Summer 2016 Movie/TV Show thread

qwksndmonster

I saw Sully this afternoon. Driving to the movie, I wondered if you could turn a 2:08 minute event into a compelling two hour story. I learned you cannot.

I'm of the opinion that I would find a documentary about the event and ramifications far more enjoyable than a hollywood produced dramatic reenactment. And I'm not really a huge Tom Hanks (as an actor) fan. 

The story is amazing enough. Admittedly, I'm a huge documentary junkie- I prefer them to dramas 9 times out of ten, so I'm a bit biased/elitist about it. But really... I get borderline pi$$ed when they movie-fy this stuff. 

But I get that documentaries a blockbuster do not make. I don't plan on seeing it. I'd read a book about it. I'd watch a doc.

I'm of the opinion that I would find a documentary about the event and ramifications far more enjoyable than a hollywood produced dramatic reenactment. And I'm not really a huge Tom Hanks (as an actor) fan.

The story is amazing enough. Admittedly, I'm a huge documentary junkie- I prefer them to dramas 9 times out of ten, so I'm a bit biased/elitist about it. But really... I get borderline pi$$ed when they movie-fy this stuff.

But I get that documentaries a blockbuster do not make. I don't plan on seeing it. I'd read a book about it. I'd watch a doc.

An afternoon at the movies led me to Google "Sully Hudson Simulation". Cool stuff. Wade through it and you'll find some documentaries, easily available on YouTube.

I push paper. Men and women who handle machinery fascinate me. The stakes were so high ...

Edited by N'eo

Are you current with the series? Because he does things i can't imagine a human doing to another human.

Yep. I was clued into the show by a Brit back in like 2009 or 2010 and watched the first couple of seasons of the UK version on Netflix before the US version came out and I've been watching the US version religiously ever since (I stopped watching the UK version). He's done deplorable stuff from the start but he's completely unapologetic about it which is what makes him such a lovable scumbag.  

I just hope the US version outlasts the UK one which I think went 9 seasons. The plot was pretty much identical early to the original but like I said I stopped watching the UK version when the US one came out because I didn't want to spoil it because of how much I enjoy it.

Edited by Drunkard

Mr. Robot is still >>>>>

Rami Malek won the Emmy for best actor in a drama series because of course he did. I need more SS people to watch this show and give insight.

I've heard nothing but terrific things about season one, but this is the first truly positive thing I've heard about season two. Was told it really went downhill.

I've heard nothing but terrific things about season one, but this is the first truly positive thing I've heard about season two. Was told it really went downhill.

It's a very different feel, and I love it. I'm lukewarm on the finale, but the season has been great. Malek has only gotten better.

I do know many fans hate it. It's basically gotten harder to keep up/understand, but it's all for good reason as far as I'm concerned.

Many people hated the first few episodes of season one because everything felt kind of isolated and bland, but the payoff is very sudden and puts everything that happened to that point in the season in perspective. There was a lot of focus on characters outside of the main one or two, and this payoff exposes the reason for that.

Not that it's a way to explain away early-season complaints but the episode ratings on IMDB went from the mid-8.0s to averaging the mid-9.0s after this "payoff"/twist happened. The episodes intentionally sucked, is what I'm saying.

They do some nutty in the show. They open one episode with nearly 20 minutes of a slapstick-style 90s sitcom setting (laugh track and all) involving all the main characters. One week during the "previously on Mr. Robot" opening they showed a scene that actually never happened and then open the show with the same exact scene using different characters.

It's all in the head of a severally mentally disable kid named Elliott. What you see is what he wants you to see and what he can't stop you from seeing.

Edited by Hoss

Magnificent Seven has received a refresh it appears. I can't say I'm interested in seeing it though. When the obvious comparison is to a movie with Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn and James Coburn, how could you possibly aspire to do better?

My kid saw the trailer a few days ago and asked if we were going to go see that. I promptly went to my DVD room(yep, it's a whole room, I had a severe addiction) and I pulled the Blu-ray of the original Magnificent Seven from the shelf, and we sat down and watched that. When we were done I told him, "there, now you've seen the one that matters."

My kid saw the trailer a few days ago and asked if we were going to go see that. I promptly went to my DVD room(yep, it's a whole room, I had a severe addiction) and I pulled the Blu-ray of the original Magnificent Seven from the shelf, and we sat down and watched that. When we were done I told him, "there, now you've seen the one that matters."

It's just the best possible cast you could ask for. There have never been actors like them since. A super group on film. Second maybe to The Great Escape? I think it'd be a heated debate.

I just watched a few minutes of the original Mag 7 with my Dad and it was boring and sucky with really awful acting. The part I saw featured a couple jews tryna be mexicans.

I'm ready for the Denzel version.

Just saw the new one, it was very entertaining.

I will post-script that with saying that I'm not one to get up in arms about remakes and the view they somehow have to necessarily improve upon or replace the original. Original is going to exist no matter what, sometimes it's fun to see an old story re-told. Besides, rarely is there ever anything wholly original nowadays, when it comes to movies. Concepts and ideas are so often borrowed. I try to not necessarily dislike a remake just because the original is better.

Edited by Thorny

Shameless is one of the most ridiculous and unrealistic shows I have ever watched. With each passing year, it's almost as if they're saying "We really want to move on with other aspects of our lives and yet they keep renewing us. Maybe if we try this they'll finally pull the plug."

And yet for some reason, I keep watching it. 

I'm still amazed that Shameless keeps moving on while Vinyl got the ax. 

Shameless is one of the most ridiculous and unrealistic shows I have ever watched. With each passing year, it's almost as if they're saying "We really want to move on with other aspects of our lives and yet they keep renewing us. Maybe if we try this they'll finally pull the plug."

And yet for some reason, I keep watching it. 

I'm still amazed that Shameless keeps moving on while Vinyl got the ax. 

Vinyls making a big comeback ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.