Do you read Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason?

Eleven

Do you read Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason?

• I read Jerry only
    • I read Bucky only
    • I read neither
    • I read both

Bucky isn't for the people on this site; those who have opinions on which prospect will make it or the names of players who got cut from the Bills practice squad. He's for people like my dad who watch the game on Sunday, move on, and maybe read an article about them every once in a while. I'm sure Bucky offered something new to him because he doesn't sit on a message board all day and think about this stuff.

Now there's some insight.

Thanks for that. That makes good sense.

Fwiw, I don't think you need to be a message-board-obsessive-type in order to find little to no value in what Bucky offers. But I think you do well to identify the kinds of readers to whom he does offer value, and I think there are likely a good number of those folks.

This seems like the old theory about how families can rip each other to shreds, but if someone outside the family does it, they are to be instinctively attacked. You offer half-baked theories and takes, Smell. And so do I. I don't hold it against Bucky. (Not even sure they are half-baked this time. The common denominator of two franchises in the toilet is the Pegulas.)

As for bad writing, this wasn't bad. It was great.

Sharp, funny and I learned something: the Pope LaLas!

If Patty loses his cool and snaps in front of his holiness like he did too often with the Pegulas, he won't be good enough for the Pope, either.

Patty's hockey acumen certainly was good enough for the Pegulas, but his bombastic displays wore on everybody after a while.

Now there's some insight.

Thanks for that. That makes good sense.

Fwiw, I don't think you need to be a message-board-obsessive-type in order to find little to no value in what Bucky offers. But I think you do well to identify the kinds of readers to whom he does offer value, and I think there are likely a good number of those folks.

The thing is,... it's sports journalism. It all has little to no value.  :devil:

This seems like the old theory about how families can rip each other to shreds, but if someone outside the family does it, they are to be instinctively attacked. You offer half-baked theories and takes, Smell. And so do I. I don't hold it against Bucky. (Not even sure they are half-baked this time. The common denominator of two franchises in the toilet is the Pegulas.)

As for bad writing, this wasn't bad. It was great.

Sharp, funny and I learned something: the Pope LaLas!

Come now, the franchises were in the toilet long before the Pegulas bought them, but you know that. The Bills far more than the Sabres, of course, but neither had any playoff success in 4 (in the Sabres case) and what, 15 years (in the Bills case) before Pegula came by.

• 3 months later...

I heard that Bucky was out on Twitter chirping Reinhart as a top 6 forward on a bad NHL team, an inevitable bottom 6 on a good playoff team, and a bust as a #2 overall.

That's why I stay as far away from Bucky as possible. I'm dumber just for having typed that summary of his take.

I've gone back to reading Sullivan, though. I'd given up on him when it seemed like he was just going with the knee jerk doomsday takes. Whether thet was ever really the case, I don't know. His columns of late have been good, imo -- the crack about the Pegullibles (?) notwithstanding.

They both do what they're supposed to do (and paid to do), which is to generate comment and get people talking.  They are columnists, not beat reporters.  The fact that we have generated 3 pages talking about them proves the point.  I don't begrudge them, I do read them, but know that some times they are going for a reaction.   What's life if we all agree ;) ?

They both do what they're supposed to do (and paid to do), which is to generate comment and get people talking. They are columnists, not beat reporters. The fact that we have generated 3 pages talking about them proves the point. I don't begrudge them, I do read them, but know that some times they are going for a reaction. What's life if we all agree ;) ?

I've seen this defense of terrible sports writers on the internet about 100 times. It's not a good defense.

I've seen this defense of terrible sports writers on the internet about 100 times. It's not a good defense.

I'm not defending them.  I'm acknowledging that they do a vital job promoting provacative discussion (aka, their job).  They are entertainers like Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh and Dr. Phil.  It sells papers, and therefore brings in advertising revenues, critical for a newspapers survival.  Be thankful they are here.   The survival of the the Buffalo News may depend on it.

• 1 month later...

Had gone back to reading Sully for a stretch, until he dropped his bit of unbidden sh1ttiness on Twitter:

"When the next Derek Carr or Russell Wilson emerges from the 2017 draft, I hope Bills fans remember how happy they were about keeping Taylor."

God. What absolute contempt for the average fan that thought exhibits.

Had gone back to reading Sully for a stretch, until he dropped his bit of unbidden sh1ttiness on Twitter:

"When the next Derek Carr or Russell Wilson emerges from the 2017 draft, I hope Bills fans remember how happy they were about keeping Taylor."

God. What absolute contempt for the average fan that thought exhibits.

He's miserable. When he'd be on GR, I'd change the station. No point to listen to him, nor read his articles either.

And slightly off topic, sadly in '13, the year they had a pick high enough to get a keeper, there wasn't 1 single one in the entire draft. Either EJ or Glennon was the best there was. There was no Carr or Wilson anywhere that year. Now, THAT is some seriously bad luck.

Remember the Congressman who shouted, "YOU LIE!" at Obama? I am shouting it.

Almost 80% of those responding read neither of them yet still hold very strong and specific opinions about how terrible they are? Interesting. (It's also implausible that so many die-hard sports fans wouldn't read any bit of material they can find on their teams, in a town with limited sports media.)

Almost 80% of those responding read neither of them yet still hold very strong and specific opinions about how terrible they are? Interesting. (It's also implausible that so many die-hard sports fans wouldn't read any bit of material they can find on their teams, in a town with limited sports media.)

I can only speak for myself, but I literally only read either of them when a specific column of theirs is a subject of conversation here on SabresSpace.  My opinion, if I even have one, is just what rubs off from the rest of the posters here.

It doesn't mean that the 80% didn't read them at some point.  I certainly did.  But I won't anymore, because I don't like them.

And there are plenty of other options for reading opinions on the Sabres, starting with this board.

We must be in re-runs. Again.

If anything, I would turn that number on its head and venture that almost 80% of the people responding to the poll have read enough of each writer to have an informed opinion on whether or not they're worth reading. I know I have.

I was genuinely irritated with Sullivan this past week. I had returned to reading him for weeks, maybe months. He really does write well. And the pieces I read were fair enough (and certainly suffused with his typical cynicism).

And then he Tweeted that absolute steaming turd of awfulness, and flung it at the faces of fans who have suffered more than enough without a pencil-neck-geek writer taking a gratuitous shot of his own. He made me, like, Mike-Harrington-level angry with that content.

I used to frequently read both. Now I will only read them when conversation elsewhere steers me there.

I think it's commentary on the value of what they produce when someone as addicted to Sabre info as I am has made that choice.

They are the equivalent of the guy you avoid at the water cooler because you just don't want to listen to his same old tired predictable complaints.

Not sure what's hard to believe about that.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.