2017 World Junior Championships

Brawndo

That's about right. Maybe the Americans were 75%? That was the semifinal, yes? I was there.

I didn't see the US-Canada game live, but I remember the crowd being very skewed.

I DID see a couple of other US games, there were plenty of Canadians there, and they unanimously cheered for whomever the US was playing against.

Aside from the Reffing being bad, the thing I think makes these games, like college basketball, so watchable is both the enthusiasm... not fake crab you see in the pros, but real  raw emotion... and the energy level even when mistakes are made.  The skaters go back and forth... there is no effective neutral zone trap... no stacking the line or double covering the other teams best receivers.  In this one both goalies stood on their heads despite the number of goals given up.  Which is why I love watching college hockey...  Pro hockey imo, especially in the last month and during the playoffs is the closest in the professional ranks and soccer during the world cup where you see this combination of raw skill, enthusiasm and unfettered emotion.   I love watching games whatever they are played with this kind of atmosphere generated from the players.  High school basketball and hockey while not as as skilled if both teams have talent produce these kind of games.... Neat stuff.

It's a great point.  I think professionals play with a emotion but it's not as unfettered as you see in the amateur ranks.  Perhaps you can chalk it up to the fact that while they are playing a game it is their job now and even if their job is their passion it's different than when it's only just passion.

I didn't see the US-Canada game live, but I remember the crowd being very skewed.

I DID see a couple of other US games, there were plenty of Canadians there, and they unanimously cheered for whomever the US was playing against.

The Canadians should root for anyone playing the US just as I root for anyone (except Russia) playing Canada. The enemy of my enemy is my friend! :)

• 5 months later...

Because the idea was to make the front of our national junior team's jersey resemble the Bills brand.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's sorta gross. On principle.

Didn't Dallas do this one year, although with smaller numbers, as a third?

DCSfeJ2UQAATYuh.jpg

On the one hand, sorta fun that Team USA will wear a commemorative jersey that is a dead ringer for the Bills jersey when they play in the Bills' stadium.

On the other hand, this is the sort of cheap gimmick that has Russ Brandon's fingerprints all over it.

So if the Yanks are wearing old school (& current) Bills unis, will the 'Nucks wear old school Hamilton Ti-Cats jerseys to commemorate how back in the old AFL days the 2 teams played in the preseason?

Now that would be awesome!

Because the idea was to make the front of our national junior team's jersey resemble the Bills brand.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's sorta gross. On principle.

Yea, I'm not a fan. At all. How many of these kids give a rat's backside about the Bills, Buffalo, or #onebuffalo? As practice jerseys I wouldn't care at all. But game jerseys? Yuck.

Yea, I'm not a fan. At all. How many of these kids give a rat's backside about the Bills, Buffalo, or #onebuffalo? As practice jerseys I wouldn't care at all. But game jerseys? Yuck.

Shoot, how many of these kids will even realize that those are Bills unis unless they're from WNY? The Bills haven't made the playoffs since they were nursing & they seem to only be on national TV in "color rush" games.

"Huh, the Bills don't always wear red head to toe? Who knew?" :lol:

This does have the markings of a RB gimmick all over it, but who cares? It isn't effecting the on ice product in any appreciable way. (Not even of USA Hockey's on ice product. ;)) Hopefully he continues to be involved in stuff like this & leaves the heavy lifting to JB & BB.

It flies in the face of everything you're taught as a player.... you play for what's on the front* of the jersey, not what's on the back.... 

* - or above the number on the front of the jersey if playing an outdoor world junior game in Buffalo

Edited by pi2000

It flies in the face of everything you're taught as a player.... you play for what's on the front* of the jersey, not what's on the back....

* - or above the number on the front of the jersey if playing an outdoor world junior game in Buffalo

I have always hated that quote.

The name on the front is who you play for. The name on the back represents the people that raised you. You need to do them both justice.

Yup. It's entirely I'll-advised. It's rare you see twitter so universally aligned in opinion: these jerseys suck.

How does everyone have the energy to be angry at everything?

It's a jersey for a team that most people don't even know exists.

And "those poor kids" are playing hockey in a football stadium. I'll say it again. They are playing hockey in a football stadium, in a region that will support them more than any other anywhere else in the country, imho. It will most likely be the largest crowd that any of them have ever played in front of before and they will be blown away by the whole experience. If their "penance" is that they have wear the local football team's colors (whose stadium they are playing in), then I am sure they are doing it gladly.

Jebus.

How does everyone have the energy to be angry at everything?

It's a ###### jersey for a team that most people don't even know exists.

And "those poor kids" are playing hockey in a football stadium. I'll say it again. They are playing hockey in a football stadium, in a region that will support them more than any other anywhere else in the country, imho. It will most likely be the largest crowd that any of them have ever played in front of before and they will be blown away by the whole experience. If their "penance" is that they have wear the local football team's colors (whose stadium they are playing in), then I am sure they are doing it gladly.

Jebus.

Well said.  

Ir doesn't take much (any?) energy to have a visceral reaction to something that you just don't like, for whatever reason.

And I'm not much worried about the kids who will don the jerseys. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

My reasons for disliking the design decision are upthread: Keep brand promotion ideas away from a jersey representing your country.

Ir doesn't take much (any?) energy to have a visceral reaction to something that you just don't like, for whatever reason.

And I'm not much worried about the kids who will don the jerseys. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

My reasons for disliking the design decision are upthread: Keep brand promotion ideas away from a jersey representing your country.

Right. We are all worried about ads on jerseys. They just skipped all the way to the entire jersey being an ad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.