The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I just saw a bumper sticker that did “I narcanned your honor student”. I don’t know if it’s just me, but that sticker is vile. 

I’m guessing the message is that even “good” kids can end up on opiates?

• Like (+1) 1

It’s an ER doc giving a warning to the trust fund classes.  God, I see enough of it in the ER.  The denial of the parents then seeing them break down down as they realize that their son or daughter is in a real dangerous spot.  Its heart breaking too because non of their money can save their kid at that moment.

Edited by North Buffalo

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

It’s an ER doc giving a warning to the trust fund classes.  God, I see enough of it in the ER.  The denial of the parents then seeing them break down down as they realize that their son or daughter is in a real dangerous spot.  Its heart breaking too because non of their money can save their kid at that moment.

God, most of my high school class. All income levels have been slammed by it, but the wealthy double doc/lawyer parents kids were the first to go down. Had the money to play that game I guess. 

Since neither complaint thursdays or fantastic fridays threads were opened this week, allow me a quick vent, oh random internet friends. 

My dad isn't well. He finally went to Cleveland Clinic for extensive testing. Docs still don't know what's wrong. He's been to so many for a couple of years now. The positive is they ruled out cardio-pulmonary hypertension. But otherwise no clue. He turned 72 last week. I don't think an hour goes by that I don't worry about it, or a day where I don't have a near panic attack collapse. I feel like we're flying towards this horrible mountain range. How long do we have, before the rest of it all crumbles. And then I feel selfish. But I guess I just hoped/assumed I'd be able to get married and maybe even have a kid and enjoy some of those youngish adult life things before all this happened. I have many friends who've lost their parents young, but I'm having trouble coping with the idea of nursing homes and hospitals and funerals for my parents already, and then worrying about my sister. If he goes, I could see my mom going, and when she goes, my sister already has said many times she'd just off herself because she'd have no more reason to live. I would have no more family, save my uncle and estranged cousins I've mentioned in other threads. I'm not ready. I'm just not ready. 

But we don't play the game of life by our own rules. Control is an illusion. 

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, josie said:

God, most of my high school class. All income levels have been slammed by it, but the wealthy double doc/lawyer parents kids were the first to go down. Had the money to play that game I guess. 

Since neither complaint thursdays or fantastic fridays threads were opened this week, allow me a quick vent, oh random internet friends. 

My dad isn't well. He finally went to Cleveland Clinic for extensive testing. Docs still don't know what's wrong. He's been to so many for a couple of years now. The positive is they ruled out cardio-pulmonary hypertension. But otherwise no clue. He turned 72 last week. I don't think an hour goes by that I don't worry about it, or a day where I don't have a near panic attack collapse. I feel like we're flying towards this horrible mountain range. How long do we have, before the rest of it all crumbles. And then I feel selfish. But I guess I just hoped/assumed I'd be able to get married and maybe even have a kid and enjoy some of those youngish adult life things before all this happened. I have many friends who've lost their parents young, but I'm having trouble coping with the idea of nursing homes and hospitals and funerals for my parents already, and then worrying about my sister. If he goes, I could see my mom going, and when she goes, my sister already has said many times she'd just off herself because she'd have no more reason to live. I would have no more family, save my uncle and estranged cousins I've mentioned in other threads. I'm not ready. I'm just not ready. 

Josie - It's disheartening to hear all of this.  I can't even imagine how impacting it is on you. I'm hoping you have a good support structure in your life to help with getting through all of the stuff that you have going on. If you've ever the need to talk to someone, you can PM me.

8 minutes ago, N S said:

24 hours in and I am doing well.

Stay strong!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, N S said:

Drinking a lot of coffee is helping.  Replace the nicotene high with a caffeine high.  I am addicted to coffee as well, but one at a time and I will never give up my Turkish / Bosnian coffee.  Life is too short for such nonsense.

Because I love coffee and I have had variations of "nationality" coffee... please indulge me.  What is the "Turkish/Bosnian" coffee?

I have 24oz of coffee a day in the morning basically.  I have to control myself.  ?

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

Because I love coffee and I have had variations of "nationality" coffee... please indulge me.  What is the "Turkish/Bosnian" coffee?

I have 24oz of coffee a day in the morning basically.  I have to control myself.  ?

My poor deprived child ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee

I use the traditional Bosnian method of preparation, but do use the traditional Turkish method of prep, as well.  Only thing with either method ... I do not take sugar.  It ruins the taste and makes it too sweet, which it is not supposed to be, IMO.

Also ...

