Foligno Signs One Year Extension

Brawndo

The #Sabres have signed restricted free agent Marcus Foligno to a one-year contract.

That doesn't seem like a vote of confidence. Does that put him UFA at the end, or is it a tiny-bridge that gets the Sabres to the next contract while he's still RFA?

Based on?  IIRC because he made over 1M last year the team is only required to offer him 100% of last year's salary as the qualifying offer.

What I don't know is if that's based on base salary or AAV.

Base salary makes it 2.25M minimum.

AAV makes it 1.875M

Given that it's only a 1 year tender I can't imagine the team is offering any more than they are required to otherwise this would have become a multi-year deal.

You may be right.  No time to look it up right now.  My calculation  was 110% of last year, obviously.

You may be right.  No time to look it up right now.  My calculation  was 110% of last year, obviously.

He passes the 180/3/60 test so since he was over 1 mill salary it's 100% of last year, one-way (QO). He obviously wanted more but took this over arbitration ('cause we know how that turns out).

Based on last year's base salary or his last contract's AAV?  I'm guessing base, but the NHLPA can't negotiate it's way out of a wet paper bag so it might be the other.

Salary.

I think Foligno took just that. One year, same as last year.

One other note; McCormick going on LTIR adds 1.5 million in cap space. Also Franson could also be waived and sent down to clear up more cap space. I think this could very well happen if Nelson has a great camp. Frankly demoting Franson would help our kids down in Rochester.

Franson belongs in Rochester.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.