Sabres Pick - Swedish C - Rasmus Asplund - Rnd 2 #33

Taro T

:lol:

That was probably a poor way to phrase it. Our best center not in the NHL? I've been enjoying Jack, Samson, ROR, Johan so much that I forgot to notice our lack of center prospects.

If you wanted to rile up the natives you could still call Reinhart a center prospect, since he's an NHL wing right now :D

In 2014 he captained the Swedish U-18 team - he was only 16 at the time

in the last WJC he had the tough assignment of playing against the top lines of Finland, USA and Canada (Aho, Matthews and Point) and was able to shut them all down completely. All 3 players went scoreless v Asplund in the head to head match-up.

Sounds to me that Larrson is just keeping that 3rd line center spot warm for his fellow Swede.

Sounds to me that Larrson is just keeping that 3rd line center spot warm for his fellow Swede.

No Larsson love? I thought he was fantastic towards the end of last year. Guy really is coming into his own.

Asplund came into the Combine with a height of 5'10.25" and 176.32lbs. 

Here is his hockey writers profile

http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-asplund-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

The first two lines sound a lot like Reinhart.  Obviously GMTM puts a premium on players with a heavy game but I don't think those are the ONLY players he wants.

GMTM realizes that you need a balance of skills/styles (unlike Edomonton who's trying to build a whole team out of high skill 1st line centers).

Murray wants smart hockey players who can skate. Low and behold our first 3 picks are all smart hockey players who can skate. 

Asplund is good in the face-off circle and he has a knack to step into the play very well.  I was utterly thrilled when at #33 his name was called.  Best pick in ages in the second round.  

Asplund is good in the face-off circle and he has a knack to step into the play very well.  I was utterly thrilled when at #33 his name was called.  Best pick in ages in the second round.  

Could be the best 2nd round pick since 2009 but that is only if he pans out which is still a ways away.

Edited by LGR4GM

No Larsson love? I thought he was fantastic towards the end of last year. Guy really is coming into his own.

Asplund came into the Combine with a height of 5'10.25" and 176.32lbs. 

Here is his hockey writers profile

http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-asplund-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

I do like Larsson but I am looking 3 or 4 years down the line when Larsson has the potential to be a UFA. Im assuming the Sabres won't have the cap space at that point to pay him $4 million or so and will need to replaced by someone on their ELC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.