The Eichel Scrapbook!

Randall Flagg

Black Sunday seemed to nearly destroy this franchise. The Sabres not only lost their co-captains and identity, but they lost high-end players at a position that is most-coveted by fans and GMs alike. They lost the shelter that allowed Derek Roy and Tim Connolly to make grinders look silly. Every playoff series (ie, 2) and far too many regular season games they played from that point until 2015 were played with subpar center depth relative to their opponents. Even with great post-Pegula playoff push stories, and a division winner built up from a Vezina-winning goalie, fans either let on that they knew the center position wasn't good enough or they pretended that they didn't know it. 

The core eventually failed, free agent signings went bad, and everything was blown up. We endured two seasons of the most unbearable hockey one can imagine. Historically bad offenses combined with pathetic, AHL-caliber defense units. The tank seasons were too much for plenty of well-respected, deeply passionate Sabres fans here on Sabrespace, much less casual fans who had better things to do than watch garbage on ice. Whether one agreed with the decision or not, we came out of the seasons of torture with our piece. The guy we didn't have when we were merely "decent." The guy that we didn't have to counter the Crosbys, Malkins, Getzlafs, Thorntons of the league before. The missing piece that would propel us to contender status. 

Jack Eichel

Center, shoots right.

6-2, 196 pounds.

Born October 28th, 1996.

Drafted second-overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

t_GettyImages-478664296.jpg

2015-16 Season: 81 GP, 24 G, 32 A, 56 PTS

2016-17 Season: 1 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS 

The fanbase still has a lot of healing to do. The team still has a long way to go. But we can tell this kid is special. The city of Buffalo fell in love that draft day, and watching Jack grow and be himself only makes that bond stronger.

From what I read here and on other social media platforms, other people share the experiences I have with regards to watching Jack play. Three times last season, he made me jump in the air watching hockey, and made a tear come to my eye. That hadn't happened since before Black Sunday. No part of the Buffalo Sabres organization felt special after that. Not until Jack came along. His first goal snipe, his dancing around the zone at will before ripping a shot over Bobrovsky's shoulder a few days later, and burying the Hurricanes in overtime in March. I get severe goosebumps when I watch those moments again. The most jaded and cynical Sabrespace members, posting in utter disbelief and joy. Listening to the buzz in the air of First Niagara Center, I hear what my parents and grandparents talk about when reminiscing about Gilbert Perreault and the excitement you could taste in the air when he set up to fly down the ice. We finally have this again in Buffalo, NY. When this team is playing meaningful hockey late in the season again, it'll be like it was in the memories I desperately cling to but lose original details of each passing day.

And he's so down to earth, and so charismatic. He's hysterical. The fear of alligators and snakes, the love of ice cream, his insistence on keeping secret his number, college decision, and return date, all with that goofy grin. 

I have full confidence that we'll be watching Jack Eichel's #15 go up in the rafters, eyes stinging with tears of happiness as we recall his playoff heroics that brought this city its first championship.

This has the potential to be an epic thread, that discusses and debates and highlights his ups and downs, his development, and the impact he has on this region and the wonderful fans of the Sabres. I hope it can reach this potential. 

My favorite Eichel clips:
All 24 of his rookie season goals:

Random highlights (don't watch if you don't like rap music - I don't but I love the mix of assists they put in):

Carolina OT: 

Columbus: 

Funny Jack: 

First goal: 

And the newest addition, last night's highlights in his first game back: 

I hope people enjoy and use this thread. I know there were plenty of times during the summer a new picture or tweet from him or something came up and was discussed, or a new debate about his effort or stick length started up. That stuff can come here, as well as any "wow, Jack was special tonight." like we saw last night.

I hope this was alright. LET'S GO BUFFALO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Separate from this post, I'm glad to hear he took the optional practice off. No need to go nuts yet, get back into game shape slowly and naturally. Rangers are going to be a tough test for him. He's done well against them so far in his career, off the top of my head I can think of 4 assists spread through 3 games.

Edited by spndnchz

:) Thanks!

So the consensus is, keep track of small neat little things in here but if anyone wants to talk about Jack's stick length/skating mechanics/whatever else, go right ahead and make a thread for that purpose?

That's a good way of putting it. The stuff you don't want to forget goes in here. Like, a scrapbook. Molly's first report card, not her first police report.

:thumbsup:

Your finest moderating hour. I'm serious. Beautiful.

:( I spent a lot of valuable homework time on that long post lol

I'm sorry if you had a good post that was collateral damage, RF.  Mean it.  But it was clear that the "old" (as in a day old) thread wasn't wanted.

Let's not turn this one into another thread about debating the propriety of threads.  

Again, I am sorry if you lost some content.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.