Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

There seem to be two different discussions happening at the same time and the streams are getting crossed.

The NFL's marijuana policy is stupid and archaic.

and

Marcell Dareus is a dummy who shouldn't be smoking weed.

The two aren't exclusive thoughts.  I'm pretty sure most in this thread have agreed to both of those things.

@Wjag: Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than marijuana. I think the NFL's rules on marijuana are causing bad press, not marijuana in and of itself.

Last I will say on this matter. Alcohol is not illegal.  Football is not illegal.  Marijuana is in many places in this country right now.  When this country legalizes marijuana across the board, then the NFL can bargain or not away the penalties.  That remains their right.  

Appreciate the discussion.  Hopefully I didn't cross too many lines today..

Or they can do so right now.  That remains the NFL's right, too.

But most people (including me and many others here who have criticized Dareus) don't think the act of smoking dope is immoral -- our issue is with the fact that he knew he'd be hurting his team if he smoked dope and did it anyway.  That's why Dareus wasn't innocent.  If the suspension risk is gone, the problem is gone.  That's why I was questioning (perhaps inarticulately) qwk's post.

This is valid.

There seem to be two different discussions happening at the same time and the streams are getting crossed.

The NFL's marijuana policy is stupid and archaic.

and

Marcell Dareus is a dummy who shouldn't be smoking weed.

The two aren't exclusive thoughts.  I'm pretty sure most in this thread have agreed to both of those things.

@Wjag: Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than marijuana. I think the NFL's rules on marijuana are causing bad press, not marijuana in and of itself.

I've never had a job that required a drug test.  I can't imagine why one ever would be necessary, unless operating heavy machinery is involved.

I applied for one, once (the Navy), and I was very honest with the recruiter. (I was a lot younger then.)  And he was equally honest with me.

I've never had a job that required a drug test. I can't imagine why one ever would be necessary, unless operating heavy machinery is involved.

Most places in my industry require a drug test at hiring. My current employer does not. Every single employee that has ever been caught stealing has claimed addiction as the reason. If you play it right, they let you keep your job after rehab. 0 of them have passed their return to work drug test.

Worthless anecdote. Was going to delete it, but I'm bored.

I've never had a job that required a drug test.  I can't imagine why one ever would be necessary, unless operating heavy machinery is involved.

Me neither, but according to this article, something like 40% of employers use them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/drug-testing-effectiveness/394850/

The article also posits (citing a UB professor as authority!) that the role of drug-testing among private employers is a misguided byproduct of the Reagan-era "Just Say No" movement.

Me neither, but according to this article, something like 40% of employers use them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/drug-testing-effectiveness/394850/

The article also posits (citing a UB professor as authority!) that the role of drug-testing among private employers is a misguided byproduct of the Reagan-era "Just Say No" movement.

Fair point, but so is this:

Most places in my industry require a drug test at hiring. My current employer does not. Every single employee that has ever been caught stealing has claimed addiction as the reason. If you play it right, they let you keep your job after rehab. 0 of them have passed their return to work drug test.

Worthless anecdote. Was going to delete it, but I'm bored.

I never really thought about it that way.  Next time I see Susan from A/R take a box of red pens...

On the NFL and bonuses, I'm not sure teams would want to backload them. Bonuses being averaged out over the cap years while also being attractive to players is critical to helping teams manage the cap. They'd have to alter cap accounting to be like the NHL where every year is the same cap hit regardless of actual cash payouts.

Fair point, but so is this:

I never really thought about it that way.  Next time I see Susan from A/R take a box of red pens...

I'm not so sure that's a valid reason to persist with drug-testing. I've been involved in addressing ~10 embezzlement matters over the years. Two of them involved perps who claimed that they had been spurred on by an addiction to drugs (although one of those claims was, to me, dubious). One of them claimed that a family illness put them under financial strain. Two were compulsive gamblers. Most (5?) of them had no good reason to do what they did - they just wanted a nicer car, a better vacation, etc.

I'm not so sure that's a valid reason to persist with drug-testing. I've been involved in addressing ~10 embezzlement matters over the years. Two of them involved perps who claimed that they had been spurred on by an addiction to drugs (although one of those claims was, to me, dubious). One of them claimed that a family illness put them under financial strain. Two were compulsive gamblers. Most (5?) of them had no good reason to do what they did - they just wanted a nicer car, a better vacation, etc.

In my experience, I definitely believe they were all addicts. But to be fair, addicted to opiates does not equal smoking pot.

When does NFL release statements about additional fines or suspensions?  Will Landry see one for the vicious hit on A-Williams?

I hope so.  That was a really dirty and dangerous hit.  If that isn't a suspendable hit, I don't know what is.

On the NFL and bonuses, I'm not sure teams would want to backload them. Bonuses being averaged out over the cap years while also being attractive to players is critical to helping teams manage the cap. They'd have to alter cap accounting to be like the NHL where every year is the same cap hit regardless of actual cash payouts.

Well, presumably, if this were to become a negotiated CBA point, the cap accounting would be part of that negotiation and the NFL would come up with an accounting treatment that they liked.

Yeah but opiates make money ;) :(

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/12/colorado-pot-record-sales-122-million-july-2016/

Expand this to 50 States and it eventually it should surpass opiate revenue.

The barriers are getting medical providers to prescribe it and changing the beliefs of patients that this would be better for long term pain control than their current regimen.

This comes from someone who has never tried THC, but is sick of admitting opiate overdoses to the hospital.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/12/colorado-pot-record-sales-122-million-july-2016/

Expand this to 50 States and it eventually it should surpass opiate revenue.

The barriers are getting medical providers to prescribe it and changing the beliefs of patients that this would be better for long term pain control than their current regimen.

This comes from someone who has never tried THC, but is sick of admitting opiate overdoses to the hospital.

It will, but those are different people getting that money. Big pharma isn't just going to roll over, or change their entire product line

Bears mentioning: Matt Stafford is having an MVP caliber year. Deadspin has a write-up:

http://deadspin.com/faster-is-better-for-the-suddenly-excellent-matt-staffo-1788197165

There was talk about Stafford hereabouts, during the offseason, I think. I can't recall where I fell on that discussion. But I remember that there were some here who said Stafford was hot garbage masquerading as atop-end quarterback in need of a change of scenery. And there were others who said Stafford was/is a terrific QB talent, and that if the Bills could acquire him they should do so without question.

And there were many - me included - who chuckled at the notion that a 31 year-old named Jim Bob Cooter was going to resuscitate Stafford's career. Well - so far, so good.

Edited by That Aud Smell

It will, but those are different people getting that money. Big pharma isn't just going to roll over, or change their entire product line

Big Pharma will figure out a way to get involved and make Billions. They always do. They will corner the market on oral or sublingual forms by purchasing medical marijuana processing facilities to control supply.

My personal favorite is the trial of a new anti anginal heart medication UK 92480, the results were meh in controlling chest pain, but it caused male patients to rise to the occasion in other ways. They turned a failure into a multi billion dollar medication. They always find a way to make money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.