Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

How is the intents of the author & of Gilbert irrelevant? Both have stated (off line) that the intent assumed by the OP was NOT their intent. And if the quoted Sabre employee is stating that he isn't dissing Sabres fans, how is the organization? Is it some sort of secret code that only a select few have the decoder for, the originator of the coded words not included among the select few w/ the decoder?

And, as long as this is his sandbox, SDS gets to decide what is and isn't appropriate here. I'm glad he doesn't take his puck home but lets us keep playing.

Beat me to it. PA speculated, and that speculation has been shown to be incorrect. Why can't PA just stand up and say he was wrong, and retract the initial assertion? Does he think SDS is lying about this? At some point even the tinfoiliest (it's a word now dammit) have to admit that the flying saucer they saw really was just a kid playing Kan Jam.

How is the intents of the author & of Gilbert irrelevant? Both have stated (off line) that the intent assumed by the OP was NOT their intent. And if the quoted Sabre employee is stating that he isn't dissing Sabres fans, how is the organization? Is it some sort of secret code that only a select few have the decoder for, the originator of the coded words not included among the select few w/ the decoder?

And, as long as this is his sandbox, SDS gets to decide what is and isn't appropriate here. I'm glad he doesn't take his puck home but lets us keep playing.

Quit focusing on PA. He's not the only one here. His OP has generated discussion.

I'm also tired of this sandbox argument. If we're going to outlaw speculation and the resulting discussions then just do it. Make some rules. Take this forum and put the shackles on it.

As long as I can drink beers during it, I'm down. Whoever can email me the best Pokemon card wins. And yes, I mean the original 150. 600 Pokemon?? Get that heathen ###### out of here

Is everyone seriously playing this again? My grown man cousin has been talking about how he plays it online.

Quit focusing on PA. He's not the only one here. His OP has generated discussion.

I'm also tired of this sandbox argument. If we're going to outlaw speculation and the resulting discussions then just do it. Make some rules. Take this forum and put the shackles on it.

Where is speculation being outlawed?

There was an initial hypothesis which appears to have been determined to be incorrect. Continuing to support the hypothesis after it has been shown to be false is silly IMHO. The guy running this site is taking issue w/ continuing to run w/ this particular hypothesis. IMHO, nothing to see here and definitely not a case of jack booted thugs stiffling discussion.

Is everyone seriously playing this again? My grown man cousin has been talking about how he plays it online.

I didn't know you could play it online. Every summer I usually get bored enough to dig out one of the originals and play it. Literally know the thing by heart at this point. Tons of fun, easy, and with all the nostalgia to go with it. The game seriously never gets old. As for the news ones, I bought one way back when, like 8 years back, and hated it. A lot of my friends still buy the new ones. And, ironically, it's a lot more of the jocks than csc nerds

There was an initial hypothesis which appears to have been determined to be incorrect. Continuing to support the hypothesis after it has been shown to be false is silly IMHO. The guy running this site is taking issue w/ continuing to run w/ this particular hypothesis. IMHO, nothing to see here and definitely not a case of jack booted thugs stiffling discussion.

Correct.  Just a bunch of temper tantrums.

Who cares about PA's jacked up hypothesis? Who is he hurting? Himself and ...?

I didn't know you could play it online. Every summer I usually get bored enough to dig out one of the originals and play it. Literally know the thing by heart at this point. Tons of fun, easy, and with all the nostalgia to go with it. The game seriously never gets old. As for the news ones, I bought one way back when, like 8 years back, and hated it. A lot of my friends still buy the new ones. And, ironically, it's a lot more of the jocks than csc nerds

Man, I probably have tons of cards hanging around :lol:

Why is it when the site administrator or one of the mods disagrees with a post in very certain terms, it's looked upon as a censorship move or strong armed tactic? Can't they get just as fed up and frustrated with crusades like the rest of us? 

GO SABRES!!!

Why is it when the site administrator or one of the mods disagrees with a post in very certain terms, it's looked upon as a censorship move or strong armed tactic? Can't they get just as fed up and frustrated with crusades like the rest of us? 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't mean this in a rude way. Do you know there's an ignore button? You could also ignore threads that I start. I think that would solve 99% of the complaints. No one is forcing you to read the crusades.

