OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

I'm not a medal history expert. Is that being reported?

Google tells me USA-St. Louis-1904. I remember Los Angeles, 1984.

LA, of course, comes with an asterisk. As does Moscow.

For all countries that participated, in case anyone thinks I'm denigrating your country's achievements.

I suppose we could take this to the Veesee thread.

I don't actually believe I was, nor do I offend anybody either. But, you did. See how that works?

We've didn't answer your question. He summed up your feelings. The questions I asked were directed at you, personally. Why do you think it's OK to offend people directly just as long as you're not offending a group all while preaching tolerance and empathy? Why do you feel you can draw a line as to where you can offend, but I can't?

But seriously, I'd love to hear your answers Hoss. You tend to disappear when called out on your actions and I'd just like to give you the opportunity to defend yourself. I have no problem with you insulting me, if you had just left it at that. I can take it. I just don't like being insulted by somebody that just finished telling me that I need to be more tolerant and empathetic. You can PM me if you like.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program of gold medal games.

I'm not a medal history expert. Is that being reported?

Google tells me USA-St. Louis-1904. I remember Los Angeles, 1984.

Thank you for the correction. Apparently the table I looked at was incorrect. This will be the 3rd highest. Still very impressive. 

I have to admit, sometimes I feel like we are a bully in these games. So many more resources and athletes than so much of the rest of the world. Like we are the 00's Rangers and the rest of the world consists of Golisano owned Sabres teams.

And then the winter olympics come along and we dont look so dominant....

I suppose we could take this to the Veesee thread.

But seriously, I'd love to hear your answers Hoss. You tend to disappear when called out on your actions and I'd just like to give you the opportunity to defend yourself. I have no problem with you insulting me, if you had just left it at that. I can take it. I just don't like being insulted by somebody that just finished telling me that I need to be more tolerant and empathetic. You can PM me if you like.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program of gold medal games.

To the bold: I answered the question before you asked it because N'eo called me out on the same thing.

To the italics: lol, what a lame and inaccurate cheap shot. Often times I will walk away from a conversation that I feel is useless banter instead of productive conversation. No reason to subject the board to a ton of useless banter. This conversation could be meaningful, but i don't think it will be or has been due to your thoughts that you don't have to consider the feelings of others. That's your choice and you have a right to that choice. I disagree with it and view your reasoning as lazy (on your part) and using the ignorance of others as an excuse (due to you saying few people know what the term means).

Smell seems to understand the distinction I was making between what I said and what you said:

I haven't followed the blow by blow here, but the distinction is generally this: There's a difference between treating someone adversely because of what they say and do, and treating someone adversely because of their race, ethnicity, class, or other status inherent to the who they are.

Edited by Hoss

So ignorance is your reasoning for being offensive? Yea, that's the entire problem in the first place.

And if you're not willing to keep up with "terms created by the hour" how about terms created by the decade? Intersex has been around since 2006...

I'm just glad you based your entire pro-offensive terms argument around laziness and ignorance so we can all understand you very clearly.

Notice how I was able to (allegedly) offend JJ as an individual and not an entire race or gender or religion? That's the wonderful thing. You can be offensive towards an individual if you really feel like it but there are ways to do it without lobbying an attack on classes of people.

If JJ is offended by what I said it'll be a whole load of irony, too. His entire post was predicated on how he feels entitled to being offensive to groups of people entirely because people don't know what the terms mean (ignorance) and he's unwilling to learn "new terms" (laziness).

I wasn't being deliberately offensive. I was interpreting what JJ said which, to me, is hard to interpret in any other way. I mean JJ went out of his way to say he doesn't care and will be the way he is regardless of that.

To the bold: I answered the question before you asked it because N'eo called me out on the same thing.

To the italics: lol, what a lame and inaccurate cheap shot. Often times I will walk away from a conversation that I feel is useless banter instead of productive conversation. No reason to subject the board to a ton of useless banter. This conversation could be meaningful, but i don't think it will be or has been due to your thoughts that you don't have to consider the feelings of others. That's your choice and you have a right to that choice. I disagree with it and view your reasoning as lazy (on your part) and using the ignorance of others as an excuse (due to you saying few people know what the term means).

