Summer 2016 Movie/TV Show thread

qwksndmonster

I saw the new Independance Day last night. It was fun, but it was a typical blockbuster that didn't try anything new whatsoever. I know that big Summer movies aren't going to re-invent the nuclear bomb, but I'd like it if they set off a single solitary firework. Every action setpiece felt like something I'd seen again and again, over and over in other action films. My girlfriend absolutely loved it, though, so if you loved the first one, you'll probably love this one.

Some more specific issues that aren't necessarily spoilers, but they're not the type of thing I would want to go into a movie thinking about (nitpicking ahead):

I have stylistic qualms with how long they held shots. There were so many neat wides of the incomprehensibly massive alien ship flying down to Earth, but they always cut away before I got a chance to really sink my teeth into the scale. It felt like the filmmakers flet that they had to be overly flashy for all those shots (ie adding in unnecessary camera moves and whatnot). I think a more reserved, slower pace could've really helped a lot of the scenes in the 2nd act. I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture though, and that movie is wayyyyyyy too slow through the middle, so it's probably just a personal taste thing.

I feel like they never made the new human jets seem any different from the jets we have now, other than that they can leave orbit. This is obviously a huge deal, but for the majority of the movie the jets felt no different from the jets in the first Independance day.

And the pilots only did one thing that was cool the whole movie. Elsewise, they didn't seem especially talented.

Biggest problem for me: the guy playing Will Smith's son was no Will Smith, not even close.

In other cinematic news, I'm seeing Ben Hur in a theater tonight. I'm so freakin' hype to see the chariot race scene on the big screen. I just recently read the wikipedia article on the production of Ben Hur (which has a seperate page from the movie itself) and it is a miracle this movie was ever made.

For TV: I've been loving Brooklyn Nine-Nine lately. It's everything that the office is not when it comes to network shows.

Out on DVD now, 10 Cloverfield Lane was some fun eye candy, but not a very good or great film in any sense. A fast food movie. You want to see another movie an hour later. The ending was almost satirical. Even one of the lead characters said, "Oh come on," a funny, almost self-referential moment. I'm happy though. My hometown's iconic contribution to American culture, the Zippo, saved the cinematic day — again.

Out on DVD now, 10 Cloverfield Lane was some fun eye candy, but not a very good or great film in any sense. A fast food movie. You want to see another movie an hour later. The ending was almost satirical. Even one of the lead characters said, "Oh come on," a funny, almost self-referential moment. I'm happy though. My hometown's iconic contribution to American culture, the Zippo, saved the cinematic day — again.

Reminds me of Splice. What a bad movie. It's definitely enjoyable in satirable fashion. The climax (pun intended) had my wife and I looking at each other and laughing hysterically.

The Lobster is quite an amazing film. Such an interesting look on how most relationships are people trying to put band-aids on problems that are entirely within their own heads.

Interesting -- your takes on movies and TV are uniformly well-written, thoughtful and articulate -- and I disagree with almost all of them.

I had no use for the Lobster whatsoever.  I found it an annoying, pretentious arthouse movie, almost fell asleep multiple times (which I don't think has ever happened to me before at a movie) and couldn't wait for it to end.

Interesting -- your takes on movies and TV are uniformly well-written, thoughtful and articulate -- and I disagree with almost all of them.

I had no use for the Lobster whatsoever. I found it an annoying, pretentious arthouse movie, almost fell asleep multiple times (which I don't think has ever happened to me before at a movie) and couldn't wait for it to end.

The Lobster seems to be quite a polzarizing film. I've heard from people that loved the heck out of it (like myself) it and people that walked out of it (like you would have if you didn't go with your lady).

I loved the metaphorical examination of the societal pressures of being single and being in a relationship. It was mostly examining absolute extremes, though, so I can understand being turned off by that. Also, the acting was stylistically bad. I was really craving some normal human interactions afterwards. It was almost as much of an ordeal film as the Revenant.

And like all European arthouse films, I guess we gotta have some violent animal abuse.

Ben-Hur is such a disaster. Nobody wants to sit through a four hour movie. It's also amazing in some ways, but also a disaster. But also amazing.

Expected that when I learned it was being made. There are certain movies that do not need a remake. 

Hopes are high. Probably going to see the latest ID4 either today or tomorrow. Remember watching the first when I was 15. Still one of my fav movies. Fingers are crossed this is even remotely close to the original. 

I certainly cannot wait to see Swiss Army Man.

https://youtu.be/yrK1f4TsQfM

Seems like a creative fun run. The song featured in the trailer is by Manchester Orchestra but has vocals from the main characters in the film telling the story.

Really looking forward to Paul Dano as the lead in this. He has been awesome in several supporting roles (Prisoners, Looper, 12 Yeads a Slave) so I'm excited for this one. Has been said to be the new Phillip Seymour Hoffman, most likely due to the unique look and the odd/quirky roles he takes.

I certainly cannot wait to see Swiss Army Man.

Seems like a creative fun run. The song featured in the trailer is by Manchester Orchestra but has vocals from the main characters in the film telling the story.

Really looking forward to Paul Dano as the lead in this. He has been awesome in several supporting roles (Prisoners, Looper, 12 Yeads a Slave) so I'm excited for this one. Has been said to be the new Phillip Seymour Hoffman, most likely due to the unique look and the odd/quirky roles he takes.

Super excited for this, looks great. Really like Dano, too.