Who cares about PA's jacked up hypothesis? Who is he hurting? Himself and ...?

Man, I probably have tons of cards hanging around :lol:

Pretty certain that Fearless Leader cares about it, which is what you appear to be concerned w/.

Not sure why you keep digressing from the specific issue into a more general one. Will TP sell out the locals to improve his bottom line? Well, he kept the Bills TO series going, so there's that. Uhhhh, he DIDN'T keep that going? :unsure:

Well, we still have the Gilbert quote as proof. Uhhhh, that was not as deep as the OP made it out to be? :unsure:

Well, people have been banned for posting in this thread. Uhhhhh, nobody was? :unsure: (Well, maybe Liger, but he had it coming for speculating about TP. :unsure: Oh, that was for going off on another poster (if he WAS in fact banned, which doesn't appear to have happened either).)

Really not sure what it is you're still up in arms over. (And won't be able to find out what it was for a while, as I must run now.)

I don't mean this in a rude way. Do you know there's an ignore button? You could also ignore threads that I start. I think that would solve 99% of the complaints. No one is forcing you to read the crusades.

Oh, you don't honestly expect somebody could quit you, do you?

Get over yourself, my post applies to everyone.

I enjoy much of what you offer here,  but your crusades are just as tiresome as others. I don't automatically assume, when I click on one of your threads, that it is gonna be another one. Sometimes you have to sift through the muck to get to the gems. 

GO SABRES!!!

Taro T, on 02 Feb 2016 - 8:45 PM, said:

Actually, someone was threatened with "limited" posting abilities, whatever it was exactly and whatever that means, exactly.  And, prior to that, the OP's thoughts were mixed up with the concept of the OP.  If spndchz had made the OP, saying she was uncomfortable with the Sabres seemingly inviting the enemy into the building, would we be in this exact spot, now?  Would liger gone ballistic? I submit not.

And then there was discussion about "posting lies" and how it's all just speculation. Ridiculous.  It was a theory, and started an interesting discussion topic.  The problem wasn't the content of the OP, the problem in this thread was how certain people responded.  The problem is that some people simply can't get over what they think the OP, in this case, intends each time he posts.  One could simply, and rationally, disagree.  But, instead, several attacked the OP personally, instead of taking apart his theory. 

So, IMHO, the thought behind the OP really isn't an issue.  That can be discussed.  The issue is the way certain people responded, and instead of taking responsibility for their responses, they blamed the OP for...being the OP.  And then the OP was threatened to change his behavior, and not post certain types of otherwise innocuous topics, elsewise they will be punished for being rationally unique. 

I see it like d4rk.  It's like a mindset has set in to white-wash the content of the board and neutralize the personalities and conversations that make this board stand out in the first place.  It's like fancy-stats have made their way into conversation - if you can't back up your statements with some acceptable data, then your statements are not welcome.  That's boring. 

Actually, someone was threatened with "limited" posting abilities, whatever it was exactly and whatever that means, exactly.  And, prior to that, the OP's thoughts were mixed up with the concept of the OP.  If spndchz had made the OP, saying she was uncomfortable with the Sabres seemingly inviting the enemy into the building, would we be in this exact spot, now?  Would liger gone ballistic? I submit not.

And then there was discussion about "posting lies" and how it's all just speculation. Ridiculous.  It was a theory, and started an interesting discussion topic.  The problem wasn't the content of the OP, the problem in this thread was how certain people responded.  The problem is that some people simply can't get over what they think the OP, in this case, intends each time he posts.  One could simply, and rationally, disagree.  But, instead, several attacked the OP personally, instead of taking apart his theory. 

So, IMHO, the thought behind the OP really isn't an issue.  That can be discussed.  The issue is the way certain people responded, and instead of taking responsibility for their responses, they blamed the OP for...being the OP.  And then the OP was threatened to change his behavior, and not post certain types of otherwise innocuous topics, elsewise they will be punished for being rationally unique. 