Smell seems to understand the distinction I was making between what I said and what you said:

Hoss, if you want to have a productive conversation, you should probably refrain from comments like these. If you're going to tell people how to express themselves and how to act on a public forum, you should probably look in the mirror because you are the most guilty of them all. The politically correct left are often the most guilty of their own manufactured sins. 

Hoss, if you want to have a productive conversation, you should probably refrain from comments like these. If you're going to tell people how to express themselves and how to act on a public forum, you should probably look in the mirror because you are the most guilty of them all. The politically correct left are often the most guilty of their own manufactured sins. 

It seems you're intentionally trying to destruct and distract. I am the first to admit that I fail to articulate well at times and many other posters have this ability far beyond my own, but the quotes you bolded aren't offensive. They're purely responses to the way you have spoken or acted in this thread.

"So ignorance is your reasoning for being offensive? Yea, that's the entire problem in the first place." - Can you say that isn't true? Your long post about why you will continue to use whatever term you feel like using stated that most people don't even understand what hermaphrodite means (is that not the definition of ignorance?). You defend your uses of terms through other people's ignorance. I wasn't calling you ignorant. I wasn't even calling other people ignorant. I was taking your statements as fact to get a clear understanding of how you think despite my disagreement that most people don't know the term. And that is the problem with those who feel it is okay to use offensive terms in the first place.

"I'm just glad you based your entire pro-offensive terms argument around laziness and ignorance so we can all understand you very clearly." - Most certainly a backhanded comment, but it is once again a reference purely to your words and actions and not a judgement based on the things you haven't controlled or a definition outside the boundaries of what you've opened yourself up for. The reference to "ignorance" here is a dip back into what I mentioned above. The reference to laziness was a jab at you saying you aren't going to put the effort into learning the most current terms (even if "intersex" has been around for nine years).

"His entire post was predicated on how he feels entitled to being offensive to groups of people" - Why is this bolded? That's what your post was about so I don't really understand. You talked about how you currently talk and how you feel it is okay to do so and there is no need to act any other way.

"will be the way he is" - Maybe I took your post wrong but aren't you saying you're simply not willing to change the way you talk?

"This conversation could be meaningful, but i don't think it will be or has been due to your thoughts that you don't have to consider the feelings of others" - See the note above. You made sure to say you aren't going to change the way you speak. There is no progress if either side is unwilling. In this case I have a feeling both sides are unwilling to relent on most or all points.

If nothing else I do thank you for forcing me to expand on the things I said. If I don't have the time to fully explain what I mean then I don't have time to say anything at all.

Edited by Hoss

Well Hoss, I don't think 'hermaphrodite' is offensive either. It takes two to offend. If there isn't malicious intent on one side to offend, then that person isn't doing wrong in their mind. However, you and We've have noted that if one person finds something offensive the other should go out of their way to avoid offending even if you don't think it's offensive. 

I thought the bolded was offensive regardless of your intent. Note, I wasn't offended..... I just think they're offensive and hypocritical. You think the rules you expect others to live by don't apply to you. And that's OK, just man up and admit it. 

Have a great afternoon, Hoss. 

Sorry to everybody for hijacking a thread. I'll PM Hoss so we can continue our conversation privately. 

It takes two to offend. If there isn't malicious intent on one side to offend, then that person isn't doing wrong in their mind.

Oh, man. This is really something.

However, you and We've have noted that if one person finds something offensive the other should go out of their way to avoid offending even if you don't think it's offensive.

"One person."

Quite a trick there.

This sort of debate is fairly pointless. Like trying to get water to hold its shape without the benefit of a container.

Oh, man. This is really something.

"One person."

Quite a trick there.

This sort of debate is fairly pointless. Like trying to get water to hold its shape without the benefit of a container.

