Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

It did, you just don't recognize it because you have such strong priors to the contrary. Know how I know that? The second half of what I highlighted. To say that Eichel is "on track to be a decent player" is to ignore that he already is, at minimum, very good. He's 35th in the entire league in points per game. Ahead of guys like Voracek, Gaudreau, Hall, Kuznetsov, Getzlaf.

I think this summaries my point. You're ok with him being included in that group. I'm not. I want(ed) Malkin, Crosby, Ovie, McDavid, Eichel, Kane, Toews etc. to be the tier that he is in. If Eichel isn't above the bolded lot then the tank has truly gone to

Bruh. ...

Bruh. ...

BRUH.

Yeah worded it badly. Decent with regards to the upper talent in the NHL.

Basically I wanted an exceptional player and I haven't seen that from him yet - at least not more than brief moments

I think this summaries my point. You're ok with him being included in that group. I'm not. I want(ed) Malkin, Crosby, Ovie, McDavid, Eichel, Kane, Toews etc. to be the tier that he is in. If Eichel isn't above the bolded lot then the tank has truly gone to ######

Basically I wanted an exceptional player and I haven't seen that from him yet - at least not more than brief moments

But he hasn't reached anywhere near his ceiling yet. If he's already AHEAD of those guys in bold, that would suggest he's trending towards the higher tier. I also wouldn't rank Crosby and McDavid with the others. They are a level above. The truly generational.

I see no reason Eichel wont't fit in with the Ovechkins, Kanes and Toews of the league. (He won't match Ovi's goal scoring obviously, but he's much more of a passer than Ovi is.)

Edited by Thorny

I wasn't going to go there, but...yea. He dictates the entire game with the puck on his stick. He can single handedly change a game with one shift, and help get a win when we don't deserve it. We have a coach who wouldn't recognize even strength scoring existed if it stuck a finger in his pooper. We have a blue line that is offensive in the wrong sense of the word. Oh, and he suffered an injury which is hell to come back from in any reasonable length of time. And he's still one of the most productive players in the league.

While I'm all hot and bothered, he was not the only product of the tank. Risto, Reinhart, the assets to acquire Kane and O'Reilly. None of that happens without tanking. The "we wasted two years and only got Eichel" is utter hogwash.

If you are going to post about me, at least quote me.  :P

I think this summaries my point. You're ok with him being included in that group. I'm not. I want(ed) Malkin, Crosby, Ovie, McDavid, Eichel, Kane, Toews etc. to be the tier that he is in. If Eichel isn't above the bolded lot then the tank has truly gone to ######

When he was Eichel's age, Voracek hit 50 points in his second full season. In an era with a lot more scoring.

But he hasn't reached anywhere near his ceiling yet. If he's already AHEAD of those guys in bold, that would suggest he's trending towards the higher tier. I also wouldn't rank Crosby and McDavid with the others. They are a level above. The truly generational.

I see no reason Eichel wont't fit in with the Ovechkins, Kanes and Toews of the league. (He won't match Ovi's goal scoring obviously, but he's much more of a passer than Ovi is.)

Yup. This. Hell, Kane only had 70 points his second season at a time when scoring was much higher.

All that separates Kane and Toews and Malkin from Bure and Sundin and Perreault is one big silver chalice.

Jack is that level of talent. He'll need the right teammates.

And to echo what others have said, without the tank, our best players right now aren't Risto, ROR, Kane, Eichel, Reinhart and Okposo. They are Risto, Pominville, Myers, Dylan Strome, Willie Nylander and Andrew Ladd

Edited by dudacek

Ahhh, gotcha. Okay.

I think that's not a totally unfair take.

I think Eichel is locked in with a floor of being a top-10 1C throughout the prime of his career, and maybe with some extra time of the front and back ends.

I think his ceiling is top 10 player in the world. He very well might get there.

Ahhh, gotcha. Okay.

I think that's not a totally unfair take.

I think Eichel is locked in with a floor of being a top-10 1C throughout the prime of his career, and maybe with some extra time of the front and back ends.

I think his ceiling is top 10 player in the world. He very well might get there.

That depends on the talent around him as well. Kane has some speed, but his passing is subpar for Eichel to maximize his success chance, at least so far.

Now a nice fast, 2o to 24 yr old LW or left shot with hands could really bring jacks numbers up a notch or 3.

Say, someone like......oh, I don't know.......Dylan Larkin!

:P

Bob McKenzie just said on insider trading that shattenkirk has blocked a 42 mil signing extension and trade. 3rd time he's blocked a trade. St. Louis has to be gettING pissed.

Edited by Lucky E

Yea. Essentially I don't think he has as natural of sense/vision as Matthews, thus requiring more experience to fully excel the way his skills are capable of in the NHL. Has to see it before he gets it, if that makes any sense at all.

I see him making fewer unforced errors this year than last. If he hadn't gotten hurt, I think he'd have at least flirted with 80 points. I expect next year he'll be even better.

I don't think Jack's hockey sense is bad.  I think his common sense is bad.  I believe he sees everything out there but he believes he's able to do more than he really can.  He isn't recognizing that what worked in the past doesn't work the same now.  

He is making fewer unforced errors, so he's learning.  This is, I believe, a byproduct of a single college year and not playing in juniors or a higher tier Swiss league like Matthews.  Jack played against medium talent overall in college whereas Matthews and McDavid were playing against med-high talent in the other leagues.  They had to adjust sooner than Eichel.

The NCAA is not equal in competition yet.

This is, I believe, a byproduct of a single college year and not playing in juniors or a higher tier Swiss league like Matthews.  Jack played against medium talent overall in college whereas Matthews and McDavid were playing against med-high talent in the other leagues.  They had to adjust sooner than Eichel.

The NCAA is not equal in competition yet.

I think the points-translation-ratios bear out that the NCAA presents stiffer competition than major juniors.

In any case, I don't think it's necessary to explain McDavid on that basis. He's just in another dimension than Eichel.

The Matthews situation seems apt for that take, though. He played a year in a pro league before coming to the NHL. Eichel did not.

And what did the Preds give up to get him?

I'm sure you know the answer, but I'll say it for effect. Martin freaking Erat. 

I bet Vegas fans (if that's a thing) are thrilled the guy that made that trade is orchestrating the construction of their roster...

BREAKING: #stlblues announce five-year contract extension for Berglund with a $3.85 AAV.

FIVE years for Berglund? Enjoy that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.