GDT: Buffalo at NY Rangers 7:00 pm ET, 1/3/2017, NBCSN

Doohickie

Interesting side note on Toronto. They have won 6 of their last 8 games, 4 in OT/SO. And 7 of their last 10 games have gone into OT, the last 4 in a row. Wonder how much longer the young guys can keep up with the NHL grind going into OT more often than not. If they do make the playoffs, they are gonna be shot.

Don't worry, the Leafs are not making the playoffs!

:rolleyes:

God I hate that NBCSN play-by-play guy.

He kept neglecting to mention our game against Chicago. At least twice he said our next game was in Winnipeg on Saturday. We're playing Chicago on their own network on Thursday!

Then the Rangers got a power play and he goes "A chance for the Sabres to get back in it". I think we were up 2-0 at that point.

Plus all the stuff about Carlton Bailey others mentioned.

Terrible. I think he was the guy who called the Centennial classic on Sunday too. And he made several glaring mistakes during that game as well.

I hope we don't get stuck with him again on Thursday. And if we do..how could he forget about a game he was calling? He should be fired.

--------------------------------

Nice win for the Sabres. But after the last several games any win is a nice win. I think this makes us 2-0 against the Rags this season.

But I don't know what to make of it. Does it show their real potential? I know this team can score, but we don't seem to most of the time.

We only had 19 shots. Despite 5 power plays. Then again we only allowed like 25, kept them without a shot for like 15 minutes in the 3rd (after a terrible 2nd period giving up 15).

And our power play was was like 1-5? It seems like Lunquist just played a bad game.

But hey, 4 goals (and at least 1 in every period), and some really nice ones at that including Bailey's first. I'll take it!

I'd like to see the same level of effort in our next game on Saturday against Winnipeg Thursday against Chicago, and hope Buffalo Bill's Carlton Bailey's son Justin Bailey plays another good game.

Wow,  after 2 back to back losses to Boston,  probably the low-point of the season,  the Sabres delivered this nice win.   

Maybe Eichel's locker room explosion after the last loss helped the team?   Or the Sabres are just good at playing the Rangers and Lundqvist?  .789 SVG% -  lol

One stat I don't like seeing - overall, a low number of shots on goal (19), and the Sabres had almost as many shots on goal in the 1st period as they did the 2nd and 3rd combined.   We saw that with the first Boston loss too;  they started off strong, and then sat back on their heels for the 2nd and 3rd periods, and it cost them the game.      

Didn't hurt us this time, but it's not optimal.

In the 1st they were supporting the puck w/ a lot of short tape-to-tape & give & go passes. In the 2nd it was back to being Bylsma'd.

Though the shots were fewer in total, they seemed to be higher quality (even in the 1st) than they typically have been. Lower total shots but coming from the slot (both Kane's & Eichel's goals were low slot even, go figure :)) yields more than 1 Gpg. Yea!

In the 1st they were supporting the puck w/ a lot of short tape-to-tape & give & go passes. In the 2nd it was back to being Bylsma'd.

Though the shots were fewer in total, they seemed to be higher quality (even in the 1st) than they typically have been. Lower total shots but coming from the slot (both Kane's & Eichel's goals were low slot even, go figure :)) yields more than 1 Gpg. Yea!

I noticed on their power plays that Samson worked the low corner to the right of the goalie and worked the puck to traffic in front.  Eich's goal was exactly that, but he did it several other times on the PP and I thought a couple of those were good scoring chances that weren't converted.  Kane's goal was more on the rush from the other side, but the same idea:  players rushing the net and putting the puck in a good location to generate a scoring chance.  I remember one beautiful setup to Moulson who got a good shot on goal but didn't beat Henrik.  And Girgensons goal was similar- Gionta took the puck deep in the corner and seemed to delay until Girgs was in a good spot in the slot, then just dumped it to that area and it came free to Girgs.  Yesterday the Sabres seemed a little more concerned with the timing of their shots/passes toward the goal, trying to make sure another forward was in the area before just dumping toward the goal.  When you think about it, all the goals except Bailey's depended on one forward controlling the puck and sending it toward the net from long range while a second was in a good position in the slot for a pass/rebound.  It was most apparent to me on the first goal where it seemed like Gionta deliberately delayed his shot until Girgs could get into position.

