2017 World Junior Championships

Brawndo

Please, we all know the fans will be Canadian there as well.

The officiating was horrible and early on there were some seriously screwed up no calls or calls.  The first goal should never have happened due to the tackle that occurred behind the Canada net.  The "cross-check" was also quite obviously a horrible call.  Jaffe wanted to admit it but had to cage his statement.

They blew calls everywhere.. some were much more obvious than others.  

Great game overall though... man.

I agree LTS the blown calls went both ways. As they do in most games it evens out. Thankfully our GDTs aren't filled with the over emotional garbage whining from a few long time posters we witnessed last night. The board would likely lose more dedicated followers. I started to point out blown calls that went against Canada later in the game just to demonstrate that no, there isn't some world wide conspiracy against the U.S. but were any of those blown calls acknowledged. No not really. Some people can't see past their own nose. All that aside that was a fantastic game and one of the better finals I've watched. The U.S. kept coming back and in the end the better team won. Congrats. It was a treat.

Eyooooo.

Hey Canadians, how does it feel when your kids lose to a country in which hockey is like the 10th sport that kids choose to play, when it's all you guys ever do?BTW, I'm just messing around. Love you guys <3

Donald. Trump. /ends discussion

Good game. Nice win. Lets have less whining next time o.k. ;)

I've seen much more whining about a couple of fair complaints about bad calls, than I've seen whining about the calls themselves, I can say that much.

I shut it off as soon as the minor against the US was called early in the third.  I woke up to a pleasant surprise this morning.

And for all the Canadians on Twitter (NOT here) who are complaining that the better team lost because of what amounts to a coin flip, I must remind them that this is not the first US win over Canada in this tournament.

Edited by Eleven

I've seen much more whining about a couple of fair complaints about bad calls, then  I've seen whining about the calls themselves, I can say that much.

I shut it off as soon as the minor against the US was called early in the third.  I woke up to a pleasant surprise this morning.

And for all the Canadians on Twitter (NOT here) who are complaining that the better team lost because of what amounts to a coin flip, I must remind them that this is not the first US win over Canada in this tournament.

I think Canadians are starting to get a little nervous at how far the US has come in terms of hockey talent. I think Canada will always produce the big time superstars, but the US is closing the gap as more young kids are playing hockey down here. Who ever woulda thought a kid from the Arizona desert would become a number 1 pick for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

I've seen much more whining about a couple of fair complaints about bad calls, than I've seen whining about the calls themselves, I can say that much.

Not sure about the twits from Toronto I don't use twitter but all I'll say Eleven is calls were called or let go both ways all game. Much the same as the playoffs. Some can't objectively see it from both sides. I will say despite the vitriol in the thread that was a great game.

I think Canadians are starting to get a little nervous at how far the US has come in terms of hockey talent. I think Canada will always produce the big time superstars, but the US is closing the gap as more young kids are playing hockey down here. Who ever woulda thought a kid from the Arizona desert would become a number 1 pick for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Not nervous I say its about time and I welcome it. Who wouldn't ? Its great for the game. Growing the game into other markets has always been the goal of the league and hockey in general. No one has or deserves a monopoly on this great game. I'm looking forward to many more games against the U.S.

Not sure about the twits from Toronto I don't use twitter but all I'll say Eleven is calls were called or let go both ways all game. Much the same as the playoffs. Some can't objectively see it from both sides. I will say despite the vitriol in the thread that was a great game.

Not nervous I say its about time and I welcome it. Who wouldn't ? Its great for the game. Growing the game into other markets has always been the goal of the league and hockey in general. No one has or deserves a monopoly on this great game. I'm looking forward to many more games against the U.S.

I agree. I've been watching hockey over 40 years and it's nice to see how much hockey has developed in the US over that time.

I was just going by some of the tweets I was reading from Canadian fans that seem real salty about last night's game. Not saying all Canadian are nervous, but there are plenty that don't like what's happening. Same could be said for fans in every country.

I agree LTS the blown calls went both ways. As they do in most games it evens out. Thankfully our GDTs aren't filled with the over emotional garbage whining from a few long time posters we witnessed last night. The board would likely lose more dedicated followers. I started to point out blown calls that went against Canada later in the game just to demonstrate that no, there isn't some world wide conspiracy against the U.S. but were any of those blown calls acknowledged. No not really. Some people can't see past their own nose. All that aside that was a fantastic game and one of the better finals I've watched. The U.S. kept coming back and in the end the better team won. Congrats. It was a treat.

Well,  I'll admit that after a few of those calls last night I was muttering BS about the refs wanting to make it out of the arena unscathed by the fans (I may have said F Canada but that might have been the whiskey talking).  The timing of the call or no-call and the subsequent result can also impact the egregiousness of the mistake.

