DD: 95 points

WildCard

Your HC, DD, sat down for an interview recently and said we should be 95 points or higher

"When we talked about our plan starting last year, we thought we were going to be an 80- to 85-point team last season even though we were obviously trying to make the playoffs right from the start. Prior to getting Kyle and the possibility of getting Jimmy Vesey, we thought we could be a 90- to 95-point team this year. Now Kyle and Kulikov, and if we can add Jimmy Vesey into our top six, we should expect to be 95 points or higher than that. We think we're better on defense. We think we're stronger. We're deeper. If you're looking at expectations from within, we should be above 95 points at the end of the season. It took 95 points to get into the playoffs in the East last season."

Thoughts?

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-with-sabres-coach-bylsma/c-281153416

Those must be the expectations going forward and the coach must set the standard.

Not unrealistic and completely necessary.

It's the mindset winning teams must have.

I get the Vesey thing, but if you are trying to land him, it doesn't hurt to remind him of his opportunity here.

Didn't see anything there that was needy or presumptuous.

I was interested in the bit about the power play.

Looks like Kyle gets that spot in the midpoint of the cross where Moulson and COR filled space last year.

Sam did some time there before moving down low too.

I guess that was McGinns spot for most of the year?

I seem to remember him being down low more, but maybe that was just when he was finishing.

Looks like Kyle gets that spot in the midpoint of the cross where Moulson and COR filled space last year.

I seem to remember him being down low more, but maybe that was just when he was finishing.

I'm sleepy this morning. Kyle who gets what where?

It is weird that Hot Daniel qualified anything with Vesey.

I know it was off the cuff, but I don't like that he did that.

Good call, PA.

He did specifically say they were looking for 90-95 points even before they signed Okposo and the emphasis on expecting 95 points now seemed more about Okposo than Vesey to me. Vesey seemed more like an icing on the cake.

Again, we are going to end up talking Vesey instead of Okposo and Kulikov, even though those guys were the focus of the 95 point statement, aren't we?

I'm sleepy this morning. Kyle who gets what where?

Power play. Dan was talking about how Kyle was the perfect fit.

i was watching an Islander game last night and O was on the half wall there and was a nice passer and play maker.

Right in line with where I'm at.  Playoffs are a reasonable expectation, but essentially we should be a bubble team and falling just short still would have the rebuild on track.

Disagree, unless our GT sucks major, this is a playoff team or it better be. 

Disagree, unless our GT sucks major, this is a playoff team or it better be. 

Well, that's kind of the point: uncertainty. On paper this is a decent-good team, but I don't think it's good enough to overcome a bunch of uncertainty that winds up on the negative side of things. Wherever we end up in the standings, how we got there is important to me.

Just looking at how they played the second half of last season shows they are a team ready to make playoffs. If they improve, as most assume they will, I think they make it easily into the 11th or 12th place

Sabres had 47 points in the second half of the season. If they played like that in the first half they would've had 94 points and placed 8th in the Conference. Detroit had 93. 

Edited by GoPre

I think 95 points and playoffs is a bit of a stretch for this team yet.    They're getting better, but teams will start to take them more seriously, meaning they won't start their backup tendies, etc... That will have a negative impact.   I could see them floating around within shooting distance of 8th, but likely landing somewhere around 9-11th with a 5-10 point improvement, somewhere around 85-90 points. 

I think 95 points and playoffs is a bit of a stretch for this team yet.    They're getting better, but teams will start to take them more seriously, meaning they won't start their backup tendies, etc... That will have a negative impact.   I could see them floating around within shooting distance of 8th, but likely landing somewhere around 9-11th with a 5-10 point improvement, somewhere around 85-90 points. 

If we were to bracket a projection between 85 and 95 points (which encompasses yours and Hot Daniel's), I think that'd cover about 67% (call it 2/3) of possible outcomes for next season. I.e., an 11.5% chance that they'd finish on either side of (below, above) that bracket.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.