I see it like d4rk.  It's like a mindset has set in to white-wash the content of the board and neutralize the personalities and conversations that make this board stand out in the first place.  It's like fancy-stats have made their way into conversation - if you can't back up your statements with some acceptable data, then your statements are not welcome.  That's boring. 

Thank you. This thread is about a lot of things, but it's not about a fan being upset that a Sabres executive said the team loves Leafs fans, or that fan's speculation about how the quote and piece came to be.

Me, of all people, commenting on oversight and regulation as follows ...

I don't think there's much censorship here. We're allowed to self police. I find this to be a particularly provocative debate. It followed a number with a similar theme to the extent that it became "a straw". The list of notables who are no longer around has grown. Mr. SDS sees a common denominator, at least to some extent. He'd know better than me.

He asked PA to stop. This occurs rarely. Actual censorship is rigorous. I understand the motive behind the request includes the loss of former regulars.

I like provocation. Poke away! I respond or I read and move on. Others approach it differently. Vive la différence.

SDS has a reasonable request that's narrow and specific. It's not censorship. It's designed to protect the franchise. That's THIS franchise, not the hockey club. I get his point.

There are times when reasonable people have their say and move on.

Edited by N'eo

Man, fancy-stats really get a bad wrap around here

Weber, Moulson, Gionta? No, no sir. The true whipping boy around here is the statistic that was created post-1960.

Thank you. This thread is about a lot of things, but it's not about a fan being upset that a Sabres executive said the team loves Leafs fans, or that fan's speculation about how the quote and piece came to be.

http://www.thespec.com/living-story/6255194-shuffle-off-to-buffalo-to-watch-the-leafs/

Why do the Sabres love enemy fans in their building? Because they'll stay at the Marriott and buy donuts the next morning? The linked article is a very thinly veiled press release from the Sabres about what to do before and after a game (hint: you don't have to leave Pegulaville).

That sound you just heard is one more of the million things you do to win a Cup getting flushed down the toilet. You don't do anything to see your home ice advantage get hurt, let alone actively encouraging it. WTF! What's next, taking a couple of games to Hamilton each season? I mean, why not? It would do wonders for future attendance in Buffalo, and Timbit sales.

Smell, please spare me your tired "Pangloss/prescriptive tendency" routine. For a franchise that bragged that "Starting today..." there is no defending this statement by one of the team's vice presidents, who I presume is speaking for the franchise itself. Speaking of which, I wonder where Terry comes down on this. Meddling? On the business side, on something that impacts the team, hell yes. He can't possibly love Leafs fans in the building in droves, can he, being the fanatic superfan that he is?

I don't think you should have been warned over this thread, but, I mean...

Me, of all people, commenting on oversight and regulation as follows ...

I don't think there's much censorship, here. We're allowed to self police. I find this to be a particularly provocative debate. It followed a number with a similar theme to the extent that it became "a straw". The list of notables who are no longer around has grown. Mr. SDS sees a common denominator, at least to some extent. He'd know better than me.

He asked PA to stop. This is occurs rarely. Actual censorship is rigorous. I understand the motive behind the request includes the loss of former regulars.

I like provocation. Poke away! I respond or I read and move on. Others approach it differently. Vive la différence.

SDS has a reasonable request that's narrow and specific. It's not censorship. It's designed to protect the franchise. That's THIS franchise, not the hockey club. I get his point.

There are times when reasonable people have their say and move on.

I've had no private communication with Scott. I got a PM from chz, oddly worded, to the effect that, "If you don't see the type of poster you're being, I'm going to have to limit you." I got no reply to my response, which can be summed up as "huh?"

It isn't? That is not the take-away I got from your OP. Indeed, it was ALL about what Gilbert said and the disloyalty that comment suggested in the minds of the myopic. 

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

I have to say, after reading all the crap in here I half expecting Scott to pull the plug. It almost sounds like a few actually want that and it blows my mind. I now know why X, in my opinion one of if not the most interesting poster to read, walked away. I genuinely do not understand the way people operate anymore and what it is we actually talk about around here.

So just in case my fear does come to, thanks for what you've put together here Scott. I'd venture to guess that most people do appreciate the little world you've built for us here.

