Have Things Changed for the Sabres?

WildCard

So on GR and other outlets, including Murray in his own presser, the talk was that the Okposo signing finally legitimized Buffalo and particularly, this organization. Not only did we go out and get the 2nd best FA on the market, but it took all of 15 minutes; he didn't shop around and settle, he came right over here. And where did he come from? He came from a 100 pt playoff team fresh of a 1st round win and a legitimate superstar in John Tavares. That same Tavares who received even more hype than Eichel.

So, why did Okposo come here then? Is it the money? I doubt it, as it seems highly probably that he could have gotten more money elsewhere. The term? IIRC others offered 7 years. The area? It's not NYC, but when asked about it, Okposo told Murray to save his breath, he already knew how great this area was.

No, what it really was was the chance to win. We have legitimate superstars on this team; Okposo even said so himself. We have A+ quality leaders and two way players. We have a young stud on the back end, a winning coach, and a GM who is no ######, all action, and one with a plan.

So, my question is this: we missed out on Stamkos, and immediately you heard everyone go 'Because Buffalo'. Hell, we even drafted Jack ###### Eichel and you heard that same damn slogan. Well, where was that phrase when Okposo came here? Is it going to persist until we win a Cup? Will it come back if Vesey goes elsewhere? 

What does it take for you to look around and believe that we've changed? Hell, even the logo and ###### TC is gone!

Edited by WildCard

It's like talking about the weather. The more it's talked about the worst it gets and takes on a life of it's own. Sure we have gone through tough weather both in nature and sports but the talk is at times far beyond the reality in my opinion.

The whole woe is Buffalo mantra will probably exist until they win a cup or Super Bowl. Coming close won't cut it because the Bills and Sabres have both been close and the mantra still exists.

It'll exist until the end of Buffalo sports. Even after winning a Cup or Super Bowl. Whenever something doesn't go Buffalo's way, you'll always hear people saying it's because of Buffalo....

Edited by GoPre

Because Buffalo to me has everything to do with it not being a very desirable place to play when trying to recruit talented athletes, and absolutely nothing to do with bad luck or misfortune on the field/ice.

The two are connected. #becausedetroit #becausepittsburgh.

Detroit and Pittsburgh have a disproportionately high number of fortune 500 companies who are headquartered there.  Pgh: US Steel, Alcoa, Bayer, Westinghouse, Consolidated Co Black and Decker, Detroit:  Ford, GM, Chrysler Fiat NA, and others.  The communities have a lot of wealth and while inner city Detroit is scary, it is tirning around in some places.  Buffalo has very few of these companies.  The vibrancy pales to PGH and Detroit.  I have lived in all 3.  Buffalo is the Green Bay of the NHL without the tradition history or winning.  Tough sell.

Detroit and Pittsburgh have a disproportionately high number of fortune 500 companies who are headquartered there.  Pgh: US Steel, Alcoa, Bayer, Westinghouse, Consolidated Co Black and Decker, Detroit:  Ford, GM, Chrysler Fiat NA, and others.  The communities have a lot of wealth and while inner city Detroit is scary, it is tirning around in some places.  Buffalo has very few of these companies.  The vibrancy pales to PGH and Detroit.  I have lived in all 3.  Buffalo is the Green Bay of the NHL without the tradition history or winning.  Tough sell.

I agree with all of this, but I think this is a set of reasons that is more applicable to the question of new stadium viability than to the question of appeal to young professional athletes.

IMHO, young professional athletes want good, winning organizations, big contracts, fun places to go out and glitz/glamor/celebrity.

Buffalo now offers #1 and #2 and, with a less-blighted and more vibrant downtown, more and more of #3.  It does not and never will offer #4 -- but #4 is for most of these guys a distant 4th on the list.

So I think both the Sabres and Bills are in much better shape with respect to free agents than they have been in a generation.

The interesting element of the Okposo signing is that he asked three specific guys about living and playing in Buffalo, Matty Moulson, Stafford and Vanek. All three of them, in their most recent experience in Buffalo were routinely hounded and harassed if not vilified by the fans and press, and yet all three gave glowing reports on the city. During an NFL draft about 15 years ago Mike Tirico on ESPN was talking about the Bills draft and said that around the league, no one wants to go to Buffalo and then as soon as they get there no one wants to leave. Of course there are exceptions but I think it's true for the most part.