I just had an early lunch of champions ... apple pie.  Our good friend and neighbour (more like a mother to us) has a time honoured tradition of baking me an apple pie on occasions to remember ... birthday, Eid, Christmas etc.  She does the same thing for my wife with her favourite yummy treat ... date squares.

Life is pretty damn good ... most of the time.

Edited by N S
fat fingers ...
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

It read to me as a “haha your kids a drug addict”. I’m glad I threw it out here, because I was really hoping there was a different angle to it. Any time I see a twist on the “honor student” bumper sticker, I immediately assume it’s mockery because, let’s face it, it usually is. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, N S said:

My poor deprived child ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee

I use the traditional Bosnian method of preparation, but do use the traditional Turkish method of prep, as well.  Only thing with either method ... I do not take sugar.  It ruins the taste and makes it too sweet, which it is not supposed to be, IMO.

I didn't want to rely upon Wikipedia... but if you think it's the right information I can go with it.  Thanks.

So, how do you get it so finely ground?  Is a normal grinder, set on it's finest setting, good enough to make that happen?

Also, I found this tidbit in the article entertaining: "First appearing in the Ottoman Empire, under the strictest interpretations of the Quran the strong coffee was considered a drug and its consumption was forbidden. Due to the immense popularity of the beverage, the sultan eventually lifted this prohibition." 

Coffee over religion!  ?

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

I didn't want to rely upon Wikipedia... but if you think it's the right information I can go with it.  Thanks.

So, how do you get it so finely ground?  Is a normal grinder, set on it's finest setting, good enough to make that happen?

Also, I found this tidbit in the article entertaining: "First appearing in the Ottoman Empire, under the strictest interpretations of the Quran the strong coffee was considered a drug and its consumption was forbidden. Due to the immense popularity of the beverage, the sultan eventually lifted this prohibition." 

Coffee over religion!  ?

I hear you about wiki.  It is not always your friend, but I skimmed it and the parts about how to make the coffee with the slight variations between Turkish and Bosnian methods is accurate.  The part about the Sultan caving to the pressure is accurate, but the forbidding of the drinking initially may not be entirely accurate.  It seems that there was pressure from some hardliners, but the Ottoman Turks were not very strict in many ways.  There would be no way to enforce such a prohibition anyway.

An electric grinder is probably not going to cut it.  I have bought coffee beans and used the instore grinder on the Turkish setting and that works fine.  There is a knack to making coffee this way and now that I have years of practice I can make it Turkish style and it works for even the coursest grind of Maxwell House.

What you need is a hand grinder and just keep grinding it.  We have friends in Bosnia that hold to the time honoured tradition of buying raw coffee beans at the market and then roasting them on an open wood buring fire (the wood in Bosnia gives it a speccial aroma) and then grinding it in traditional hand grinders.

Edited by N S

16 hours ago, josie said:

I hope the Dr's identify his problem soon.  Stay strong.

Very saddened that you have this addition worry on your shoulders.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, N S said:

I hear you about wiki.  It is not always your friend, but I skimmed it and the parts about how to make the coffee with the slight variations between Turkish and Bosnian methods is accurate.  The part about the Sultan caving to the pressure is accurate, but the forbidding of the drinking initially may not be entirely accurate.  It seems that there was pressure from some hardliners, but the Ottoman Turks were not very strict in many ways.  There would be no way to enforce such a prohibition anyway.

An electric grinder is probably not going to cut it.  I have bought coffee beans and used the instore grinder on the Turkish setting and that works fine.  There is a knack to making coffee this way and now that I have years of practice I can make it Turkish style and it works for even the coursest grind of Maxwell House.

What you need is a hand grinder and just keep grinding it.  We have friends in Bosnia that hold to the time honoured tradition of buying raw coffee beans at the market and then roasting them on an open wood buring fire (the wood in Bosnia gives it a speccial aroma) and then grinding it in traditional hand grinders.

It's that story, right there, that makes me want to travel the world and experience life. It's what I think the world should be about.  Thanks!  I may have to try making this at some point.

22 hours ago, N S said:

We can have both ... LOL!!

Time to pray, but first my coffee.  Oh, wait.  My focus may be clouded.

Hah!

Day Three of no air conditioning.  Average temperature in the house during that time has been about 85.  The temperature is almost livable at night using fans to bring the cool night air in, but then the sun bakes us all over again in the daytime.  We have a home warranty; we called them Friday, a tech came out Saturday and diagnosed a failed compressor, and said the warranty company would let us know Monday what our co-pay would be.  I'm guessing by the time paperwork is settled out it will be Tuesday or Wednesday before we get the AC back on.