How the referee did not call full on tackling behind the Canada net is beyond me.  The fact that it led directly to a goal is what makes it worse.

Then the timing of the "cross-check" penalty also plays into its magnitude.  That and the fact that it was just an absolutely horrendous call.

I'm not going to analyze the game but I do know that in the 3rd and especially in OT the infractions were not called on the US either and I saw a few of them.  

Still, a HELL of a game.  It was fun to watch even though I missed some of it because I was flipping back and forth and at one point my cable box locked up leading to me missing 10 minutes of both games. (GRRRR).

^

The watchability factor of that game is really something to ponder - it was just fun to watch.

In what other sport can you diminish the overall level of talent by so much and yet yield such a game that is so much more fun to watch? 

Tons of mistakes and turnovers in the gold medal game - but that's what made it so engaging to watch.

I guess the key is to still have world-class talent on display, and more or less cut them loose without too much coaching or structure.

It was.. I meant to comment.  I hate the shootout to decide this.  Of course the World Cup (Soccer) is decided this way too if need be isn't it?

By the end of the OT those kids looked exhausted.  It was similar to watching NHL playoffs when teams get to late 2OT or into 3OT.  They leave everything they have out there.

Can't speak for all Canadian hockey fans obviously but I really don't think this is the case. I'm so glad the world has caught up. I love the game of hockey and for years and years we were to hockey as the Americans are to basketball. I remember growing up watching this tournament and 10-1 wins were not the exception but the norm. Not just the U.S. But I'm glad countries like Sweden, Finland and Russia (ok they were always pretty good) have developed the coaching and systems to bring the level up to what it is today. Even with canada losing last night I was throughly enjoyed. End to end action and a hell of a game. I'd rather that and lose then going into the finals and knowing it's a guaranteed 3 plus goal win like 20 years ago.

Also, U.S. Won fair and square but what a disappointing finish to end it in the shootout. Preliminary round robin games fine but all elimination games should be changed to unlimited sudden death ot like nhl playoffs. I know I could have used another period or two of ot last night.

Can't speak for all Canadian hockey fans obviously but I really don't think this is the case. I'm so glad the world has caught up. I love the game of hockey and for years and years we were to hockey as the Americans are to basketball. I remember growing up watching this tournament and 10-1 wins were not the exception but the norm. Not just the U.S. But I'm glad countries like Sweden, Finland and Russia (ok they were always pretty good) have developed the coaching and systems to bring the level up to what it is today. Even with canada losing last night I was throughly enjoyed. End to end action and a hell of a game. I'd rather that and lose then going into the finals and knowing it's a guaranteed 3 plus goal win like 20 years ago.

Also, U.S. Won fair and square but what a disappointing finish to end it in the shootout. Preliminary round robin games fine but all elimination games should be changed to unlimited sudden death ot like nhl playoffs. I know I could have used another period or two of ot last night.

I should have worded my post ddifferently. I didn't mean it to sound like I was talking about all Canadian fans. But from what I read on Twitter and elsewhere, there were plenty of fans who were none to happy about the US winning the gold at "their sport". And the people bashing Matthews for supporting his own country is just pathetic. Edited by Claude Balls

^

The watchability factor of that game is really something to ponder - it was just fun to watch.

In what other sport can you diminish the overall level of talent by so much and yet yield such a game that is so much more fun to watch? 

Tons of mistakes and turnovers in the gold medal game - but that's what made it so engaging to watch.

I guess the key is to still have world-class talent on display, and more or less cut them loose without too much coaching or structure.

I'd venture to say "most of them", sorry. Bad football can be great; fumbles, interceptions, big runs, safeties, etc.). Bad soccer is great because there's scoring. Bad racing has lots of crashes. It does depend, though. Bad baseball where no one can hit would be insufferable; bad baseball were the ball is flying around and fielders are missing plays sounds pretty cool.

I'd venture to say "most of them", sorry. Bad football can be great; fumbles, interceptions, big runs, safeties, etc.). Bad soccer is great because there's scoring. Bad racing has lots of crashes. It does depend, though. Bad baseball where no one can hit would be insufferable; bad baseball were the ball is flying around and fielders are missing plays sounds pretty cool.

My grandfather stopped watching baseball in the '80's or '90's because he said the players got too good and it wasn't as fun to watch anymore.

I'm guess not sure about that.

