Sabres Pick - Swedish C - Rasmus Asplund - Rnd 2 #33

Taro T

This write-up has me excited: http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-asplund-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/   

Quotables:

“One of Sweden’s better players at the world juniors, Asplund centered the second line with Alexander Nylander (2016) and Dmytro Timashov (Toronto) on his wings. That unit played more like the first line, leading the Tre Kronor in scoring with 21 points in seven games. Coach Rikard Gronborg loved Asplund’s smarts and all-around game and despite being one of the youngest on the squad, Asplund almost made the team last year. The lessons from his late cut before Toronto were important.” – Ryan Kennedy, The Hockey News

“Rasmus Asplund has shown to be a strong skater. His speed and acceleration can give defenders problems on the rush, and his agility adds another layer to that. He can make a quick cut to get by a defender on the inside, or take a defender wide, drop his shoulder and accelerate to the net. Asplund also shows impressive lower body strength and balance, as he skates through checks, and is difficult to knock off the puck.  He will need to continue to add weight to play this style of game in North America.” – Ben Kerr, Last Word on Sports

Edited by Robviously

We now have Rasmi

Well I will be sad to miss Dineen, I like Asplund and think he's a great talent

He could slip, he was ranked #72 on McKenzie's board.  Weirder things have happened.  Trent Frederic in the 1st round, retarded.  

Murray hinted that this would be the pick last night. He said the choice of Alex could possibly affect who he chose today. Clearly this is what he was referring to.

The only way the trade makes sense is if the Sabres REALLY wanted to move up to get Asplund.  I hope that's the case.

Too small and doesn't play the "heavy" game Murray loves.

He has good talent with leadership intangibles and good speed, but still a couple of years away from the NHL.

I see him being acquired as BPA to be used as a piece to be moved down the road for good value.

He has good talent with leadership intangibles and good speed, but still a couple of years away from the NHL.

I see him being acquired as BPA to be used as a piece to be moved down the road for good value.

He quoted in his post round 1 interview, speed, skill, talented players.  That's all what Asplund portrays.  I think you take BPA, in most cases.  

The first two lines sound a lot like Reinhart.  Obviously GMTM puts a premium on players with a heavy game but I don't think those are the ONLY players he wants.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.