God I hate that NBCSN play-by-play guy.

He kept neglecting to mention our game against Chicago. At least twice he said our next game was in Winnipeg on Saturday. We're playing Chicago on their own network on Thursday!

Then the Rangers got a power play and he goes "A chance for the Sabres to get back in it". I think we were up 2-0 at that point.

Plus all the stuff about Carlton Bailey others mentioned.

Terrible. I think he was the guy who called the Centennial classic on Sunday too. And he made several glaring mistakes during that game as well.

I hope we don't get stuck with him again on Thursday. And if we do..how could he forget about a game he was calling? He should be fired.

--------------------------------

Nice win for the Sabres. But after the last several games any win is a nice win. I think this makes us 2-0 against the Rags this season.

But I don't know what to make of it. Does it show their real potential? I know this team can score, but we don't seem to most of the time.

We only had 19 shots. Despite 5 power plays. Then again we only allowed like 25, kept them without a shot for like 15 minutes in the 3rd (after a terrible 2nd period giving up 15).

And our power play was was like 1-5? It seems like Lunquist just played a bad game.

But hey, 4 goals (and at least 1 in every period), and some really nice ones at that including Bailey's first. I'll take it!

I'd like to see the same level of effort in our next game on Saturday against Winnipeg Thursday against Chicago, and hope Buffalo Bill's Carlton Bailey's son Justin Bailey plays another good game.

That was Kenny Albert. At one point when talking about Bailey's father he said he went to 3 straight superbowls with the Buffalo Sabres. He was all over the place last night.

That was Kenny Albert. At one point when talking about Bailey's father he said he went to 3 straight superbowls with the Buffalo Sabres. He was all over the place last night.

He was terrible. At one point he was talking about the Sabres and said the Bills. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere between his head and his mouth.

Thats what it was Doohickie. Talking about the Bills and said the Sabres.

Edited by bunomatic

Hmm. So not the same guy then. From what I could find John Forslund called the Centennial Classic. I guess he's the Canes play-by-play guy, who I was never impressed with either.

I wish NBCSN would bring back Joe Beninati from the Capitals. He always seems to know every player on both teams. Just so long as they don't hire the Capitals color guy. He's terrible.

Kenny is Marv Albert's son. A lot of his family has done broadcasting too. I had no idea.

Apparently Kenny does 4 different sports, so it's no wonder he gets confused. He probably thought he was calling a Curling match. Or a football game with really bad field conditions.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

Great term.    If Bylsma were an NFL coach, he'd switch to 'prevent mode' halfway thru the 2nd quarter.    Plus, he doesn't seem to learn - he got burnt with that strategy in the 1st Boston game.    So why not try it again against the Rangers?  They got lucky this time.  

More playing to not lose, vs playing to win.  Signature Bylsma.  Sometimes it works (last night) - too often it doesn't.   It's a cliche, but the team needs to play 3 full periods of hockey.      

My two cents on the Gorges trade ...

He was brought in here to be veteran influence on young players coming up during terrible seasons and to try to hold things together.  Now, that could have been any number of veteran Dmen around.

The biggest reason it was Gorges, as opposed to anyone else, is the fact that Montreal wanted to move him and they had a deal with the Leaves.  He refused to waive his NTC to go to Toronto, but would to go to the Sabres.  IMO, that was the only reason why it was him and not someone else ... instant credibility to a terrible Sabre team.

-----

A great win last night.

Pretty complete game by the Sabres, but the Rangers did not seem to have it.  It looks like the Sabres play much better against good teams and it looks like those better teams, at times, think the Sabres are a push-over, which often they are.  Anyway, I'll take it.

Bailey looks very good and Kane and Samson are getting into it.  I am going to really enjoy Eich and Sam on the PP for years to come ... they are really finding their groove, most times anyway.

In my mind there is no question that this Swede is our #1 goalie ... hey there MODO.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I think there was a bit more to that in the Gorges trade.  Yes, other Dmen could have provided veteran leadership, but I think Gorges has brought the young guys along *very* well and I'm glad he's been part of the team.  He still plays okay most of the time despite creaky wheels.  At this point though I'd prefer to not have him on the top pairing.  I wish our D was stable enough to put him in the bottom pair or even 7D.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.