GDT: Raleigh @ Buffalo 7:00 pm EST, 12/22/2016

JJFIVEOH

From AM Skate, Eichel was watching the peeper practice from in front of the bench. Moulson was in Eichel's Spot and Foligno took Moulson's Spot.

Bylsma said he wanted him to watch the PP in practice.

If this happens in the game...

IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WHAT THE ACTUAL ###### ARE YOU DOING DISCO DAN?

I...I don't get it. 

There is no way Eichel moves from the first peeper unit. No way.

Our power play is really weird. They almost always look like crap, and then squeak out a goal after no zone-time, and have a tremendous percentage. 

Good point. My fear is that once puck luck wears off on the peeper, the team will struggle even more. (Although maybe by then their PK will be better?)

Not really sure what's been going on with this place over the last couple of days, but there is business that needs to be attended to. After all, this is a Sabres forum and somebody needs to break the ice!!

Although some people have started more GDTs than others, it is really the job of every Sabres fan to start a GDT if it's after midnight and they know there's a game that day.

That is all.

From AM Skate, Eichel was watching the peeper practice from in front of the bench. Moulson was in Eichel's Spot and Foligno took Moulson's Spot.

Bylsma said he wanted him to watch the PP in practice.

If this happens in the game...

IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WHAT THE ACTUAL ###### ARE YOU DOING DISCO DAN?

Wonder what he was trying to teach him? I thought Jack was one of our better PP assets due to his ability to possess the puck and gain the zone under control. As much as I like Moulson, I don't know what he could learn from watching.

No chance that actually happens in a game. 

Our power play is really weird. They almost always look like crap, and then squeak out a goal after no zone-time, and have a tremendous percentage. 

Can't complain about results, even if it doesn't look pretty.

High risk/high reward play?

Sure, but, are those the guys we want teaching him the PP?

Yes, because they know how to follow a system.

The plays of note I remember from Jack, on the power play, that weren't good, were a couple of blind backhand passes to the slot where nobody was that were cleared down the ice. Otherwise I remember him moving the puck well. I'd like to see him use that one-timer a bit more often. 

High risk/high reward play?

I honestly think they just struggle when pressured, and maybe don't move the puck fast enough often enough.

How about a regulation win tonight, boys?

It was Jack's man that was left wide open in the slot for the tying goal. I'm sure he got a healthy dose of coaching on that.

Its a learning season, and as some have said, I'm sure he will play to redeem himself tonight.

Carolina, hide your babies , Jack's coming to town hungry!

Put out your torch and lay down you pitchfork, for there will be no pillaging and such, alas we are in Buffalo tonight.

Put out your torch and lay down you pitchfork, for there will be no pillaging and such, alas we are in Buffalo tonight.

SOB!

I thought it was second of two home games for the Big Wind team. The first game scrubbed due to bad ice in the Circular Wind City.

Thank you for kindly pointing that out. Probably for the best any ways. It's spitting rain and snow on and off in these parts all day and I've had a tough time keeping the torch lit. 

The plays of note I remember from Jack, on the power play, that weren't good, were a couple of blind backhand passes to the slot where nobody was that were cleared down the ice. Otherwise I remember him moving the puck well. I'd like to see him use that one-timer a bit more often.

I honestly think they just struggle when pressured, and maybe don't move the puck fast enough often enough.

How about a regulation win tonight, boys?

I really think his one timer needs to be a staple of the PP, yet it often seems as more of a last resort than anything.

Edit: DAMN PHONE!!!

You're welcome, NS.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I was looking at some fancy stats on Puckalytics.com. I don’t claim to be an expert in this area but it does interest me. Here’s some that jumped out at me today:

Top 7 defensemen in terms of 5-on-5 ice-time

Sorted by Goals For %, with on ice PDO listed as well.

(GF% being what % of goals scored 5-on-5 were they on the ice for that Buffalo scored, and PDO being a measure of shooting % for and against with 100 being the long term average – so it’s a measure of ‘puck luck’ with numbers higher than 100 being lucky and below 100 being unlucky, implies a regression to the mean is coming at some point).

I am not looking at any ‘quality of competition’ info here which obviously is important.

GF%       PDO

Franson               58.6        102.1

McCabe               53.9        101.7

Falk                      50.0        99.0

Risto                     48.6        100.4

Gorges                 43.5        99.3

Bogo                    30.0        95.5

Kuli                       28.6        96.5

Some references: Buffalo’s team average for GF% 5-on-5 is 48.3%.  This is 19th in the league with Montreal in 1st at 62.0% and Colorado last at 37%.

In 2015-16 Buffalo finished at 44.8%, and in 2014-2015 at 38.5%.

Interpretations:

-Franson and McCabe have been playing well but benefiting from PDO’s that will probably bring them down a bit in the future, especially Franson. McCabe is doing it with many more minutes and tougher competition (I expect).

-Falk doesn’t appear to be hurting the team, which is what my eyeballs are saying too.

-Risto is slightly above the team average which is actually a strong number since he plays such a huge number of minutes against the top competition.

-Gorges is a bit sub-par, but we already knew that. Great on the 3rd pairing, not so much on 2nd pairing.

-Bogosian and Kulikov – one the one hand, my God it’s bad. They appear to be getting absolutely caved in without generating any offense to speak of. I think that’s somewhat true. On the other hand, their sample sizes aren’t as large as others (due to missing so many games to injury) and their PDO’s are really low and should be expected to regress higher over time, raising the GF% numbers. But still, not pretty.

(If these sort of posts are inappropriate for GDT’s someone please just let me know and I’ll look for other places to do so if I get the inclination)

These are exactly the kind of posts that we need more of as a board. Back to being the smartest guys in the room when it comes to talking hockey (or at least the most opinionated!)

Well done. :thumbsup:

With respect to the content of your post, Bogo+Kuli have looked like an unmitigated train wreck lately, but it is encouraging that their PDO supports some improvement. Then again, even an improvement in PDO from ~96% to 100% wouldn't bring their 28/30 up to anything we would consider objectively good - right? It would just be less bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.