Who Has Higher Potential? Fasching, Bailey or Foligino?

bob_sauve28

I was really impressed with Bailey when he was here and followed him a bit in juniors. He seems to just be getting better and better and look forward to him this year playing and contributing. Foligino is also getting better but not really sure how much more upside there is to his game. Hopefully a lot. Hudson might be the best but he needs time in the minors to improve. Just thought I'd throw this out for a discussion

It's an interesting question, to be sure.  All 3 are GMTM's kinda guys.  OTOH, I can see him bloodlessly including any of them in the next big trade he puts together. 

As for highest potential, I'd guess Bailey based on production in juniors and AHL, plus what I thought was pretty good speed and strength shown in his limited NHL minutes last year, but that's just a guess.

Bailey is the most skilled of the three, the only one who could ever score 30 goals in the NHL. But if he can't find the net in the NHL, he won't be an NHLer.

Foligno is the only one who is an NHLer (the others aren't ready yet, but he belongs). People talk about his inconsistencies and that's a fair description of his career, but I think he arrived at what he is in the final 40 games: a good rugged third-liner.

Fasching isn't as mean as Foligno or as skilled as Bailey, but he is a big boy with enough grit to play in the bottom six and he might be skilled enough to eventually keep up with skill guys too.

I quite like each. If they reach their projection, they will bring an interesting bull edge to our middle six

Edited by dudacek

Bailey is the most skilled of the three, the only one who could ever score 30 goals in the NHL. But if he can't find the net in the NHL, he won't be an NHLer.

Foligno is the only one who is an NHLer (the others aren't ready yet, but he belongs). People talk about his inconsistencies and that's a fair description of his career, but I think he arrived at what he is in the final 40 games: a good rugged third-liner.

Fasching isn't as mean as Foligno or as skilled as Bailey, but he is a big boy with enough grit to play in the bottom six and he might be skilled enough to eventually keep up with skill guys too.

I quite like each. If they reach their projection, they will bring an interesting bull edge to our middle six

I agree with this analysis.  

Foligno has plateaued.   What we saw the last 30-40 games is the best he will ever be.    I don't see a spot for him on this roster when they're contenders.

Fasching is a better NHL prospect than Bailey.    Bailey is still very raw, can he get there?   Time will tell.  

I know Hockeys Future is gone, but I always liked their prospect rating (which was the first one of its kind that I paid attention to).

So, Bailey's numerical value is the highest of this group (a solid 7, I'd think (7.5?)), but he'd probably be in that "C" category of possibility that he does not pan out.

Fasching, OTOH, might be more of a 6 or 6.5, but I think he'd be a "B" in term of how he projects.

Foligno is pretty much slotted as a "6, A," I think. So, a third-liner. Question being: How good of a third liner can he be? One of the best in the league? Maybe. In that event, he'd nudge up to 6.5. I'm sure that sort of movement happens after a player's prospect phase is over. But not too often.

I'd say Fasching has the most potential given his shooting skills and ability to use his size down low.  He could be an Andreychuk type of player. I'm most excited about his potential.  The times I've seen Bailey play for Rochester he showed speed but didn't always give the effort he's capable of.  He reminded me of Evander Kane when Kane started playing in Buffalo before he committed to playing hard every shift near the end of the season.  Foligno has occasional great games, but again his inconsistency makes him no better than a 3rd-4th liner.

Interesting question and debate. I don't think you can properly answer though as the body of work is too small. But I can say that I see Foligno as the one most likely to be dealt by GMTM. Should Zemgus also fit in this discussion?

I mean I have an autographed Zemgus jersey and a Foligno jersey  :(

Interesting question and debate. I don't think you can properly answer though as the body of work is too small. But I can say that I see Foligno as the one most likely to be dealt by GMTM. Should Zemgus also fit in this discussion?

I mean I have an autographed Zemgus jersey and a Foligno jersey  :(

Yes, Zemgus is right there in that crowded field that will probably get more crowded. Managing the development of all this young talent will be so important to how fast or how far we rise.

Great question. Now I'll read the replies.

If they reach their projection, they will bring an interesting bull edge to our middle six

I like that phrase: bull edge.

Yes, Zemgus is right there in that crowded field that will probably get more crowded. Managing the development of all this young talent will be so important to how fast or how far we rise.

Indeed.

Highest potential goes to Bailey at this stage. Fasching I like but I see him sliding into a middle 6 role (2nd line 3rd line) where as Bailey I could see playing a top 6 role. They are somewhat close. Foligno is 3rd pairing now and forever. He hasn't show scoring consistency enough to push him higher. Granted on any of these guys 1 great season of progression could change all of this but for now Bailey with his offense and size has the highest potential. 

Bailey lacks NHL hands, Fasching NHL quickness.  Quickness will come with experience hands are much more difficult to develop.  Maybe ROR can get him on the ping pong ball thing he does. That is all about hands.

Don't disagree with Bailey's hands assessment. If he can't improve that piece substantially, he may not even stick in the NHL.

I think he makes improvement. Hoping he becomes a reliable 15g guy.

Eh, even if his hands never get any better I still think he can wreak havoc from the 4th line with his speed and size combo.

I am rooting for him.  He is a physical specimen and by all accounts a great kid.  I hope someone other than Moulson takes him under their wing and shows him a path.  I love his skating speed and all around motor.

Eh, even if his hands never get any better I still think he can wreak havoc from the 4th line with his speed and size combo.

If that were true Foligno wouldn't have been in the thread title.

I am rooting for him. He is a physical specimen and by all accounts a great kid. I hope someone other than Moulson takes him under their wing and shows him a path. I love his skating speed and all around motor.

If that were true Foligno wouldn't have been in the thread title.

I would argue he shouldn't have been. Anyway, Bailey brings a lot more speed to the table than Foligno.

Bailey's hands can't be much worse than Carl Hagelin's, can they?

Yes they can. Too many passes bounce off of Bailey's stick. He has a tough time getting shots off if he isn't square to the target, he loses possession easily. He can improve but Hagelin has NHL hands. He catches pucks at speed, and can do something with them in tight spaces. Hagelin can pass with touch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.