what they do. Now he's awesome.

...and zemgus is terrible.

What would happen if Pegula fired Bylsma without consulting Murray? I'd love to see the follow up presser from GMTM.

lolol!!! There is NO way GMTM could look as stupid, foolish, and lost as Whaley did.  Guy looked like a fish out of water.  Murray is quite a bit smarter and sharper than that, and is skilled with the press.  

Edited by Jsixspd

FWIW, the NHL average for goals scored per game this year is 2.68 and ranges between 3.46 (CBJ) and 2.05 (COL) (BUF is 2.14). I'm not surprised that the Sabres are pretty good when scoring more than 2, as there are only 5 teams that average 3 or more goals.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-goals-per-game/2016/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.