Edited by shrader

Good points.

I've stopped posting in hockey-related threads around the time I was attacked for suggesting Eichel was playing lazy. I felt that if I couldn't speak my mind on hockey, what was the point in posting here? I live in Florida now, I think the only reason I even come around anymore is to feel some sort of connection to the city. 

The thing is, sometimes the stuff from "outer space" only seems that way because it's outside the box. There is always something to it. When I hear people label it "crazy" and say "nobody agrees with you", I roll my eyes. I don't think PA is crazy in this thread. I don't think I'm crazy for thinking Kane might be a problem down the line. We're just speaking our truth. When we're attacked for saying what we believe, not with logic but with insults, we strike back. 

So maybe it's my overall frustration with this board spilling over. A great poster on this forum got banned, and now another really good one gets attacked for something relatively minor. What did they have in common? They were willing to criticize sacred cows and speak their minds even if it was against the grain.

So yes, I feel like a brave truth-speaker. And perhaps I'm full of myself, but that's a mark on my character, not on my ideas and intuition. 

And besides, PR control of message boards is hardly a "maniacal" idea, even third party ones. Even if the mods aren't in on it, I'd bet a lot of money there are Sabre employees or international contractors posting on this site and others with the sole purpose of monitoring and leading discussion in certain directions. Bots even. 

When the team is in the third or fourth year of a stink, and criticizing the owner is taboo, it's not natural. 

If you are inclined to believe in conspiracies, monsters, aliens, the Illuminati, Bigfoot, mind control, yadda, tadda, yadda, then yes, there's always something to it...because you want to believe it. In reality it's ponderous and "doesn't add anything to the conversation" as you like to say. Ginning up crackpot theories is not fun to me.

If you are inclined to believe in conspiracies, monsters, aliens, the Illuminati, Bigfoot, mind control, yadda, tadda, yadda, then yes, there's always something to it...because you want to believe it. In reality it's ponderous and "doesn't add anything to the conversation" as you like to say. Ginning up crackpot theories is not fun to me.

Says the guy who spent a lot of time defending Regier :p

TrueBlueGED, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:22 PM, said:TrueBlueGED, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:22 PM, said:TrueBlueGED, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:22 PM, said:

I don't think you should have been warned over this thread, but, I mean...

I don't get what is wrong with what you bolded.  You might not appreciate the thinking behind it, but all of that is not worth anyone getting their panties bunched up in a wad.  And I'm not saying you did, specifically, but, of course, others did.

So, perhaps the speculation that the Sabres directly generated the article is wrong. So what, unless you're really motivated to find out for sure, most people will not call the Sabres to verify that.  They will only do so to make a very distinct point.  Most people speculate and theorize in similar such conversations.

Do you disagree that the Sabres are actively marketing to other teams' fans to come in and fill the building?  Did Gilbert verify that they are NOT actively doing that (not in just this instance)?  Did you make that call?  You haven't admitted as much.  Let's say you disagree, as you seem to imply.  Is it CRAZY and STUPID to think that they may be doing that kind of marketing?  If yes, why?  Why is it crazy to think that?

Suppose you allow that the Sabres are marketing to opposing teams' fans. You don't think that having those fans in the Sabres building is a bad thing.  Good for you.  Why is it SILLY for someone to think it is?  Do you have data to back up that thinking?  Is there consensus that the data is sound? 

Generally, you are implying with the way your response reads that the entire concept behind the thought is ridiculous...no, not ridiculous, the ellipsis suggest to me you think the thought is crazy, loony, irrational.  You are not at all allowing the possibility that there might be some truth in there worth discussing.  You are dismissing the thought completely, implying it is less than meritless.

PromoTheRobot, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:31 PM, said:PromoTheRobot, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:31 PM, said:

Ginning up crackpot theories is not fun to me.

Then why not leave the thread instead of attacking the person with the so-called crackpot theory.  That was your choice.  Your "crackpot theory" is someone else's "interesting thought".  You are not asking people to conform to your thinking, you are requiring them to.  And you throw tantrums when they don't.  See: this thread.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.