Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

So, Mario Williams played a whopping 13 snaps for the Dolphins last game. Guess it wasn't all Rex's fault. I demand mea culpas!

As the resident Rex apologist, I'm ramping up towards maximum Rex snark. If we make the playoffs, I will be unbearable :P

You earned it,

Bills getting Shaq back this week.  No update on Mr Big Stuff yet. 

Shaq attack..  Patrolling for Dolphins

So, Mario Williams played a whopping 13 snaps for the Dolphins last game. Guess it wasn't all Rex's fault. I demand mea culpas!

As the resident Rex apologist, I'm ramping up towards maximum Rex snark. If we make the playoffs, I will be unbearable :P

If the Bills make the playoffs, you can say whatever you want.  I even think SDS should remove the filter, just for you, just for that day.

As the resident Rex apologist, I'm ramping up towards maximum Rex snark. If we make the playoffs, I will be unbearable :p

Meh. Our success this year doesn't mean that all of the stuff we pinned on him last year magically disappeared and never happened. I actually correlate our improvement with him handing off the play calling on defense and actually focusing on game management, which only started...at the beginning of this win streak!

Point being, I believe us Rex bashers had a point when we did it, and we certainly have been giving him credit recently. Tame your snark! :P

Meh. Our success this year doesn't mean that all of the stuff we pinned on him last year magically disappeared and never happened. I actually correlate our improvement with him handing off the play calling on defense and actually focusing on game management, which only started...at the beginning of this win streak!

Point being, I believe us Rex bashers had a point when we did it, and we certainly have been giving him credit recently. Tame your snark! :P

Where are all the "Rex sucks, just look at what the Jets are doing without him" posts this year? WHERE!?!

I think there was a lot of mistaking correlation with causation last season. One argument was Mario sucked because of Rex. That's trending towards unquestionably wrong.

My snark cannot be stopped, you can only hope to contain it :p

Where are all the "Rex sucks, just look at what the Jets are doing without him" posts this year? WHERE!?!

I think there was a lot of mistaking correlation with causation last season. One argument was Mario sucked because of Rex. That's trending towards unquestionably wrong.

My snark cannot be stopped, you can only hope to contain it :p

Mario's play is on himself, but we did not dream about the putrid clock management, timeout usage, challenges, and general control of the game he displayed last season. There has been huge improvement that came with passing off the play calling duties. Sure, I don't have t-test results on hand, but it makes loads of sense.

Mario's play is on himself, but we did not dream about the putrid clock management, timeout usage, challenges, and general control of the game he displayed last season. There has been huge improvement that came with passing off the play calling duties. Sure, I don't have t-test results on hand, but it makes loads of sense.

This.

Didn't expect Rex had the ability to delegate that role in him. Good on him & good for us.

But the stuff was all also a problem under Marrone. My beef last year was with the romanticization of Marrone's tenure and the treatment of a record with 1 less win as some catastrophic failure of coaching. Rex deserved some blame and unquestionably had his warts, but I believe the decline of the defense led people to lay way way more blame at his feet than was deserved. Rex boasted about his defenses, it fell flat, and now there's a seeming need to blame him for everything that goes (or went, as the case may be) wrong.

But the stuff was all also a problem under Marrone. My beef last year was with the romanticization of Marrone's tenure and the treatment of a record with 1 less win as some catastrophic failure of coaching. Rex deserved some blame and unquestionably had his warts, but I believe the decline of the defense led people to lay way way more blame at his feet than was deserved. Rex boasted about his defenses, it fell flat, and now there's a seeming need to blame him for everything that goes (or went, as the case may be) wrong.

Who were the Marrone supporters? 

Definitely hate that guy. Is he still the O-line coach in Jacksonville?

Who were the Marrone supporters?

Definitely hate that guy. Is he still the O-line coach in Jacksonville?

It was more the general sentiment of "everything is so much worse under Rex" that I was trying to get at. Implicit in that sort of thinking is raising Marrone to an undeserved level. And yea, pretty sure he's still with the Jags.

It was more the general sentiment of "everything is so much worse under Rex" that I was trying to get at. Implicit in that sort of thinking is raising Marrone to an undeserved level. And yea, pretty sure he's still with the Jags.

Fair enough, but was it a large enough segment of Sabrespace to spend energy being smug when there is plenty of Bylsma hate to be expressed??

Fair enough, but was it a large enough segment of Sabrespace to spend energy being smug when there is plenty of Bylsma hate to be expressed??

Isolating the Bills thread, yes...but in the context of a hockey forum, probably not. I confess, some of it is a defense mechanism since Rex was "my guy" to replace Marrone.

On Byslma....yes! On to the Calgary thread!

Just to be clear, Marrone's record his last year, and Rex's record were actually, believe it or not, the same.  I know, the standings will say that the Bills were 9-7 vs 8-8, but Marrone beat a Pats team that played its starters for a quarter with what looked like no gameplan.  The game meant nothing to the Pats.  Pick any college team, and they probably could've won that game too.  

Marrone was Dick Jauron 2.0 in my opinion, mediocrity at its finest, and Rex is definitely the better of the two.  

Sal Capaccio just had a smart string of tweets about why running the ball is easier/more common now. It's been a passing league with spread offenses long enough for teams to adjust defensive personnel to smaller, faster players which makes it harder to stop the run.

The teams that stuff the run are the ones that are lucky enough to find players that can do both on the defensive side but there aren't enough that can do both for the league to stop both the pass and the run.

Sal Capaccio just had a smart string of tweets about why running the ball is easier/more common now. It's been a passing league with spread offenses long enough for teams to adjust defensive personnel to smaller, faster players which makes it harder to stop the run.

The teams that stuff the run are the ones that are lucky enough to find players that can do both on the defensive side but there aren't enough that can do both for the league to stop both the pass and the run.

I can't believe this is a revelation. Everything is cyclical.

Mario Williams only played 13 snaps for the Dolphins against the Steelers. No injury, just being phased out

I've come back around to thinking that the franchise needs to figure out a way to keep Whaley. He may need some help, or just some growth and mentoring, but I like his ability to move on from talent when the time has come. Jairus Byrd, anyone?

Add to that the splashes he's made with low-cost FA additions, and I am a fan again.

Shoot. I'll throw in the McCoy MVP candidacy, for good measure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.