Sweet '16: SabreSpace selects its Goal of the Year

PASabreFan

Over the past few days, I've watched every goal the Buffalo Sabres scored in 2016. Don't pity me. Or pat me on the back. As George Costanza once told a woman, after claiming he had designed the new addition to the Guggenheim Museum — it really didn't take that long.

Why would it? In the 80 games in the calendar year, the Sabres scored one goal or no goals 30 times.

Alas, in the National Hockey League, all goals are minor miracles, and 16 of these Buffalo chips I've selected as candidates for Goal of the Year were miraculous and then some. There was patience, generosity, perfect timing, determination. Footwork to make Rex Ryan weak and silky mitts to make... sorry, I lost my train of thought.

My choices for your consideration are filthy, classy, weird and dramatic. In an unintended way until the very end, they are honorific of four of The Aud Club's lost souls. And so in our contest there will be four divisions with four like goals each. The filthy ones? What else but the Ghost of Dwight Drane Division? Classy? Why, the X. Benedict Division, of course. Weird? Introducing the Yuri Olesha Division. And what other entity could properly contain the dramatic but the Hoss Division?

Four separate voting threads will follow. Voting in the opening round will be open until noon on Monday. Then the four division winners will meet in the semifinal, and those two winners in the final.  NS has graciously donated funds for a commemorative Cusp.

To spice things up, if anyone nominates a goal I didn't select and can get two co-signers, I'll add a wild card goal (or goals) to the mix (four maximum).

Here we go now!

Thanks for the pins.

Early overnight voting shows the Kane goal giving prohibitive overall favorite the Eichel OT winner a run for its money in the powerhouse Hoss Division. The Foligno goal and the Legwand goal are performing very well in the Drane and Olesha Divisions, but would they have any chance of pulling a major surprise and advancing to the final? Meanwhile, the Eichel roof job is pulling ahead in the very strong Benedict Division.

As Dan Rather used to say on election night, this armadillo won't hunt till sunset. Or something.

In watching all these replays, one thing comes to mind,…

wait for it,…

Rob Ray is much better than people give him credit for.

I like him.

RJ really seems to like him and they are having fun together. I hope they are both calling games when there is some truly good hockey for them to call.

There was a LOT of effort put into this.  This is the old PA, the "This Day in Sabres History" PA.

Thanks, man.  Happy New Year.

I think you are right on here.  This had to take considerable time.  Thanks, PA.

And, 11 ... Happy New Year to you.  It is good to see you.

In watching all these replays, one thing comes to mind,…

wait for it,…

Rob Ray is much better than people give him credit for.

I've been meaning to mention this. I really enjoy his input, especially recently. I don't need to hear a regurgitation of the play that just happened before the whistle, and it seems like a lot of guys just do that.

He might not be as good for radio-only listeners.

At the end of the opening round, David Legwand's goal is the overwhelming winner of the Olesha Division and surprise top seed in the semifinal round with 22 votes.

Jack's overtime goal pulled away from Kane's pass to Reinhart after tallies from the ginger block starting coming in. With 20 votes, the goal is winner of the Hoss Division and second seed.

Marcus Foligno's shorthanded goal blew away the competition in the Drane Division with 19 votes and takes the third seed.

And Jack's top shelf goal handily won the Benedict Division, but its 18 votes and resulting fourth seed slot is a bit of a stunner.

In the semifinal round, with voting to start momentarily and end at noon on Tuesday, it's Legwand vs. Jack's roof job in an intriguing matchup that's too close to call. Is Legwand's goal the Trump of this contest?

In the other semifinal, it's contest favorite Jack's OT goal versus the upstart Foligno shortie. Can Marcus' magic overcome Eichel Magic? It would be a shocker. But Marcus has already whipped two Eichel highlights to get this far, so don't put it past him!

I wonder if we'll score enough goals this season to make this a yearly thing... :)

Seriously though PA, this is great and I know it had taken some real time on your part!!

Thanks. If I was smart, I wouldn't wait until late December to review the goals. I'd do that as we go. Everyone can offer an instant nomination for Goal of the Year too.

As Nate Silver accurately predicted, it'll be Eichel vs. Jack for SabreSpace Goal of the Year.

In the semis, Eichel's top shelfer bounced and trounced Legwand's hideous tally, 26-6; and Jack's epic overtime goal beat Foligno's shortie, 22-10, with Marcus staging a late and futile rally.

On to the final. Voting will open shortly and close at noon on Thursday.

As Nate Silver accurately predicted, it'll be Eichel vs. Jack for SabreSpace Goal of the Year.

In the semis, Eichel's top shelfer bounced and trounced Legwand's hideous tally, 26-6; and Jack's epic overtime goal beat Foligno's shortie, 22-10, with Marcus staging a late and futile rally.

On to the final. Voting will open shortly and close at noon on Thursday.

Again thanks for the effort it took to do this. It's actually - dare I say - fun participating in this tournament.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.