If you're a hermaphrodite, and I call you a hermaphrodite...................... how did I do anything offensive? Hermaphrodite is a scientific term. Was there intent? Is it considered offensive because you, as the hermaphrodite, considers it offensive? If so, how come it's perfectly OK to offend me with insults? Funny how people can cherry pick what's offensive, but when they do it it's perfectly OK. What's next, is homosapien going to be considered offensive because it has the prefix h0m0- in it? There's enough hypocrisy in here to suffocate a panintergender. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I have to admit, sometimes I feel like we are a bully in these games. So many more resources and athletes than so much of the rest of the world. Like we are the 00's Rangers and the rest of the world consists of Golisano owned Sabres teams.

And then the winter olympics come along and we dont look so dominant....

I was thinking about that, too. Add cultural diversity. 330 million people with dozens and dozens of interests and backgrounds.

Words evolve. Words have different meanings to different people.

If the purpose is to communicate well, both parties should be conscious of how the words are being perceived.

I tried to say this out of the gates. You said it better.

Thank you for the correction. Apparently the table I looked at was incorrect. This will be the 3rd highest. Still very impressive.

I think it's cool what Great Britain's done. Not exactly a long shot, I guess, but I would never have guessed GB without medal prediction tables.

If my name is getting brought back up....

A correction. What I noted was... If a person finds something offensive, it takes no efffort whatsoever to avoid offending. When we are discussing labels of course. Quite the opposite of going out of one's way.

If you're a hermaphrodite, and I call you a hermaphrodite...................... how did I do anything offensive? Hermaphrodite is a scientific term. Was there intent? Is it considered offensive because you, as the hermaphrodite, considers it offensive? If so, how come it's perfectly OK to offend me with insults? Funny how people can cherry pick what's offensive, but when they do it it's perfectly OK. What's next, is homosapien going to be considered offensive because it has the prefix h0m0- in it? There's enough hypocrisy in here to suffocate a panintergender.

But it takes no effort at all to use a different label. Omce someone is aware of the offense, what is the point of using the old label? What do you lose by changing?

Replied before seeing the new thread. Continuing there...

Edited by We've

How about this: you call me a hermaphrodite, I say I find that offensive and would prefer you use another term. Is that OK with you? If not, and you insist on repeating the term I find offensive, are you now deliberately being offensive? 

There's a whole thread now.  Let's keep this one Olymperific.

(PS USAUSAUSA on the basketball!)

And another Olympic Games is coming to an end. For those that have watched the Games, there will always be at least one moment or athlete you will not forget. Mine is Matthew Centrowitz Jr. winning the 1,500 meter last night. He went for it all w/ 600 meters go. Dropped the hammer so to speak to deliver an incredible kick. Seemed as if he was thinking first or nothing. What a run. And to make things even more memorable is this was America's first gold medal in the 1,500 since 1908! Hope everyone had an opportunity to watch the Olympics. It truly is something special.

And another Olympic Games is coming to an end. For those that have watched the Games, there will always be at least one moment or athlete you will not forget. Mine is Matthew Centrowitz Jr. winning the 1,500 meter last night. He went for it all w/ 600 meters go. Dropped the hammer so to speak to deliver an incredible kick. Seemed as if he was thinking first or nothing. What a run. And to make things even more memorable is this was America's first gold medal in the 1,500 since 1908! Hope everyone had an opportunity to watch the Olympics. It truly is something special.

Gabby Douglas in the 4 x 100 meter water polo, hands down.

Ok, seriously.  The Brazilian mens' volleyball team, this afternoon.

It was nowhere near the mess that was predicted.

I think a lot of stuff that normally would have been subject to outcry was ignored because the buildup prepared everyone for it. Once people, especially the athletes, knew that their stay was going to be filled with weirdness, they very likely just accepted it and moved on. 

I think predicting that Rio was going to be a mess helped reduce the newsworthiness of the actual problems that occurred. Like the green pool, unsafe bike courses, etc. "Oh, well it's Rio. What did you expect?"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.