Have Grant and Fasching made Girgensons and Foligno expendable?

GASabresIUFAN

I asked in the lineup thread if we are going to carry 14 forwards. With the injuries and other issues on D, I think it is unlikely we carry 14 forwards. If I'm right and Fasching and Grant make the team someone else has to go. So who? and how?

First, Moulson isn't tradeable and I doubt GMTM wants to bury $5 mill in Roch. So that leaves Girgensons, Foligno, and Larsson as possible trade bait to help upgrade and create depth on defense.

Why these 3? Without Foligno we are still set at LW with Kane, Ennis, Moulson and Delauriers. RW is also set with Reinhart, Okposo Gionta and Fasching. The top 2 centers are ROR, and Eichel. Then it's a 3 way battle for the 3rd and 4th center between Grant Larsson and Girgensons.

Also even if we move a forward or 2, we still have the plenty of AHL depth to fill in for injuries in COR, Schneider, Carrier, Nylander, Bailey and Baptiste.

With Foligno on a 1 yr bridge deal, but for decent money, trading him might free up enough cap space to add a Cam Fowler now and re-sign Ristolainen.

Regardless, I think someone is going to lose this game of forward musical chairs and with a week left until the season starts I have a feeling GMTM is going to make deal to help the D and he is going to use our forward depth to get it done.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Good question.

Quick note, sending Moulson to Rochester wouldn't bury 5mil. I think it only would bury 900k or something.

I would consider trading Zemgus but only for defensive help. That's the type of guy you want around just because injuries happen.

I joked about Fasching making Foligno expendable in the GDT, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

It won't be for nothing though. NHL GMs love Foligno-type players. He will fetch more on the open market than most here think.

I'll bite: Foligno, Girgensons for Fowler, with some sort of cap dump involved. ????

Edited by dudacek

It won't be for nothing though. NHL GMs love Foligno-type players. He will fetch more on the open market than most here think.

That Hall-Larsson trade made me think that forwards in general don't fetch much value on the market - or, not as much as we'd like to think they should

I joked about Fasching making Foligno expendable in the GDT, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

I'll bite: Foligno, Girgensons for Fowler, with some sort of cap dump involved.

I would think is a defenseman is traded for a forward or forwards, the forwards would have to be very high end players. D-Man are such a valuable commodity 

Right now we have no D depth. Only McCabe, Franson and Gorges are playing. Bogo has a groin issue again and Kulikov is out for an unknown period with a butt bruise. Risto has no contract. Do you really want to enter the season with Gorges Franson McCabe and Nelson as your top 4 D?

Tank 3!!!! 

Sounds logical, but I still think Grant and Fasching, as well as they've played, have a one-way ticket to Rochester.    These are just pre-season games against AHL players, don't read too much into their performance.   

That said, my source tells me Risto will likely sign a bridge deal over the weekend or early next week, which is expected...  Bogo will be ready to play the opener, as will Kulikov.

Sounds logical, but I still think Grant and Fasching, as well as they've played, have a one-way ticket to Rochester.    These are just pre-season games against AHL players, don't read too much into their performance.   

That said, my source tells me Risto will likely sign a bridge deal over the weekend or early next week, which is expected...  Bogo will be ready to play the opener, as will Kulikov.

Do you actually have sources?

Right now we have no D depth. Only McCabe, Franson and Gorges are playing. Bogo has a groin issue again and Kulikov is out for an unknown period with a butt bruise. Risto has no contract. Do you really want to enter the season with Gorges Franson McCabe and Nelson as your top 4 D?

Not really,  I think a Fowler deal though would be tricky.

Fowler and Nate Thompson for Foligno, Zemgus, 2nd round pick, Baptiste.  Maybe that is in the ballpark. It would help Anaheim clear about 2.2million from their cap.  Idk, I am not sure we have the assets for this. 

Do you actually have sources?

just let me consult his source... hold on one second... 

giphy.gif

Grant and Fasching and all these other wunderkinds will start the season in Rochester.  Bear in mind, though, that injuries happen, trades happen, happens.  They will get some time at the NHL level this year, but really, there isn't much room at the present time.

That Hall-Larsson trade made me think that forwards in general don't fetch much value on the market - or, not as much as we'd like to think they should

My theory on the Hall-Larsson trade is that it was not about forward-defenseman valuation, but about Hall had to go. I think the locker room wasn't big enough for Hall and McDavid, and the Oil chose McDavid. Everyone in hockey knew Hall had to be traded, so they offered pennies on the dollar. Edmonton took Larsson, because he's better than the 29 other offers, not because his value is close to Hall's value.

Evidence? you ask. The Oil played very poorly when McDavid played last season. My inkling is that Hall didn't score when McDavid played, but I haven't sat down to run the numbers. So in the end, it's just a theory.

My theory on the Hall-Larsson trade is that it was not about forward-defenseman valuation, but about Hall had to go. I think the locker room wasn't big enough for Hall and McDavid, and the Oil chose McDavid. Everyone in hockey knew Hall had to be traded, so they offered pennies on the dollar. Edmonton took Larsson, because he's better than the 29 other offers, not because his value is close to Hall's value.

Evidence? you ask. The Oil played very poorly when McDavid played last season. My inkling is that Hall didn't score when McDavid played, but I haven't sat down to run the numbers. So in the end, it's just a theory.

It's an interesting theory.

I've meant to ask: Did you have to work to retain the old default avatar? Or did it just stick around?

Why has there been so little mention of Bailey along with Fashing and Grant ? I think his overall game has shown very well thus far and he has put up points in each game he's played in, culminating with a nice short handed goal last night. 

Fair question. I don't think Bailey has shown what those players have during camp. Different skill sets, of course. Bailey still has work to do to have his game translate to the NHL. You may have heard that he was assigned to Roch today.

2.25, which is too high.

holy smokes - yes.

Am I the only one who thinks GMTM and El Pegaul have absolutely ZERO compunction about playing Moulson in Rachacha if a hard decision needs to be made? If Fasching and Grant earn it in their eyes I can see them keeping either in favor of MattyMo. 

Not really,  I think a Fowler deal though would be tricky.

Fowler and Nate Thompson for Foligno, Zemgus, 2nd round pick, Baptiste.  Maybe that is in the ballpark. It would help Anaheim clear about 2.2million from their cap.  Idk, I am not sure we have the assets for this. 

just let me consult his source... hold on one second... 

Thompson is their version of Cody McCormick. However, I think you are close. Ana has 8 forwards 30+ on their roster. They need to get younger upfront, and they need to create cap space, a roster spot for Shea Theodore and re-sign Lindholm ($6 mil) and Rakell ($3 mill) with only about $7.5 to do it before Thompson on LTIR. Therefore they need to move Fowler (their only tradeable asset on D) and a 4th line forward like Ryan Garbutt. If Ana was going to get top $ for Fowler the deal would have happened. I think Foligno, a 2nd and a middle prospect (Cornel?) for Fowler and Garbutt might do it.

The other good thing about this deal is that it reduces Risto's leverage. We can get by with Fowler, McCabe, Bogo, Kulikov, as the top 4.

2.25, which is too high.

That's why he didn't get a raise over last year,

Why has there been so little mention of Bailey along with Fashing and Grant ? I think his overall game has shown very well thus far and he has put up points in each game he's played in, culminating with a nice short handed goal last night.

. Fasching and Grant have both outplayed Bailey and Bailey was already sent to Roch. He was recalled only for last night's game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.