Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

This is professional hockey at the highest level.    Coaches are not looked at as friends... as a player if you want a friend, look to the guy in the stall next to you.    The coach is the drill sergeant, the guy you need to respect and follow his instruction.    You think Darryl Sutter gave his players emotional support, you think his players think he cared about their personal well being?  You need a guy who commands respect from his players and they'll play hard for you.  

That said, everything you said is true for youth hockey, juniors, etc.. but not at the professional level.

Bullcrap.  People are people.  You want to see the difference between why some companies succeed and why other fail?  Look no further than people skills

If GMTM and TPegs decide to let DD go, who are the legitiment replacement options remaining? Gallant and Hitch are off the table. Lindy and Sutter are available. I don't think we want Sutter. I've seen the BU coach mentioned. Who else?

If GMTM and TPegs decide to let DD go, who are the legitiment replacement options remaining? Gallant and Hitch are off the table. Lindy and Sutter are available. I don't think we want Sutter. I've seen the BU coach mentioned. Who else?

Phil Housley.

Historically inept offense with good offensive players.

A putrid system in which it appears Bylsma's game plan is to win every game 1-0.

Inability to figure out how to get his players to stop taking Too Many Men on the Ice penalties.

This team is a dumpster fire.

Bylsma's complete lack of any creativity and stifling of the offense has turned a middle of the road talented team without Eichel into a team that can't score goals and is languishing near the bottom of the league.

He needs to go...how much longer can we put up with this ineptitude??

This, in the end, is what condemns him as a coach.  When he was first hired, he reportedly said he spent his year off studying the game and had some new ideas he wanted to bring to the Sabres.  Why now know that he's never had a new idea in his life.  At the very least he could emulate other successful current systems, then perhaps build from there (to draw a comparison that's how Hyundai built themselves into a major auto maker- they weren't terribly creative but emulated Honda before discovering their own mojo).  If DD can't even produce a product on the ice that compares well to current systems, he needs to go.

Edited by Doohickie

Housley is their defensive coach I think (?)

Just checked, you are correct, asst coach in Nashville.

Intriguing, although he may be hesitant with our current D corps, other than Risto and McCabe not much to work with.

Housley was mentioned by Pachla on HockeyBuzz. He also mentions a couple others -- it's a good read. Personally, I'd love to see Housley or a young coach instead of Sutter.  

Is that a problem?

No, not unless it's considered by the whoever is doing the hiring. It should be totally irrelevant. Millions of good people in hockey, and it seems like half the names we fans come up with are former Sabres.

No, not unless it's considered by the whoever is doing the hiring. It should be totally irrelevant. Millions of good people in hockey, and it seems like half the names we fans come up with are former Sabres.

It's not our fault these guys are out there in positions that typically lead to head coaching jobs if they're good enough. 

giphy.gif

Give it time.

I believe if Murray's and Pegula's Plan was to keep him, that would have been mentioned at the press conference.

Murray has a target in mind who probably is still coaching in the playoffs and doesn't want to make a move until then.

Give it time.

I believe if Murray's and Pegula's Plan was to keep him, that would have been mentioned at the press conference.

Murray has a target in mind who probably is still coaching in the playoffs and doesn't want to make a move until then.

That sounds like we either get the exact guy Murray wants, or we keep Byslma

It's gotta be the Preds, right? 

Give it time.

And the meeting isn't until next week in Florida. Everyone can take the weekend off.

Yup. But by the middle of next week, I expect the hammer to drop.

I know you're of the general mind that a GM can (or should) get more than one coach hire, but are you concerned at all about Murray getting another hire, when Murray is on the hot seat too? If next season is in the shitter, is it harder to pull the plug on Murray if his new hire is 25 games into his coaching career?

There could be a lot of intrigue here in the background. Terry says hang on, we'll talk next week. Murray says both he and Byslma are in their positions "today." Tim even said "if I'm back." Maybe there's a president or new GM in the offing, maybe even Lindy. I wouldn't blame the Pegs at all for wanting to rip the Band-Aid off quickly on Murray instead of lingering into next season or the one after that and being in an even bigger jackpot.

It would be ZFG, but maybe Murray gets us this far, and the guy who's going to put us over the top arrives now.