Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

The proof of that is their record since the return of Eich.  I firmly believe that if Eichel had not missed the first part of the season then the Sabres would be in a playoff position, or very close to it.

But they acquired 19 points in 21 games while Jack was out, and have only acquired 49 points in 48 games since then. Applying the pace since Jack came back to the games he missed would give us a whopping 2 more points on the season, and 70 points in 69 games, for a 2 point improvement on last year's pace and still a dozen shy of being on the playoff cusp. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

According to people very close to the team I am not, and it started early on last year...Paul Hamilton, Sabres beat reporter, said pretty much its one of two things...either they don't want to play his system or Bylsma is asking them to do things they cannot do or cannot figure out how to do.  

People in Pittsburgh said it's pretty much the exact same thing that happened there---the star players didn't like his system or coaching style or whatever...you CANNOT succeed as a coach when you alienate your best players, doesn't matter who is right.  Talent still wins games at the end of the day.

Either way, this appears headed for a messy divorce this offseason.  

Did he borrow this from what was said about Wrecks Ryan? Sounds familiar to me.

This is dangerously close to the idiocy that was "Who's better than Lindy?" It's more than who objectively is better than Dan, but who is subjectively better for this job? So there are probably tons of guys out there. Hell, Nolan would have this team in the playoffs. *ducks

The concern about wanting to work for the Pegulas is a fair one. But there's the old saying about only 30 such jobs existing in the world, and only a handful of those being open at any given time.

The thing about 30 jobs is certainly true. However, no one gets this team to the playoffs with the D we have.

I believe the players want to be the best they can be in any system.  If you look at the results they are not always there, but it seems that they are trying.  The proof of that is their record since the return of Eich.  I firmly believe that if Eichel had not missed the first part of the season then the Sabres would be in a playoff position, or very close to it.

They had Eichel during their recent stretch coming out of the bye week and earned 6 out of 18 available points.  At this point in the season they should be clicking on all cylinders.  Even with the loss of Okposo there's been enough talent on the team to hold the lead in several of those games that they eventually lost.  That's a System problem.  That's on the coach.

Had they gone .666 instead of .333 over that stretch (very do-able considering their opponents), they'd be at least in the playoff race.  Then you could say awe shucks if only Jack hadn't been injured.  But they haven't been taking care of business when the opportunities arise now, late in the season, when the System should be mature and the team should be clicking on all cylinders.

And it isn't just that stretch.  They've blown games all season long when they should have, could have, won them.  When the blew a 2-0 first period lead against Boston on Dec. 29th, I knew they didn't have it, not this year.  What ever "it" is, they didn't have it.  I think what keeps them from having "it" is DD's system.  The system's gotta go, so DD has to go.

No coach will,ever sign with Montreal again after Bergevin went behind Therriens back and offered Julien a job while Therrien was employed.

Julien kept Boston in the race for years as management frittered away a cup-winning roster. He still got fired. No coach worth anything would ever sign there.

How can Florida ever attract a qualified coach after leaving Gallant standing at the curb in front of the media.

Detroit offers Babcock everything to stay and he didn't. He knows something. It will be impossible for Detroit to get anybody now.

After the way Regier treated Nolan, no sane coach would want to come to Buffalo.

I look forward to the day you're proven wrong.

No coach will,ever sign with Montreal again after Bergevin went behind Therriens back and offered Julien a job while Therrien was employed.

Julien kept Boston in the race for years as management frittered away a cup-winning roster. He still got fired. No coach worth anything would ever sign there.

How can Florida ever attract a qualified coach after leaving Gallant standing at the curb in front of the media.

Detroit offers Babcock everything to stay and he didn't. He knows something. It will be impossible for Detroit to get anybody now.

After the way Regier treated Nolan, no sane coach would want to come to Buffalo.

Good stuff.

I think people forget that there are only 31 of these jobs...

I look forward to the day you're proven wrong.

I think he was being sardonic.

But they acquired 19 of 21 points while Jack was out, and have only acquired 49 points in 48 games since then. Applying the pace since Jack came back to the games he missed would give us a whopping 2 more points on the season, and 70 points in 69 games, for a 2 point improvement on last year's pace and still a dozen shy of being on the playoff cusp. 

OK, well then how about up until this latest stinky streak?

;)

Double word score for ... cusp.

Well if you can chop out a bad stretch, then I say we should take out the best 10 game stretch during that time instead, and see how much worse we are with Jack! :P

When did we get 19 of 21 points? Did you mean we got 19 points in 21 games? Cuz those are two very different things.

Regier? I'm having a hard time getting from the guy that kinda shafted Nolan (twice!) who doesn't work for the Sabres any more to the point where a prospective coach is thinking, "well, I can either go with Buffalo or cool my heels/go back to juniors/AHL/college coaching." and coming out with, "nah, I'll get a shot at the NHL somewhere else eventually".

Edited by MattPie

Regier? I'm having a hard time getting from the guy that kinda shafted Nolan (twice!) who doesn't work for the Sabres any more to the point where a prospective coach is thinking, "well, I can either go with Buffalo or cool my heels/go back to juniors/AHL/college coaching." and coming out with, "nah, I'll get a shot at the NHL somewhere else eventually".

Me too. And I think that same guy coming to the same conclusion just because we fired Dan Bylsma after a disappointing season is about as likely.

Anyone think the fact that Reinhart and Eichel's ELC's end after next year will have something to do with the Byslma decision?

I think that's the most critical reason to replace Bylsma no later than the end of this season.  It will be Drury and Briere all over again (although at least this time we'll get some picks out of it).

I think that's the most critical reason to replace Bylsma no later than the end of this season.  It will be Drury and Briere all over again (although at least this time we'll get some picks out of it).

I wonder if you just do it now in this offseason to avoid having a contentious contract negotiation next offseason

Jack and Sam's next contracts will not be affected by DD's place behind the bench. Even if DD was great, the chance is small that he'd be there by the time those contracts ended anyway, since NHL coaches, great and terrible, get canned very regularly. 

Don't their ELC's end next year?