The interesting element of the Okposo signing is that he asked three specific guys about living and playing in Buffalo, Matty Moulson, Stafford and Vanek. All three of them, in their most recent experience in Buffalo were routinely hounded and harassed if not vilified by the fans and press, and yet all three gave glowing reports on the city. During an NFL draft about 15 years ago Mike Tirico on ESPN was talking about the Bills draft and said that around the league, no one wants to go to Buffalo and then as soon as they get there no one wants to leave. Of course there are exceptions but I think it's true for the most part.

Have heard that from many sources. No reason to believe it isn't true.

Especially for hockey players (hailing primarily from Canada, yes, Okposo is Minnesotan, not referring to him specifically) there's a lot to like about the area:

1 Easy access to Canada

2 Except for taxes, very reasonable cost of living, especially for real estate

3 Good schools (important for the ones w/ families)

4 Good food

5 Similar weather to what MOST of them grew up with

6 Infrastructure put in place for when city & region were twice as large, so very easy commutes

7 Though totally lacking "glitz," there's a lot of other stuff around to do.

That's just a quickie list.

I agree with all of this, but I think this is a set of reasons that is more applicable to the question of new stadium viability than to the question of appeal to young professional athletes.

IMHO, young professional athletes want good, winning organizations, big contracts, fun places to go out and glitz/glamor/celebrity.

Buffalo now offers #1 and #2 and, with a less-blighted and more vibrant downtown, more and more of #3.  It does not and never will offer #4 -- but #4 is for most of these guys a distant 4th on the list.

So I think both the Sabres and Bills are in much better shape with respect to free agents than they have been in a generation.

I will give you the chance to edit "winning" out of your post. Just admit it shouldn't be there. But if you want to fight, it'll be a tough one. I expect you'll go with "winning=committed to winning/first class owners."

Have heard that from many sources. No reason to believe it isn't true.

Especially for hockey players (hailing primarily from Canada, yes, Okposo is Minnesotan, not referring to him specifically) there's a lot to like about the area:

1 Easy access to Canada

2 Except for taxes, very reasonable cost of living, especially for real estate

3 Good schools (important for the ones w/ families)

4 Good food

5 Similar weather to what MOST of them grew up with

6 Infrastructure put in place for when city & region were twice as large, so very easy commutes

7 Though totally lacking "glitz," there's a lot of other stuff around to do.

That's just a quickie list.

100% agree. These are some of the things that brought me back after 20 years. Really glad I made the decsion to leave D.C., sure the money is better, but you can't put a price on your sanity

I will give you the chance to edit "winning" out of your post. Just admit it shouldn't be there. But if you want to fight, it'll be a tough one. I expect you'll go with "winning=committed to winning/first class owners."

You've been very vocal about the team not winning yet. But everyone can see it coming from a mile away. With a core of ROR, Samson, Eichel, and Risto it's only a matter of time before we're contenders. Kyle Okposo saw it.

You've been very vocal about the team not winning yet. But everyone can see it coming from a mile away. With a core of ROR, Samson, Eichel, and Risto it's only a matter of time before we're contenders. Kyle Okposo saw it.

That seems neither here nor there.

Slow your roll. We need to see players prove themselves before we can even talk this. 

Slow your roll. We need to see players prove themselves before we can even talk this. 

Exactly. There's still time for Vesey to poison Eichel and turn him into an entitled crotch turd (props to PA in a non-sarcastic way) who will never amount to anything because he wants life served to him like a Trump kid. Then once that happens the only thing Reinhart will pick up from O'Reilly will be his poor driving habits. Ristolainen will flounder next to Kulikov who will bolt to the KHL after the season and it will be tank fest all over again.

#BecauseBuffalo#

amirite?

A backup goaltender backed out of signing with the Sabres.  Things can still improve.

Chad Johnson is from Saskatoon, which isn't terribly far from Calgary, he wanted to play close to home.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.