The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Uh, I think we could assist with some anecdotal evidence of this phenomenon.

I say no way they could get the angle up to 50 degrees before they slide to the other side. The average run of the mill beginner ski slope is about 15 degrees. The ice rink is obviously 0 degrees. Intermediate slopes hit about 25ish degrees. 37 degrees is steep. 50 degrees? and an ice rink to boot? That would be an elevator shaft.

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

I say no way they could get the angle up to 50 degrees before they slide to the other side. The average run of the mill beginner ski slope is about 15 degrees. The ice rink is obviously 0 degrees. Intermediate slopes hit about 25ish degrees. 37 degrees is steep. 50 degrees? and an ice rink to boot? That would be an elevator shaft.

I could have sworn the ice was at least 45 degrees tilted into a Sabres end a few times this year...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Hockey skates aren't skis though. You can get a really aggressive angle of attack relative to the ice while still maintaining grip. 50 degrees seems reasonable to me. 

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Hockey skates aren't skis though. You can get a really aggressive angle of attack relative to the ice while still maintaining grip. 50 degrees seems reasonable to me. 

I think the point here is OtherRandall did the math and figured to stop from X m/s in Y m, the player's body is temporarily at 50 degrees from perpendicular to balance the forces. At least, that's how I took it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Maybe if you're standing at a hockey stop position and dug in. I took it as they are playing hockey and we just started tilting the rink. 

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

Maybe if you're standing at a hockey stop position and dug in. I took it as they are playing hockey and we just started tilting the rink. 

Sure. But you're going to fight to maintain your edges while the rink is tilting. 

You ever watched Red Bull Crashed Ice? They make them climb back up the ramp some times and there are some very steep slopes on that course. 

48 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Sure. But you're going to fight to maintain your edges while the rink is tilting. 

You ever watched Red Bull Crashed Ice? They make them climb back up the ramp some times and there are some very steep slopes on that course. 

I was going to ask you about crashed ice. 

I'll concede if they are skating back up the entry ramp. From my vast expertise in watching crashed ice about 6 times, I'd put the drop in ramp at just under 45 degrees. Except for the ones with a legit 3 foot drop. Those I don't recon that they are skating up.

54 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The longer you don't hear back from a job, the worse that is, right?

Often. Now, I have seen... "inefficiency" between hiring managers, HR, and other groups where they don't get back to a candidate as fast as you'd think, but generally that's not the case.

Somewhat related as IIRC you're a developer: this container stuff is the bomb. I can't believe how many stupid system problems I've had to fight with for years this should be able to solve. I'm digging deep into it as I'm now responsible for a bunch of Kubernetes container infrastructure and orchestration.

Just now, MattPie said:

Often. Now, I have seen... "inefficiency" between hiring managers, HR, and other groups where they don't get back to a candidate as fast as you'd think, but generally that's not the case.

Somewhat related as IIRC you're a developer: this container stuff is the bomb. I can't believe how many stupid system problems I've had to fight with for years this should be able to solve. I'm digging deep into it as I'm now responsible for a bunch of Kubernetes container infrastructure and orchestration.

I'm unfamiliar with that to be honest. Kubernetes containers?

Kubernetes is Google's FOSS container orchestration engine, and it seems to be rapidly becoming a standard. Docker Swarm and some others are competitors. The gist is:

• You create a kubernetes config file that says things like, "I want 3 mysql containers, 3 of these custom httpd containers, these data volumes, these network ports, etc"
  • Kubernetes then has a bunch of worker servers that it starts up those containers and allocates the volumes and network, etc. and makes sure they stay up
  • The containers like small VMs where they're built using a script (usually a Dockerfile) the same way every time; in this example the httpd container would for a web app would have something like nodejs or php and part of the build would copy all your website files over
  • The big advantage is once you get everything working, you can create and destroy the containers at will since there's a script that does it for you
  • For software or website upgrades, you build a new version of the container, and then tell Kubernetes to go use that, and it'll take care of it
  • If your site goes viral, you can scale out by just saying "I want 5 or 10 or 50 containers of each now"

This is better than I can express it:

https://kubernetes.io/docs/tutorials/kubernetes-basics/

Edited by MattPie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Well, it's probably not good.  What I've learned is that most companies aren't even bothered to respond back to people unless they want them for the job.  I file that in the "No way I wanted to work for that company anyway" file.  If they can't respect the people who came to them interested to provide their skills... then screw'em.

9 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Serverless computing is incredible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

idk, I just heard from the job I have gotten farthest along in the process with, and it wasn't good news, so I much prefer the time when I hadn't been hearing back yet lol

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I am back to having no leads and it's pretty miserable lol.

Never go to college

and never major in something that isn't a specific branch of engineering that the place you want to live needs a lot of 

Are you finished with school or are you searching ahead of time?

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Are you finished with school or are you searching ahead of time?

Done with school, have been searching for a little while. The minimal progress I've made in a few directions has quickly been wiped out. Trying to figure out how to sell a physics degree/education when 50 other applicants have the explicit degree and every single skillset asked for, as their education was tailored for that specific job

im pretty bad at this since it's my first real time trying 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Done with school, have been searching for a little while. The minimal progress I've made in a few directions has quickly been wiped out. Trying to figure out how to sell a physics degree/education when 50 other applicants have the explicit degree and every single skillset asked for, as their education was tailored for that specific job

im pretty bad at this since it's my first real time trying 

I wasn't so great either, then I lucked my way into finding a job that worked closely with a couple of my professors from school.  Do you have anyone like that who you can talk to?  I'm completely convinced that the first "foot in the door" job out of college is completely about networking.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm either stupid or I overthink things, but if you order a small double double at Tim Horton's, does that same amount of sugar and cream go into a large double double or do they double the double double amount, making it effectively a quadruple?

They do not adjust for size. (I worked at one for a few months many years ago)

59 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They do not adjust for size. (I worked at one for a few months many years ago)

Interesting. So I would order a large quad-quad. What's quadrupling a quadruple called?

I think I have a coffee problem. I don't like coffee. Two cream and two sugar in such a small cup is basically just a dessert. I should probably try a large double double to see if I like the coffee. (If @New Scotland (NS) weren't doing a bunch of taxes right now, he'd tell us about how great Bosnia coffee and how bad Timmy's is. I miss that rascal.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

So, I thought about starting a new thread about something my wife was watching. She loves watching Say Yes To The Dress: America. Then came the gal representing Pennsylvania. Come to find out, she's a Flyers Ice Girl. https://www.phillyinlove.com/flyers-ice-girl-proposal-at-philadelphia-hockey-game/

I'm sorry...