OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

So I just read that Jimmy Fiegen agreed to an almost $11k charitable donation to Reaction Institute, a place where kids learn judo. His lawyers worked out the deal with "Brazilian officials" so that he could leave the country.

My question is, isn't that just robbery by a different definition? The guys filed a police report saying they were robbed at gunpoint, that is not necessarily untrue from what i've read. A small amount of damage was done and when approached by gas station employees $50 was offered as restitution. Thats when things get muddled and accusations of guns and americans being unruly comes in. They settled on $400 reluctantly and probably left feeling like they were "robbed" Idk. I don't think the swimmers are blameless in this but $11k donations seems like a robbery to me.

I briefly considered that Brazil might just be protecting its reputation by going after these guys for a false report but then I remembered that their reputation is already shot.

So I just read that Jimmy Fiegen agreed to an almost $11k charitable donation to Reaction Institute, a place where kids learn judo. His lawyers worked out the deal with "Brazilian officials" so that he could leave the country.

My question is, isn't that just robbery by a different definition? The guys filed a police report saying they were robbed at gunpoint, that is not necessarily untrue from what i've read. A small amount of damage was done and when approached by gas station employees $50 was offered as restitution. Thats when things get muddled and accusations of guns and americans being unruly comes in. They settled on $400 reluctantly and probably left feeling like they were "robbed" Idk. I don't think the swimmers are blameless in this but $11k donations seems like a robbery to me.

I briefly considered that Brazil might just be protecting its reputation by going after these guys for a false report but then I remembered that their reputation is already shot.

I took a class in comparative law as an elective.  The professor had a particular interest in Brazil.  We spent some time covering the concept of "jeito," which is Portugese for a "knack" or a "way of getting around." At lower levels, like small crimes and civil matters, Brazilian law is practically centered on the jeito.  It surprised me not at all that Feigen got away with a charitable donation, and it would surprise me even less to learn that the judge is a board member of the charity in question and/or will receive some sort of personal benefit from this.

This is not a criticism of Brazil.  They have their way and we have ours.  They're used to theirs.

In equestrian who gets the medal, the rider or the horse or both? Sucks that the caddie in golf doesn't get a medal when they do half the work lugging the bag around.

A lot of the time, the riders will try to stress the horse made it possible. Horse gets nice oats at the end, doesn't give a sh!t about medals. They do get ribbons though. Huzzah. At the risk of sounding like a horse girl (dear god no I swear I am not), some horses are just plain athletes. And I've seen plenty of them in medal round go "pff, not feelin it" and not clear their jumps or whatever. A great rider can overcome that to a certain extent, but yeah, it's a partnership. It'd be like your synchronized diving partner just not quite pulling their weight. 

It's a bit of an odd sport for Olympics, yeah, that's a well worn argument at this point. Meh. But riding's pretty damn tough, and they're marking your ability to look completely calm and relaxed while controlling a 1500 pound animal with your fingertips. Full disclosure, I find dressage boring a.f. to watch. Give me rodeo, roping, or barrel racing any day. 

Anyways:

This is probably my favorite little silly thing about track n field- remote control cars to retrieve discus/javelin/ etc

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/remote-control-go-fer-vehicles-trucks-discus-javelin-hammer-olympic-track-and-field-rio-brazil/muefv58rkgyt1hgtc2k3wl5np

A lot of the time, the riders will try to stress the horse made it possible. Horse gets nice oats at the end, doesn't give a sh!t about medals. They do get ribbons though. Huzzah. At the risk of sounding like a horse girl (dear god no I swear I am not), some horses are just plain athletes. And I've seen plenty of them in medal round go "pff, not feelin it" and not clear their jumps or whatever. A great rider can overcome that to a certain extent, but yeah, it's a partnership. It'd be like your synchronized diving partner just not quite pulling their weight. 

It's a bit of an odd sport for Olympics, yeah, that's a well worn argument at this point. Meh. But riding's pretty damn tough, and they're marking your ability to look completely calm and relaxed while controlling a 1500 pound animal with your fingertips. Full disclosure, I find dressage boring a.f. to watch. Give me rodeo, roping, or barrel racing any day. 

Anyways:

This is probably my favorite little silly thing about track n field- remote control cars to retrieve discus/javelin/ etc

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/remote-control-go-fer-vehicles-trucks-discus-javelin-hammer-olympic-track-and-field-rio-brazil/muefv58rkgyt1hgtc2k3wl5np

Not questioning the difficulty just that we say Secretariat won the Triple Crown and bestow praise on the horse while the jockey is often an afterthought. Again a partnership no doubt but we are judging the prowess and athleticism of the horse in racing and the reverse in equestrian events. Was really just curious if the horse was recognized is all.

She's not transgender, she's allegedly intersex (meaning she was born with both sexual organs or has features of both).

I'm not trying to be a dick but in my mind that would almost make her half male. Or would that make him half female ? In any event I would have to agree with Pastajoe. Its really not fair to the females competing in that event because she doesn't really fit the description of female without going over the line into male territory. 

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/20/12571456/rio-2016-olympics-team-usa-paul-chelimo-disqualified-from-5000m-after-winning-silver

Complete bs. I ran track in the SEC. Elite runners racing in a tight pack is going to involve contact. Elbowing and what not. Paul Chelimo got screwed. Hope an appeal is made. And to make matters worse is he found out from a reporter. 

Did not know.  It is the official medical term for the trait, no?

It's not like it has come up in any conversation I've had in a very, very long time. 

Intersex is the term most use now and is considered to be a medical term for the condition. Hermaphrodite actually means having FULL male and female traits which is impossible for humans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.