Ryan O'Reilly nominated for Masterton Trophy

spndnchz

This is the Buffalo writers nominations. Foligno is second pick and Lehner third.

I get why. He's a de-facto captain, stays late, always plays at 100%. But is it right to nominate a guy who ran his truck into a Tim Hortons drunk for an award given to those that have overcome catatstrophic injuries and such?

This is the Buffalo writers nominations. Foligno is second pick and Lehner third.

I get why. He's a de-facto captain, stays late, always plays at 100%. But is it right to nominate a guy who ran his truck into a Tim Hortons drunk for an award given to those that have overcome catatstrophic injuries and such?

yes

Agree with the question chz. Scary huh? If you have to go lie down, go ahead. I am still trying to process it, mainly because I can never remember the NHL's wording on these trophies. The Masterton and the Lady Byng are very similar. Masterton for perserverance, sportsmanship and dedication, Lady Byng for sportsmanship, gentlemanly play and a high standard of playing ability.

ROR has won the Lady Byng. The Masterton often (usually?) goes to a player who has overcome illness or injury to continue his career. Think Kessel or Bryan Berard. But "perseverance" can have another meaning that more closely aligns with what ROR is about.

Tough call.

Did the Buffalo writers really deserve this (true) troll job from that chronic basher of all Buffalo things Wysh?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-o-reilly-masterton-trophy-nomination-earns-widespread-mockery-160004745.html

It really is a joke of a nomination in my opinion.  The first thing I thought of when I heard he was nominated was the DUI.  Perhaps his ability to overcome a craving for donuts made him a worthwhile nominee?

But the media is the media and at least they are showing they are consistently clueless as we have projected.

Lehner as well?  He's overcome the concussion to succumb to the high ankle sprains?  Ooooookay.

Pretty sure I would have nominated Chad Johnson.  Even Gorges would have been a better choice given his return from knee surgery.  

Oh well... 

I feel like Lehner or Johnson are a better fit for that trophy. I personally don't care about his summer transgression I just don't think he's overcome all that much adversity this season and I think of that when I think of this award.

Edited by LGR4GM

I feel like Lehner or Johnson are a better fit for that trophy. I personally don't care about his summer transgression I just don't think he's overcome all that much adversity this season and I think of that when I think of this award.

I'd like to see the NHL tighten up the wording on the description of this trophy. It has become exactly what you think of it as. Why not differentiate it more from the Lady Byng?

(I'd also like to see the NHL rewrite its rule book, but that ain't happening, either.)

ROR is among the most sportsmanlike players in the league.

I can't recall anyone in the history of the Sabres more dedicated to hockey.

Perseverance is a little more interesting. He certainly hasn't let any distractions get in tha way of his performance.

What he may or may not have done at TimHorton's doesn't cancel any of the above out.

I missed the part where only saints need qualify.

Wyshynski is a judgmental prick.

Perseverance is a little more interesting. He certainly hasn't let any distractions get in tha way of his performance.

What he may or may not have done at TimHorton's doesn't cancel any of the above out.

Well said. Nobody has to like what happened in the offseason, or pretend it didn't happen, but it really has nothing to do with the criteria for this award.

From the Article: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-o-reilly-masterton-trophy-nomination-earns-widespread-mockery-160004745.html

"..... Ryan O’Reilly is the Buffalo Sabres nominee for the Masterton Trophy, given annually 'to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.'"

Does knuckle-head stuff in the off season prevent one from being considered for in season awards? Now THAT kind of thinking seems like it should "earn widespread mockery."

I honestly don't think I'd like O'Reilly as much as I do if he hadn't crashed into Tim Horton's.

He's such a serious dude, and it's fun to consider that there's a normal Canadian kid behind his professionalism.

Is that really normal behavior among Canadian young people? And 24 isn't really a kid.

Is that really normal behavior among Canadian young people? And 24 isn't really a kid.

It's not normal, but it's not rare either.

O'Reilly may get behind the wheel after binge drinking episodes on a weekly basis.

Or he may have made a bad decision thinking he was the sober one, after the boys wanted to make a snack run, one time after a party wound down. It was 4 in the morning in small town Ontario. Yes, context matters to me.

Judge a man by his life, not his most public mistake.

One could argue that O'Reilly's perseverance was stumbling in the early offseason, then embracing his new role on a new team that had substantially invested in him, and him quickly and diligently maturing to properly exceed expectations in that role.  Assuming he's not still a up and that was a one-time ordeal he has/had to overcome, it's not far from a decent redemption story.

I don't know if I buy this romance, but O'Reilly's been playing well and stories are that he's become a leader, which is an indication that he's not planning on going to the drive thru at Ted's Hotdogs.

I don't know what life you've lived but I was every bit the know it all, invincible, self absorbed prick at 24 that I was at 14. I could just get into way more trouble.

Some in the Buffalo sports media are acting as though they know something that we don't.

Like?

I don't know what life you've lived but I was every bit the know it all, invincible, self absorbed prick at 24 that I was at 14. I could just get into way more trouble.

It's a stereotype, just like the stereotypes the millennials on this board hate so much. Here's one: go tell a college kid you know that their life is partying, getting drunk and not working hard. Then duck.

I'd like to see the NHL tighten up the wording on the description of this trophy. It has become exactly what you think of it as. Why not differentiate it more from the Lady Byng?

(I'd also like to see the NHL rewrite its rule book, but that ain't happening, either.)

Yes they seem kinda vague on what some of these awards are for.

Like?

I don't know exactly, or if there is anything else to the story at all. They're just acting even more shifty than usual.

Well said. Nobody has to like what happened in the offseason, or pretend it didn't happen, but it really has nothing to do with the criteria for this award.

If the NHL had a personal conduct policy that treated DUI seriously enough then he would have been suspended.  If he was suspended I think that negates the whole "dedication to the game of ice hockey".  Look, I like ROR and I think he made a mistake.  People make mistakes.  Point is, dedication to the game of hockey means you should not be making those poor decisions.

There are better candidates on the Sabres this season for nomination over ROR.  .

Let him persevere a little longer.

If the NHL had a personal conduct policy that treated DUI seriously enough then he would have been suspended. If he was suspended I think that negates the whole "dedication to the game of ice hockey". Look, I like ROR and I think he made a mistake. People make mistakes. Point is, dedication to the game of hockey means you should not be making those poor decisions.

There are better candidates on the Sabres this season for nomination over ROR. .

Let him persevere a little longer.

But the NHL doesn't have such a policy, nor was he suspended. The incident has had a total of zero impact on his ability to fulfill his obligations to the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.