Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

I'd cry if I ever bought the Sabres. Bet your sweet ass I would

Sure but you're a real fan who fights about it on the internet. I bet Pegula would never post here :p

It's becoming more and more evident that Mr. Pegula is more concerned with other matters than just winning cup(s).

I agree, that winning cup(s) would generate more money for Mr. Pegula. So? Maybe they should focus on that.

Gotta find ways to make money in the meantime, no?

There's something fishy going on here and some posters are beginning to sniff it out. Warning PA seems to me to be part of a slow plan to get rid of the "trolls" and turn this forum into pure conformity. Something similar has been happening on TBD. 

At the very least the mods don't like people criticizing ownership if the reason isn't "valid". To which I say, why would the mods care if they have no interests tied up with One Buffalo? I understand getting annoyed. But warning long-time posters who seem genuine about their concerns? Fishy fishy fishy. 

You mention fighting the "hive mentality" here, but in my experience the only time that there is a "hive mentality" is when stuff from outer space like this or the statement that this board has a Soviet-Union-like feel is mentioned. Nobody sees it that way except you, so naturally when we say that sounds crazy, you feel like nobody is on your side. It is crazy. This board isn't slowly getting censored, silencing the brave truth-speakers, to allow Pegula to get away with some maniacal plot.

Maybe I just don't see it, but it rarely seems like you post anything hockey-related here, so I think you're missing a huge chunk of this board activity that is centered around all of us learning from each other and enjoying and debating the sport we love. When we all spend our time doing that and then see accusations of groupthink and censorship from someone who rarely posts other than to accuse the board of this, we aren't going to agree, and you'll use that as further evidence for something that doesn't even exist.

Stick around, and jump into other threads sometime. This is a really fun place to be.

About you making unsubstantiated claims that there's the shadowy hand of the mods behind a "hivemind."  And that you're somehow fighting the power.

What is a substantiated claim? Do you want me to link to a research paper about SabreSpace conformity? Add a Reddit upvote/downvote button on this site and it's true nature will appear pretty quickly. 

What is a substantiated claim? Do you want me to link to a research paper about SabreSpace conformity? Add a Reddit upvote/downvote button on this site and it's true nature will appear pretty quickly. 

We did have that upvote/downvote thing initially.  It was a joke with some posters constantly upvating/downvoting just based on poster screen name.

To his credit, Scott got rid of it.

Dude is a bit of a lout, and has pretty much stayed out of the public eye in recent years.  What more do you want from the guy?

We want to say unequivocally how much he hates the leafs. How he's going to barricade the Peace Bridge and neuter Carlton the Bear. Burn effigies of the Leafs from the customs booths on the way into the USA. Only serve American Bacon at Sabres Pancake breakfasts. He is the Buffalo-lord, our leader, act like it. Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo-visiting Leafs fans! Rawr!

Also, the tears were fake on day one.

Disagree. 

He was clearly feeling the feels. And he lacks the guile needed to pull off that sort of stunt.

What did become a runaway train were the inferences and narratives that immediately and understandably proceeded from that scene.

We want to say unequivocally how much he hates the leafs. How he's going to barricade the Peace Bridge and neuter Carlton the Bear. Burn effigies of the Leafs from the customs booths on the way into the USA. Only serve American Bacon at Sabres Pancake breakfasts. He is the Buffalo-lord, our leader, act like it. Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo-visiting Leafs fans! Rawr!

This is a start.

You mention fighting the "hive mentality" here, but in my experience the only time that there is a "hive mentality" is when stuff from outer space like this or the statement that this board has a Soviet-Union-like feel is mentioned. Nobody sees it that way except you, so naturally when we say that sounds crazy, you feel like nobody is on your side. It is crazy. This board isn't slowly getting censored, silencing the brave truth-speakers, to allow Pegula to get away with some maniacal plot.

Maybe I just don't see it, but it rarely seems like you post anything hockey-related here, so I think you're missing a huge chunk of this board activity that is centered around all of us learning from each other and enjoying and debating the sport we love. When we all spend our time doing that and then see accusations of groupthink and censorship from someone who rarely posts other than to accuse the board of this, we aren't going to agree, and you'll use that as further evidence for something that doesn't even exist.