I think there's something peculiar about the comparison between the U20 World Juniors and the NHL. I can watch that tournament and sort of forget that I'm not watching the pros, the world's absolute best, because the way those kids play is good enough to make that gap go away. In other settings - college hoops, college foobaw, for example - I am often acutely aware of the limitations of the players and the game (but can still enjoy it, obviously).

See, it's par for the course international officiating for you, that's why everything seems normal.

I'm Canadian. The officiating in this game was terrible. USA WAS getting hosed. I was rooting for Canada. I do however think this game was NOT exactly par for the course. There will be home biased calls from time to time, but not like this. This was different and on another level.

So the officials calling a correct penalty negates all the BS from before, that directly led to two goals and then momentum for two more after.

Canadian hockey fans, lemme tell ya.

Come on, man!

It has nothing to do with nationality, it's basic human psychology with pressure and noise and whatnot. There's a reason sports books give home teams an edge, all else equal.

Yup, and things like last change, too.

Keller has been awesome this OT.

He was pretty invisible before that, though. Greenway was a beast.

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper 7m7 minutes ago

Doesn't matter who wins now. Needed this final decided #WJC2017 in OT. This ending is as horrible as some of the calls tonight.

Pure blooded American bias and whining right there :angel:

Assquatch lives!

Kyper is full of shite though. Don't tell me he wasn't rejoicing when Toews carried us to that shootout win.

Boy, that silver medal goes real nice with red and black.

Everyone in Canada is crapping themselves because USA hockey is slowly closing the gap.

Of course. It's only a matter of time. As hockey gets more popular there, your population is so much bigger that even with less kids playing per capita, the talent pool will catch up. Already is. Canada v USA is THE hockey rivalry and will stay that way. We aren't crapping ourselves, it's exciting. At least I see it that way.

You must have had your silver medal clogging your ears. Or dare I say, silver participation trophy?

He was probably borrowing Ryan Miller's. ;)

Eyooooo.

Hey Canadians, how does it feel when your kids lose to a country in which hockey is like the 10th sport that kids choose to play, when it's all you guys ever do?BTW, I'm just messing around. Love you guys <3

I know that was half sarcasm, but USA is evening the playing field. It's not the 10th choice, and as more kids start playing there, your sheer population size is closing the gap as the game grows in popularity there. It's a good thing.

We'll get you guys next year :beer:

Edited by Thorny

We'll get you guys next year :beer:

Man, I can't even think about watching Canada win the gold in Buffalo. That would be brutal. Let us win next year, then you can have the rest. Even though it's in Buffalo next year, I think the crowd will be at least 40% Canadian. Won't be much of a home crowd advantage like it was in Montreal. Should be a great environment.

Aside from the Reffing being bad, the thing I think makes these games, like college basketball, so watchable is both the enthusiasm... not fake crab you see in the pros, but real  raw emotion... and the energy level even when mistakes are made.  The skaters go back and forth... there is no effective neutral zone trap... no stacking the line or double covering the other teams best receivers.  In this one both goalies stood on their heads despite the number of goals given up.  Which is why I love watching college hockey...  Pro hockey imo, especially in the last month and during the playoffs is the closest in the professional ranks and soccer during the world cup where you see this combination of raw skill, enthusiasm and unfettered emotion.   I love watching games whatever they are played with this kind of atmosphere generated from the players.  High school basketball and hockey while not as as skilled if both teams have talent produce these kind of games.... Neat stuff.

Man, I can't even think about watching Canada win the gold in Buffalo. That would be brutal. Let us win next year, then you can have the rest. Even though it's in Buffalo next year, I think the crowd will be at least 40% Canadian. Won't be much of a home crowd advantage like it was in Montreal. Should be a great environment.

That's right, I temporarily forgot it's in Buffalo next year. I'll have a soft spot for Team USA in that tournament knowing all the fine SabreSpace folks who may be taking in the action first hand.

Aside from the Reffing being bad, the thing I think makes these games, like college basketball, so watchable is both the enthusiasm... not fake crab you see in the pros, but real  raw emotion... and the energy level even when mistakes are made.  The skaters go back and forth... there is no effective neutral zone trap... no stacking the line or double covering the other teams best receivers.  In this one both goalies stood on their heads despite the number of goals given up.  Which is why I love watching college hockey...  Pro hockey imo, especially in the last month and during the playoffs is the closest in the professional ranks and soccer during the world cup where you see this combination of raw skill, enthusiasm and unfettered emotion.   I love watching games whatever they are played with this kind of atmosphere generated from the players.  High school basketball and hockey while not as as skilled if both teams have talent produce these kind of games.... Neat stuff.

That's a good point. It was one of the best hockey games I've seen in recent memory.

If it's anything like 2011, the crowd will be about 80% Canadian.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.