Have to give credit to Radcliffe, also. He's really grown as an actor, he could have easily taken his fortune from Harry Potter and ran, or proceeded to take the easiest, cardboard cutout roles. But instead he's expanding his acting chops and taking on all sorts of interesting roles, many of them smaller, "indie" films.

I have been impressed with where Radcliffe has gone, too. He went onto the Lady in Black role shortly after HP which is a huge step and a serious horror flick (it didn't blow anybody away but it has its fans). He's got this role now which will be intriguing.

I have been impressed with where Radcliffe has gone, too. He went onto the Lady in Black role shortly after HP which is a huge step and a serious horror flick (it didn't blow anybody away but it has its fans). He's got this role now which will be intriguing.

I saw him promoting the film too on a few talk shows, seemed really proud of what they accomplished.

Not in wide release, so I hope I don't have to wait too long for the movie to come to a local theatre.

Super excited for this, looks great. Really like Dano, too.

Have to give credit to Radcliffe, also. He's really grown as an actor, he could have easily taken his fortune from Harry Potter and ran, or proceeded to take the easiest, cardboard cutout roles. But instead he's expanding his acting chops and taking on all sorts of interesting roles, many of them smaller, "indie" films.

Rupert Grint in Into the White was a departure too, maybe it's Brits or kids today but there's hope all movies won't become serial-throwaways.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! Back in my seeing-every-movie-for-free-routine :)

Finding Dory- I think it's the best Pixar sequel ever.  I even liked it better than Finding Nemo.  Children's movies about mental health are such a Good Thing, and Finding Dory made me cry several times.  Beautiful movie.

Swiss Army Man- Very mediocre.  By its presentation, you'd think that this is a meaningful movie laden with metaphor but it's actually a straight forward movie about a guy with a super corpse friend. Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe were both fine, but there wasn't really anything in the script for them to lean into. I liked the first song that used the character's voices because it seemed like Paul Dano had a looping pedal going on in his head, and I love that as a representation of what a creative mind would/could do when faced with the loneliness and severity of being trapped on an island.  After the first time, though, the singing parts of the soundtrack were just boring and didn't add anything else to the movie.  The end was a disaster. And apparently they weren't expecting any women to go see this movie, or anybody that's not a 15 year old boy. Had I seen this movie from ages 14-17, I probably would've loved it.

Central Intelligence- Good movie with a terrible name.  Kevin Hart and the Rock have such a fun bromance.  Aaron Paul and Amy Ryan (Holly from The Office) are both really fun, too.  It has a similar tone to 21 Jump Street, but I like it a whole lot more.  Just a smart, fun, well put together movie.

The Conjuring 1 & 2- The Conjuring is a really beautifully atmospheric movie.  The camera work and pacing are enough to sell me.  The last 20-30 minutes are pretty lame, though.  It's one of those scary movies that are more about the tension than the actual scary stuff that happens.  The Conjuring 2, which is out right now, was much less beautiful and even lamer in the plot department.  I wouldn't recommend it.

The Shallows- A fun shark attack movie.  Like, it's played straight and has serious moments, but this movie is fun.  And the people who made it had fun.  There are several absurd things that happen that the movie owns completely.  None of this being embarrassed about what they're putting on the screen like GoT constantly is. What made the Shallows unique was all the underwater shots, specifically of the surf.  I love swimming in the ocean, and they did a fantastic job visually representing what it feels like, and why it's so damn fun. Blake Lively did a good job, but the movie showed A LOT of shots of her body/booty. It almost reached the point of being a little weird, but thankfully didn't quite make it.

And at home:

American Gangster- Denzel at his finest.  This is a fantastic film, but nothing really feels special or intense or present.  It's more of a profile of Frank Lucas's empire that doesn't follow normal plotting or dramatic constructs. Beautifully shot, beautifully acted.  I still don't totally know what to make of it.

Man on Fire- Another Denzel.  It was good but not great.  The sporadic way it's shot is neat, and illuminates the mind of Denzel's character in an interesting light, but outside of that the movie isn't anything too special or amazing.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Agree on Central Intelligence. Jump Street was better though, that movie is hilarious. I was just singing the "Andrew's French Fry Emporium" song today.

I found Conjuring 2 to be legitimatly creepy. The cinematography was outstanding, key for a movie like that in terms moving the camera in a way that ups the anxiety in the viewer. I very rarely like horror movie because they HAVE to creep me out to work, and this was one of only a handful of recent horror movies I've seen lately that legitimately gave me the collywobbles.

Shallows was decent. In my opinion it did eventually cross the "too ridiculous" line, but it was still fun.

Looking forward too seeing Swiss Army Man, not out here yet.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates was hilarious. Funniest movie so far this summer. Would recommend it if it's your type of humour, anyone could probably tell if it's up their alley by watching the trailer. Adam DeVine is gold.

Edited by Thorny

Watched the debut of "The Night Of" on HBO Sunday night.

I was hooked and can't wait for episode 2.

Also have Bron/Broen Season 1 ready to roll and will be watching soon.

I greatly enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane up until it jumped the shark toward the end.  Surprisingly good movie.

Just finished watching "Die Brücke" (The Bridge) and really enjoyed that too. 

Also just found out "The Mighty Eighth" is supposed to air, finally, next year on HBO.  This is going to be their 3rd "Band of Brothers" type miniseries focusing on the air war over Europe in WWII.  Can't wait for that one. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.