Summer 2016 Movie/TV Show thread

qwksndmonster

So, I went to see a movie at a theater for the first time in 14 years (Catch Me If You Can). Saw the new Bourne movie on Sunday. Knew exactly what I was going to get. Got it and didn't care. It was great. The ending was a little kitschy, but the scene (not a spoiler) that takes place in during the Greek riots is un-funking-believable.

Really liked that scene and really liked the movie. If you liked Greengrass's previous 3 Bourne efforts, you'll get that here, too.

Clowns are never scary. They're clowns.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Clowns are never scary? That's like saying no one has some type of phobia. Many adults who were scared by clowns in their childhood still have some type of fear of them. If a person can't be scared by a clown, that means no one can be scared of being on an elevator. Phobias are common. 

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Clowns are never scary? That's like saying no one has some type of phobia. Many adults who were scared by clowns in their childhood still have some type of fear of them. If a person can't be scared by a clown, that means no one can be scared of being on an elevator. Phobias are common.

I've never quite understood the scary factor with clowns. Do I think they are creepy as ? Yes. Would I want my kid alone with one? Hell no. I don't wake up terrified a creep in oversized shoes and makeup is hiding in my closet.

Edited by inkman

Woah, I get all that. I was mostly kidding. What I meant is that I don't personally get the scare factor.

Saw Ben-Hur last night. 3-D. Just not well made movie. It had a made for tv or mini series vibe. Little of the grand scenic opportunity realized. Interesting ten minute chariot race and ten minute naval battle scenes. Almost bizarre ending bringing all characters together to hug. Smiles, hugs, some platitudes, weird. Star power absent, save Morgan Freeman who almost appeared "lonely" wandering among lesser lights.

Edited by N'eo

Saw Ben-Hur last night. 3-D. Just not well made movie. It had a made for tv or mini series vibe. Little of the grand scenic opportunity realized. Interesting ten minute chariot race and ten minute naval battle scenes. Almost bizarre ending bringing all characters together to hug. Smiles, hugs, some platitudes, weird. Star power absent, save Morgan Freeman who almost appeared "lonely" wandering among lesser lights.

I haven't seen the latest Ben-Hur yet, but must admit I probably never will. There are certain movies that shouldn't be remade. Thank you for the heads up. 

I have zero plans of ever watching this movie but if you're not joking about the ending this should be in a spoiler tag.

Glassland, a 2015 movie released on DVD in the U.S. earlier this year, is very good. It's dark but hopeful. A young Irish cabby lives with and takes care of his alcoholic mum. The ending is fascinating. Lots of critics and viewers debating what really happened. It was pretty obvious to me!

Edited by PASabreFan

I have zero plans of ever watching this movie but if you're not joking about the ending this should be in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler trespass acknowledged. On me. That said, I don't think it will change anyone's experience, without attempting to get a pass for my faux pas.

I thought this version was much better as a movie than the 1959 version. And they at least tried to make it about Ben-Hur. It had a really noticable lack of light-hearted moments after the 25 minute mark or so. They were trying to get the script down to a reasonable length for a movie.

The cinemtography was meh on the most part. The chariot scene in particular was a joke. Why did they even bother? At least they built up to it and it served as the climax of the movie. In the '59 Ben Hur the chariot scene was this weird awesome 10 minute action scene in the direct center of the 4 hour runtime.

I thought the acting was good. I'm still salty that they didn't get an actual Jew to play Ben Hur, but at least the rest of the Ben Hurs were jewish. Morgan Freeman had like one scene where he actually got to act, and spent the rest of the movie just kind of there. He has a narrative voiceover in the beginning and end exclusively because he's Morgan Freeman. His character was barely involved in the emotions of the story whatsoever. A narrator that's a character is supposed to be the narrator for some discernable story reason.

I think the bottom line is that the story of Ben Hur isn't very good.

I thought this version was much better as a movie than the 1959 version. And they at least tried to make it about Ben-Hur. It had a really noticable lack of light-hearted moments after the 25 minute mark or so. They were trying to get the script down to a reasonable length for a movie.

The cinemtography was meh on the most part. The chariot scene in particular was a joke. Why did they even bother? At least they built up to it and it served as the climax of the movie. In the '59 Ben Hur the chariot scene was this weird awesome 10 minute action scene in the direct center of the 4 hour runtime.

I thought the acting was good. I'm still salty that they didn't get an actual Jew to play Ben Hur, but at least the rest of the Ben Hurs were jewish. Morgan Freeman had like one scene where he actually got to act, and spent the rest of the movie just kind of there. He has a narrative voiceover in the beginning and end exclusively because he's Morgan Freeman. His character was barely involved in the emotions of the story whatsoever. A narrator that's a character is supposed to be the narrator for some discernable story reason.

I think the bottom line is that the story of Ben Hur isn't very good.

Interesting and good: I felt zealots and zealotry were well portrayed. Think freedom fighters. Also, the Romans marching in as non-discrept human beings becoming formidable only when the cameras pulled back and you saw them en masse, acting as one trained unit, was an interesting perspective.

When Judah's voice went gravelly, post galley slave, it hit me. Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire! The brain works in funny ways.

Finally got out from under a rock and caught Batman vs Superman. I don't get the hate. I thought it was great and stands up there as one of the best modern superhero flicks for me.

Affleck played the perfect Batman that he was asked to. Doomsday was pretty generic but the battle wasn't bad overall. Wonder Woman is wonderful (see what I did there?). Eisenberg wasn't terrible as Lex Luther Jr. The score was a pleasant surprise.

Finally got out from under a rock and caught Batman vs Superman. I don't get the hate. I thought it was great and stands up there as one of the best modern superhero flicks for me.

Affleck played the perfect Batman that he was asked to. Doomsday was pretty generic but the battle wasn't bad overall. Wonder Woman is wonderful (see what I did there?). Eisenberg wasn't terrible as Lex Luther Jr. The score was a pleasant surprise.

I didn't hate it by any means. It was definitely enjoyable for me. My thing is, I really don't like Superman. He's basically freaking invincible, and yet there is always some kryptonite floating around somewhere. I also didn't mind Eisenberg as Lex. Sure, he's not Hackman and he didn't have Mrs. Teschmacher or Otis, but he wasn't bad. My kid and I were both a little letdown by Doomsday, but the battle was pretty cool. And I only ever notice the score if I hate it. Or if it's Oingo Boingo. Edited by ubkev

i hate you face

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.