Stick around, and jump into other threads sometime. This is a really fun place to be.

Good points.

I've stopped posting in hockey-related threads around the time I was attacked for suggesting Eichel was playing lazy. I felt that if I couldn't speak my mind on hockey, what was the point in posting here? I live in Florida now, I think the only reason I even come around anymore is to feel some sort of connection to the city. 

The thing is, sometimes the stuff from "outer space" only seems that way because it's outside the box. There is always something to it. When I hear people label it "crazy" and say "nobody agrees with you", I roll my eyes. I don't think PA is crazy in this thread. I don't think I'm crazy for thinking Kane might be a problem down the line. We're just speaking our truth. When we're attacked for saying what we believe, not with logic but with insults, we strike back. 

So maybe it's my overall frustration with this board spilling over. A great poster on this forum got banned, and now another really good one gets attacked for something relatively minor. What did they have in common? They were willing to criticize sacred cows and speak their minds even if it was against the grain.

So yes, I feel like a brave truth-speaker. And perhaps I'm full of myself, but that's a mark on my character, not on my ideas and intuition. 

And besides, PR control of message boards is hardly a "maniacal" idea, even third party ones. Even if the mods aren't in on it, I'd bet a lot of money there are Sabre employees or international contractors posting on this site and others with the sole purpose of monitoring and leading discussion in certain directions. Bots even. 

When the team is in the third or fourth year of a stink, and criticizing the owner is taboo, it's not natural. 

Defending is not the same as an open invitation. 

And an open invitation by the FO does not mean we as fans need to make them feel welcome. I want opposing fans here so I have someone to root against, along with their team.

And as a pretty new consistent poster, I love the hockey and not so hockey related content. I appreciate that this place exists, same with the other people who post. And as for PA, “I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” The discussion is what makes a board with posting on. Otherwise It's just people blinding posting anything they want without any reasonable discussion afterward. That's the last thing I want here

It's becoming more and more evident that Mr. Pegula is more concerned with other matters than just winning cup(s).

I agree, that winning cup(s) would generate more money for Mr. Pegula. So? Maybe they should focus on that.

What isn't Pegula doing, that he should be doing, to try to win the Cup? I agree he's got other stuff going on, but I see zero evidence that that reality is taking away from the Sabres.

What isn't Pegula doing, that he should be doing, to try to win the Cup? I agree he's got other stuff going on, but I see zero evidence that that reality is taking away from the Sabres.

Apparently, he's so busy on "other stuff" he isn't spending enough time meddling his way to a Cup. Can't please some people.

Apparently, he's so busy on "other stuff" he isn't spending enough time meddling his way to a Cup. Can't please some people.

The "ideal owner" used to be somebody that buys the team and takes no interest in running it. Somebody who mails the checks from Florida and leaves his "hockey people" in charge. I think we've come to the conclusion that such a beast is rarer than unicorns.

Pegula should basically be the next best thing: he worries about the Bills and leaves his wife (who appears to be the true brains behind the operation) to run the business side of the Sabres. Despite this, he still gets a lot of flack for being a businessman and running the Sabres like a business, which they are.

Edited by qwksndmonster

The thing about the "focused on other stuff" trope with Pegula -- HarborCenter, principally -- is that it ignores the reality of what it takes to have a successful pro sports franchise in the modern era and, more to the point, what it's most definitely going to take do have two such franchises in a smallish town like Buffalo.

Again, I have no issue with the Sabres marketing themselves and Buffalo to out of town fans. My preference is that they target publicly out of town SABRE fans, not openly target opposition fans.

It just smacks of money making and takes away from the owners statement that it's all about cup(s).

The Sabres (through Gilbert) did NOT target Loaf fans. The travel piece writer did. And most likely he was using "Toronto," "Ontario," & "Leafs" as the adjective prior to the word "fans" interchangeably.

AND Mike Gilbert's job is to make money for the Sabres via getting as large a community as possible interested in attending Sabres games (& most likely additional events at HC). HIS job isn't to put a better product on the ice - that's TM's job.

[EDIT: & if TM is successful, that should also help TP make more money.]

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.