Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

I just don't agree with the "saying they should have won means you think the game is a gimme" concept.

giphy.gif

Also: so did you by insisting they wouldn't go 9-7 even before the games were played.

I never said there was no way in heck the Bills wouldn't take at least 9. Point I was driving was the difficulty of schedule. Take that + injuries = a 9-7 record very unlikely. Simple to understand.

Well, how about this, then: Miami is 3-4, the Bills are 4-3, Miami has a better win (Pittsburgh) than the Bills do and Miami beat the Bills convincingly. With that factual background, I don't see how you can say the the Bills should've beaten Miami.

Its not about should have won for me, Its about how the NFL is made up.    You almost have to beat two teams in your division 4-0 if you want playoffs.

BTW:  If I'm reading this:  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/correctly, the Bills have paid Dareus a cool $32MM in bonuses -- and I don't think he lost a dime of that for his suspension.

It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see the next CBA provide for all bonuses to be escrowed and paid at the end of a contract (or when a team cuts or trades a player), with proportional reductions, plus penalties, for suspensions, showing up out of shape, etc.

That proposal is unrealistic and unfair. Teams have the upper hand in most negotiations and finalized contracts. Why players would give more up is beyond me.

I think you could have a situation where a player who gets suspended and received bonus money during that time forfeits a prorated part of their future salary or bonuses in exchange for a lessened drug suspension system.

I believe the league should completely do away with marijuana suspensions. Treat it like alcohol. DUI is still a suspension but just a positive test should mean nothing.

That proposal is unrealistic and unfair. Teams have the upper hand in most negotiations and finalized contracts. Why players would give more up is beyond me.

I think you could have a situation where a player who gets suspended and received bonus money during that time forfeits a prorated part of their future salary or bonuses in exchange for a lessened drug suspension system.

I believe the league should completely do away with marijuana suspensions. Treat it like alcohol. DUI is still a suspension but just a positive test should mean nothing.

Well, I agree that it's unrealistic, but not that it's unfair.  As it currently stands, the Bills are completely hosed regarding that $32MM -- and it will be even worse the next time Dareus gets caught (I think the next drug suspension is a full season).  How is that fair?

As for forfeiting part of future salary/bonus -- that would work economically but I think in practice it would result in the player in question having a pretty poor attitude at work, which the teams would like to avoid.

I wouldn't be surprised if pot suspensions and bonus givebacks were both part of the next CBA negotiation.

This kind of thinking frustrates me. Hypothetically speaking from here on out; I and you mean employer and employee.   If I as an employer set the conditions of your employment to be (a), (b) and © and in exchange for you meeting (a), (b) and ©, I agree to pay you a tidy sum of money.  If you don't like my (a), (b) and © conditions, don't sign the contract.  I am investing in an athletes body and his skill which I personally think are diminished when you engage in activities that put you in compromising positions, impair your judgement, make you slug your girlfriend, crash your car late at night, accidentally shoot yourself, etc  My investment in you is enormous and I want to maintain my investment in top working condition.  That is my right and if you don't like those terms, sign with some else that supports  your chosen lifestyle.   Some of today's athletes behave like spoiled brats.  

It is not up to us to impose our personal beliefs on the do's and don'ts of someone else's business model.  There is nothing wrong with the NFL mandating that their employees remain drug free.  Drugs and alcohol put their employees in bad and compromising positions.

Regardless about how you personally feel about drugs, alcohol, sky diving, riding motorcycles, or smoking, if it is a term of your employment, you sign a contract acknowledging such, and you are well compensated as a result, don't do the things you shouldn't.  Period.  Why is this so bleeping hard for this generation to comprehend and follow?

Dareus' selfish behavior manifested by his insistence on violating the terms of his contract, multiple times now, cost the Bills a win or two in this season already.  That behavior also has impacted his teammates, his coaches, his owners, his league and the fans of the game.  I personally wish they would not pay him for that behavior.  It apparently only has the lasting effect of giving him a paid vacation.

Our generation, huh? Garbage.

Hoss is saying that Marijuana shouldn't result in a suspension. He's not saying that Dareus is innocent.

Man, the lack of reading comprehension from boomers is so bleeping embarassing.

And I am saying it is a term of the contract he signed.  It is not allowed. And embarrassing is spelled this way.  And yes, I did say this generation.  And I stick to that.   :P

Edited by wjag

This team has 9-7 to 10-6 talent when healthy.

Problem is this team will never be healthy. McCoy is getting older and he is obviously injury prone.

Bigboy Marcel doesnt stay in shape and is an addict just waiting to get suspended.Watson is a china tea cup.-

If he is getting injured all the time at this young age what about the future years?

I've just mentioned most of out 'star' players...And we cut our other potential star--that RB who came into camp

out of shape .

