Rob Ray's Beyond Blue & Gold

PASabreFan

I'm happy that Rob has a good life, a nice house, a wife and beautiful kids. He once said he never lost a tooth in hockey — I am also glad he apparently didn't lose his mind either, or too much of it, anyway. (He seems OK, but who really knows.)

I've said it before. I find it very sad when the enforcer-types talk about how they started down that path in the game. In this BB&G, Rob relates how Amerks coach John Van Boxmeer told him he could have a career in the NHL, but he'd have to be a fighter. Rob jumped at the chance, even though he had never been that type of player, despite a modest record of fighting in juniors. His first game? Rob scored a goal on his first shift, and had an assist. It was all downhill from there.

The damage he probably did to himself and to others... was it worth it? It's all in the past, I guess. I just naively hope young players never have to face that choice again.

What kind of player do you think Rob dreamed of being when he was a kid?

What kind of player do you think Rob dreamed of being when he was a kid?

I saw his Mom interviewed at the Aud/Arena once during the peak of his pugilistic heyday (when he was still without the tie-downs). She talked about what a goal scorer he had once been in his teens. My guess: Darryl Sittler. Or maybe Bob Gainey. I believe Gainey was from the same region of Ontario where Rob grew up.

I also hope young players never have to make that choice again.  I doubt my hope will come to fruition, but I think it is clear that the number of kids being told that their path to the NHL involves using their fists is getting lower and lower.

It breaks my heart a little every time I hear about these guys suffering from depression and the aftereffects of all those punches.  Yeah, they are paid alot of money to do it, and they do it willingly, but I am fortunate that there are workplace rules preventing me from making stupid, willing, decisions that will affect my health down the road.

Edit: To clarify, I'm perfectly fine with the tough, talented kid who happens to include fighting in his game being told that his path to the NHL requires he continue to play that game.  I'm referring to the kids who aren't talented enough being told to use fighting as a path to the pros.

Edited by We've

I find Ray to be the most insightful guy on the Sabres broadcasting team since Robitaille and Blessing were together. When he's down there on the ice, he has a feel for what's going on that I see very few on TV have. Despite no longer playing hockey, he can tap into the flow of the game like he's still playing. 

He does however seem to have a minor screw loose, but other than that is very lucid. That whole "they're edging, about to explode" line last night was inappropriate for television and I'm pretty sure I know where he got it from. I mean I don't care that he said it, but a guy on TV should have the filter and sharpness to know that he should probably find something else to say. Those are the kind of things I mean when I think he has a small screw loose. You take the good with the bad I guess.

He does however seem to have a minor screw loose, but other than that is very lucid. That whole "they're edging, about to explode" line last night was inappropriate for television and I'm pretty sure I know where he got it from. I mean I don't care that he said it, but a guy on TV should have the filter and sharpness to know that he should probably find something else to say. Those are the kind of things I mean when I think he has a small screw loose. You take the good with the bad I guess.

Maybe I'm missing something? I don't get what's inappropriate about that statement.

That whole "they're edging, about to explode" line last night was inappropriate for television and I'm pretty sure I know where he got it from. I mean I don't care that he said it, but a guy on TV should have the filter and sharpness to know that he should probably find something else to say. 

Didn't watch it yet.  Did he say "edging" or "edgy?"  And if he did say "edging," did he mean "edgy?"  He jumbles a bit sometimes.

Didn't watch it yet.  Did he say "edging" or "edgy?"  And if he did say "edging," did he mean "edgy?"  He jumbles a bit sometimes.

On the slang: never heard of it; somehow I doubt Rob Ray is trolling Urban Dictionary for things to say on the air.

This seems a lot like getting mad at my kid's talking dog toy that says something about a "Rainbow Party". I'm choosing to assume that it's just a coincidence. Even if the developer (or in this case, Rob Ray) knew what he was saying, only a few people are going to take O-fence and even that can be waved off as being reasonable within the context. If I'm talking about washing machines and mention "top loader", you can bet that I didn't mean the urban dictionary definition.

