GDT: Buffalo at NY Rangers 7:00 pm ET, 1/3/2017, NBCSN

Doohickie

You're right.  GMTM needs to move Gorges now so there is no pressure on DDB to play the veteran over Fedun. 

And this is a good point. It's easy to sit and complain as a fan, but there are very real locker room dynamics going on with stuff like that, which is why literally every coach in the league makes lineup decisions like that that fans hate and are detrimental to the team. I hope GMTM tries and succeeds in finding a place to dish Gorges off at the deadline. Josh can get one more shot at the playoffs, we can be better.

There hasn't been a single thing this season to make me think that Gorges should play over Fedun, or that Gorges should be an NHL regular, but you know he's going to get his 22 minutes as soon as he's back.

Gorges might have lost a step but what he's teaching the young guys will be around long after he's gone

And this is a good point. It's easy to sit and complain as a fan, but there are very real locker room dynamics going on with stuff like that, which is why literally every coach in the league makes lineup decisions like that that fans hate and are detrimental to the team. I hope GMTM tries and succeeds in finding a place to dish Gorges off at the deadline. Josh can get one more shot at the playoffs, we can be better.

He's going to be tough to move since he's still going to make $3.9M next year.

Can anyone explain why we traded for him in the first place?

Didn't we sign him as a FA?

Wait, no, he came from the habs, right? What did we give up?

Edited by sodbuster

It was a legit move to bring in an NHL player to play defense and be a leader during the tank. It sucks that Nolan ground him into dust, if he wasn't done already at that time.

Franson was there to help Bogosian out, who had a few miscues but also wasn't nearly as bad as he has been the last few before this one IMO. And I still want Falk-Fedun to continue to be sheltered, but I think it's safe to dump a few more of Risto/McCabe's minutes off onto them if Risto/McCabe are up near 30 again.

It was a legit move to bring in an NHL player to play defense and be a leader during the tank. It sucks that Nolan ground him into dust, if he wasn't done already at that time.

Franson was there to help Bogosian out, who had a few miscues but also wasn't nearly as bad as he has been the last few before this one IMO. And I still want Falk-Fedun to continue to be sheltered, but I think it's safe to dump a few more of Risto/McCabe's minutes off onto them if Risto/McCabe are up near 30 again.

That is Gorges. The tank teams did a number on him both physically and mentally and his knees have never been the same.

Was a good trade regardless, MIN's 2nd we got in the Moulson deal if I remember correctly. He's a leader and a teacher, not so good as a player anymore but still not entirely useless. I'd honestly keep him as a 7th Dman if only Bylsma would stay with that. Then he could still be a locker room presence, and play a game occasionally and likely look a tad better due to the additional rest. But we all know he'll get 22 min again when he gets back and look burned out thanks to it.

Almost all of Reinhart's assists are primary, too.

And he's only 4 short of his entire assist total from last season.

Are you ready to see him back at wing when ROR comes back? I'm not, but we sure will. 

Of course they did, because Toronto. That team is an unmitigated disaster defensively. Still super fun, though.

They've blown multi-goal leads in each of their last four games. Heh.

Are you ready to see him back at wing when ROR comes back? I'm not, but we sure will. 

Unsurprising. Last I looked they were near the bottom of the league in shot suppression; they just make up for it with really high end shot generation. It's like a modern incarnation of firewagon hockey.

Unsurprising. Last I looked they were near the bottom of the league in shot suppression; they just make up for it with really high end shot generation. It's like a modern incarnation of firewagon hockey.

I'm jealousssssss

Separately: 

Bailey on 1st goal: "It's amazing. When I got back to the bench, I was overcome with an emotion I can't really describe."

Bailey was eager to call his mother: "It's going to be emotional for both of us. My mom has been my biggest fan by a country mile." #Sabres

I sincerely hope that's not the case. Not only is it best for Reinhart's development to be at centre now, it's clearly best for the team as well. Even Dan must have noticed how much better Sam's been at centre, right?

.......right?

Almost all of Reinhart's assists are primary, too.

And he's only 4 short of his entire assist total from last season.

Sophomore Slump.  Trade him!

Bailey was eager to call his mother: "It's going to be emotional for both of us. My mom has been my biggest fan by a country mile." #Sabres

I cried a little when I read that.  Admit it.  You did too.

I sincerely hope that's not the case. Not only is it best for Reinhart's development to be at centre now, it's clearly best for the team as well. Even Dan must have noticed how much better Sam's been at centre, right?

.......right?

Gawd I hope so.

The thing is... even when ROR comes back you can put Sam on the third line as C (which will actually be Line 1C.... how awesome would that be?), let Girgs center the 4th line, send Grant down where he belongs (I like Grant and as much as people here beat on him, he's been an important part of the team so far this year), and bring up some of the wing talent- Bailey, Baptiste, maybe even a taste of Nylander after World Juniors. 

They might not make the playoffs this year, but they can start Building the Bully that will grind the ###### down next year by rolling three scoring lines and have a talented shut-down line. Just a little more D (Guhle in place of Gorges perhaps, let Gorges be 7D), with Falk and Fedun our depth in the minors, this team could be really, really good.

And just to put my enthusiasm into perspective, this quote from two games ago:

I HATE THIS TEAM.

I want to believe.  Make me believe.

Edited by Doohickie

Girgensons with a strong game. When he's at center he's a more effective all around player than Larsson. Glad he's finally getting the chance again.

I'd be willing to say he's more effective at center than he is at wing, but not sure he's more effective at center than Larsson at center.

Hey True, that 4-2 Leafs lead? They lost 6-5 in OT :lol:

Interesting side note on Toronto. They have won 6 of their last 8 games, 4 in OT/SO. And 7 of their last 10 games have gone into OT, the last 4 in a row. Wonder how much longer the young guys can keep up with the NHL grind going into OT more often than not. If they do make the playoffs, they are gonna be shot.

Great game... but the lag in the second period was painful at times.  So few shots on net...  

Still, they have to beat the top notch teams.. hopefully it keeps rolling for them.

I didn't mind the second period, they didn't give a lot of quality chances, and somehow we still seemed in control.

Wow,  after 2 back to back losses to Boston,  probably the low-point of the season,  the Sabres delivered this nice win.   

Maybe Eichel's locker room explosion after the last loss helped the team?   Or the Sabres are just good at playing the Rangers and Lundqvist?  .789 SVG% -  lol

One stat I don't like seeing - overall, a low number of shots on goal (19), and the Sabres had almost as many shots on goal in the 1st period as they did the 2nd and 3rd combined.   We saw that with the first Boston loss too;  they started off strong, and then sat back on their heels for the 2nd and 3rd periods, and it cost them the game.      

Didn't hurt us this time, but it's not optimal.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.