While some of this may be bad luck..some of this has to be poor drafting.Character issues are important.

So Whaley's inability to see the complete package negates some of his good ability to identify talent.

Rex has proven to be an average and completely inconsistent coach who took a good(not great) defense and

made it mediocre.

This team is salvagable as long as they get rid of Rex and get an experienced GM in to oversee Whaley and hire a proven winning coach.

And I am saying it is a term of the contract he signed. It is not allowed. And embarrassing is spelled this way. And yes, I did say this generation. And I stick to that.

Well, Hoss isn't saying that Dareus didn't do anything wrong. He wants the rule changed. So do I, and I'm still pissed at Dareus.

Qwk was saying that you addressed Hoss's point as if he absolved Dareus of his responsibilities, when his point is one that addresses future transgressions.

Well, Hoss isn't saying that Dareus didn't do anything wrong. He wants the rule changed. So do I, and I'm still pissed at Dareus.

Qwk was saying that you addressed Hoss's point as if he absolved Dareus of his responsibilities, when his point is one that addresses future transgressions.

I get that and I am saying the rule should not be changed,  Drugs, even the 'harmless' ones, put athletes in compromising positions or actions.  I as the NFL see the results all the time and I have decided that it is damaging the brand.  So it is a no fly zone.  My take on Hoss' take was marijuana is harmless.  I am not sure the NFL sees it that way, otherwise they would not legislate/bargain against it.

Edited by wjag

Flagg and qwk nailed what I was saying. I'm upset at Dareus. And the team deserves some responsibility for lack of control. But I think it's time to let go of those conditions restrictive of marijuana. The NHL doesn't care about it one bit. I don't think the NBA does either.

I get that and I am saying the rule should not be changed, Drugs, even the 'harmless' ones, put athletes in compromising positions or actions. I as the NFL see the results all the time and I have decided that it is damaging the brand. So it is a no fly zone. My take on Hoss' take was marijuana is harmless. I am not sure the NFL sees it that way, otherwise they would not legislate/bargain against it.

Better to beat your wife than get high in their eyes

I get that and I am saying the rule should not be changed, Drugs, even the 'harmless' ones, put athletes in compromising positions or actions. I as the NFL see the results all the time and I have decided that it is damaging the brand. So it is a no fly zone. My take on Hoss' take was marijuana is harmless. I am not sure the NFL sees it that way, otherwise they would not legislate/bargain against it.

So does alcohol. So does playing football. So does just about any other action outside of a bubble.

Flagg and qwk nailed what I was saying. I'm upset at Dareus. And the team deserves some responsibility for lack of control. But I think it's time to let go of those conditions restrictive of marijuana. The NHL doesn't care about it one bit. I don't think the NBA does either.

I'm not a fan of the sport all that much,but the NBA as a league consistently gets it right

Our generation, huh? Garbage.

Hoss is saying that Marijuana shouldn't result in a suspension. He's not saying that Dareus is innocent.

Man, the lack of reading comprehension from boomers is so bleeping embarassing.

But if there's no punishment, does it matter whether or not he's innocent?

So does alcohol. So does playing football. So does just about any other action outside of a bubble.

Last I will say on this matter. Alcohol is not illegal.  Football is not illegal.  Marijuana is in many places in this country right now.  When this country legalizes marijuana across the board, then the NFL can bargain or not away the penalties.  That remains their right.  

Appreciate the discussion.  Hopefully I didn't cross too many lines today..

I am in my 30's and I with wjag.... I've had my fair share of partaking in medical school, however if I pop on a random drug test now, I'm in serious dookie....

These guys know the rules, it's not like it snuck up on them.... And it's blatant disregard of those rules....more than once now.... Making MILLIONS of dollars to behave for 5-10 years..... Smh

If the league can say it's not going to wait on the legal system in cases such as domestic violence they don't have to wait on the legal system to change their rules on marijuana. Other leagues don't have a problem with it.

Also, I'm not arguing against them suspending guys when they get arrested for marijuana. They pointlessly test for it. If the law cared they would be catching these players, too. They're giving themselves a black eye by searching out players who smoke.

Also, this quote from Eric Wood is quite the opposite of what the team was saying after they started 0-2:

Wood- "It feels like the sky is falling from what we're feeling, and in the media, but we have to regroup quick, NE is coming in this week."

Well, yes. Laws or rules don't define morality

But most people (including me and many others here who have criticized Dareus) don't think the act of smoking dope is immoral -- our issue is with the fact that he knew he'd be hurting his team if he smoked dope and did it anyway.  That's why Dareus wasn't innocent.  If the suspension risk is gone, the problem is gone.  That's why I was questioning (perhaps inarticulately) qwk's post.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.