Now if Rob Ray keeps slipping these slangy things into the broadcast I reserve the right to change my mind, just like watching the video of Krieder run into goalies; I started out thinking "nah, he was pushed" to "yeah, this is happening enough that it's not a coincidence".

Edited by MattPie

It's amazing Rob Ray can even form sentences albeit not very well. IMO his slip ups and made up words are all part of the reality of life after being an enforcer in the NHL. I like RayZor and I hope he has a long and happy life, it would be unfortunate if his lapses and mental fatigue get worse in the coming years like some of the former NHL and NFL guys are going through.

He needs to go to the dentist more often, what ever he was on afterward made him sound very good on WGR. Maybe he's nervous and the laughing gas made him not feel those nerves?

Glad to see his life seems good, he comes off as a teddy bear deep down. Maybe his son will be a skilled NHLER like Domi's kid

huh?  he racked up almost 600 minutes in penalties over 88 games in juniors.... moderate?  that's over 6min/gm.     446 pims in 74 games his first year in the pro's.      

You're cherrypicking a little. That was his first two years in junior. His last two years those PIM were just about cut in half -- and his offensive production zoomed to 89 points in 107 games.

huh?  he racked up almost 600 minutes in penalties over 88 games in juniors.... moderate?  that's over 6min/gm.     446 pims in 74 games his first year in the pro's.      

You're cherrypicking a little. That was his first two years in junior. His last two years those PIM were just about cut in half -- and his offensive production zoomed to 89 points in 107 games.

Also, his Mom may have been referring to his days in the bantam leagues.

He racked up 446 PIMS in his first year with Rochester - so I don't think this was the case of a reluctant switch from hockey player to goon.  Given the era and the lack of concern for head trauma, I think this was sadly the same concept as going from a scorer to a lock down defensive forward. 

Outside of that, I do appreciate the effort and work he's put in to his second career.  The improvement he's shown from year 1 is massive. 

He racked up 446 PIMS in his first year with Rochester - so I don't think this was the case of a reluctant switch from hockey player to goon.  Given the era and the lack of concern for head trauma, I think this was sadly the same concept as going from a scorer to a lock down defensive forward. 

Outside of that, I do appreciate the effort and work he's put in to his second career.  The improvement he's shown from year 1 is massive. 

I guess we'd have to know when that conversation with Boxy took place. For Rob to say he had never been that kind of player suggests it took place before his first season in Roch, because, as you point out, having 446 PIMs does sort of make him that "kind of player."

Edited by PASabreFan

I guess we'd have to know when that conversation with Boxy took place. For Rob to say he had never been that kind of player suggests it took place before his first season in Roch, because, as you point out, having 446 PIMs does sort of make him that "kind of player."

I'd hope it was training camp.....haha.  A midseason switch to fighting resulting in PIM's that high would be nuts.  Given his numbers in junior you'd have to assume that to be the case.  Think back to that era, if you belonged in the NHL you should be able to roll out of bed and be at least a PPG in junior.  He wasn't even that. 

I find Ray to be the most insightful guy on the Sabres broadcasting team since Robitaille and Blessing were together. When he's down there on the ice, he has a feel for what's going on that I see very few on TV have. Despite no longer playing hockey, he can tap into the flow of the game like he's still playing.

There is a zero percent chance that Ray knows what edging is and even less of a chance he would use it on air. I'm a little taken back that someone would think that's what a 50 year old Canadian broadcaster would say on TV.

What the heck definition of edging are you using?

There is a zero percent chance that Ray knows what edging is and even less of a chance he would use it on air. I'm a little taken back that someone would think that's what a 50 year old Canadian broadcaster would say on TV.

Yeah, Rob Ray is just an innocent 50 year old Canadian broadcaster. 

I think it was a Freudian slip. And with all the word jumbling, strange hot dog incidents, etc. I think he has a screw loose. Still love the guy though. 

Yeah, Rob Ray is just an innocent 50 year old Canadian broadcaster. 

I think it was a Freudian slip. And with all the word jumbling, strange hot dog incidents, etc. I think he has a screw loose. Still love the guy though. 

He's far from innocent. It's just that his off-colour jargon would trace back to the 80s and 90s.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.