Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

I agree, if you don't like a post attack it, but never the poster.

And, what if Gilbert and the articles author are lying?  What are they going to say in a discussion about it ... yup, you got us ... Sabre management and the owner ...

There may be nothing here, but the optics of the article stink, at least to me and some others.  Feel free to disagree, but don't deny our feelings on the matter.  And don't attack us for it.

And, what if the lie was that actually neither wanted Loaf fans anywhere near the Mmarena? :o

And, what if the lie was that actually neither wanted Loaf fans anywhere near the Mmarena? :o

Then I'm guessing that there would be no fluff travel piece for PA to dig up.

What gems has PA uncovered that turned out to have any basis in reality. Before you answer consider how many darts have been thrown.

No one can say for certain if there is anything real in what he digs up.  What he finds no one would admit to being involved in.

Again, what would these two say to SDS in a discussion on the matter, other than there is nothing to see here?

No one can say for certain if there is anything real in what he digs up.  What he finds no one would admit to being involved in.

Again, what would these two say to SDS in a discussion on the matter, other than there is nothing to see here?

But you don't KNOW that. (And PA didn't dig up the article. Gary did. Once again, thaaaaanks Gary.

No one can say for certain if there is anything real in what he digs up. What he finds no one would admit to being involved in.

Not speaking for SDS, but I imagine he envisioned this as a place other than where one can haphazardly throw at a wall to see what sticks.

Once in awhile? Perhaps. Where it becomes what you are all about? Not so much.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Not speaking for SDS, but I imagine he envisioned this as a place other than where one can haphazardly throw ###### at a wall to see what sticks.

Yea, I think there are limits to the "judge the post, not the poster" philosophy, particularly when they are...ahem...stylized...a certain way.

Not speaking for SDS, but I imagine he envisioned this as a place other than where one can haphazardly throw ###### at a wall to see what sticks.

I'm glad you mentioned SDS' vision of his boards. He wants a positive, enjoyable place, but these places are sports message boards on the Internet with anonymous posters for teams that have respectively not made the playoffs since 1999 and not won a playoff series since 2007, teams that have respectively been league doormats and one of which even was historically bad and is possibly headed for a third straight last place finish. The vision is unrealistic.

You have a quote like Gilbert's and expect what exactly? Positivity? This kind of reminds me of Terry at the Buffalo News' editorial board meeting on his first day when he blamed the paper for the quit in the Sabres and said maybe if they printed more positive stuff, the players would do better. Harrington replied that when things are going well, the coverage is positive. When it's not, you have one Jerry Sullivan breathing fire, but you're lucky, because in bigger markets, there would be six Jerry Sullivans. SDS is lucky this isn't a Flyers, Rangers or Canadiens board or other places where fans have a shred of a heartbeat left. There would be 35 PASabreFans all over it.

I'm pretty idealistic and that gets me in trouble. The reason SDS and I clash isn't that we are oil and water, it's oil and oil, baby. We are the same person, right down to the negative waves, as d4rk would say.

So, just to recap.

We're all Leafs fans now?

Je suis Babcock.

Sounds like a narrative. Why is yours OK?

What gems has PA uncovered that turned out to have any basis in reality. Before you answer consider how many darts have been thrown.

Have I mentioned lately that I read the tea leaves correctly and predicted Rick would not retire after this season?

IMO this was never about stifling or censorship, but rather the frequency of a largely tiresome crusade, and the subsequent bombs thrown to keep the fire stoked.

To put it another way,IMO PA's ownership and front office watchdog persona is the "ying" to the poster who defends everything the team does no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary "yang". I don't think such a yang poster exists in our community, but if he did it would be equally as tiresome.

It's more of a collective yang, a groupthink. Maybe you have to be a Buffalonian to want to ignore anything critical about Terry. I don't know. But there are tons of people here who have never said an unkind word about Terry and never will. Heck, I couldn't get anyone to agree with me that no fan of the Sabres wouldn't have known the Sabres were bankrupt, for sale and in danger of leaving after the Rigas debacle. What are you gonna do?

Let's not pretend that Liger isn't prone to over the top reaction to strongly defended opposing opinions.  This was far from his first irrational reaction to an opinion he disagreed with.  He's not some sort of bellweather of rational poster making irrational decisions because of PA's posts.  

Thank you. This was the weakest of SDS' points.

Just for the record. I know most of you guys even though you don't know me. long time lurker. But a few pages up thread I asked PA a question directly relevant to the thread. he viewed my profile but never answered! Why? Because it shot down his "theory" and he didn't want that. I have enjoyed many of your posts PA. but like I said before, i think, to a lot of posters you've lost some credability with all this

The question was: I have a question for you PA, is it Pegulas fault that the Canadian fans are coming to the arena? Has it been happening since before he was the owner?

I didn't answer because it's totally irrelevant. Canadian fans have been coming since Day One. Leafs fans have been coming in droves for a long time. I don't know when that phenomenon began, maybe it coincided with higher ticket prices at the ACC. Their coming isn't the issue.

Is there something wrong with viewing a profile?

It's more of a collective yang, a groupthink. Maybe you have to be a Buffalonian to want to ignore anything critical about Terry. I don't know. But there are tons of people here who have never said an unkind word about Terry and never will. Heck, I couldn't get anyone to agree with me that no fan of the Sabres wouldn't have known the Sabres were bankrupt, for sale and in danger of leaving after the Rigas debacle. What are you gonna do?

I still don't agree.

Did someone agree?

I think it was conceded, by some (including me), that it's an odd mark on his resume of Sabre fandom.

But, it's probably true that no one agreed with the proposition that NO true Sabre fan could have EVER been unaware of what was going on with the Rigas/bankruptcy debacle, presuming they were alive and breathing when that was going on, going down.

My take was based on my own personal experience in having my fandom wax and wane over the course of more than a decade in the pre-internet days (before all information was everywhere). Like, I'm always a little chagrined to admit that the Sabres were not a big priority for me at the time of the May Day goal and series sweep. Heck, I was not living in Buffalo then. I saw the goal live on a television, but only because I happened to be in a bar in New England that had the game on.

I think Pegula's fondness for the team, his fandom, his devotion to Perreault, etc. are all 100% genuine. I also think it's normal to have your fandom go into dormancy when your life is making other demands of you (like, growing a billion dollar energy company).

I'll add: It does strain credulity a bit to think that he'd have been unaware that the team was in bankruptcy. I'm not sure why he'd have felt the need to say that, if it's not entirely true.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Oh, now I see what that was getting at.

I find it hard to believe that a life-long fan would not have realized what was happening to the team, even if, no offence Smell, he was busy making a fortune. Maybe said fortune maker could have cashed out a bit of that fortune a bit earlier and saved the team then.  That said, I am happy that another billionaire did at the time.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

BTW, the idea that the statements from Gibby (the Sabres are losing money!) and the freelancer put this all to bed is sorta funny.

So, wait, people involved in a somewhat odd published statement are at the ready to say that the statement means nothing, is being taken out of context, yadda yadda?

Will wonders never cease?

So that's the discussion here? whether pegula is openly inviting leaf fans or not?

I guess I'm the minority here that doesn't see a problem. I mean really, I read the article (wonder how many of you didnt) and I fail to see any kind of conspiracy. even if I could slightly see the silhouette of the link that's being made, who cares!! Even if pegula phoned the guy up, I don't care of he wrote the article himself! I come from a place where the low cap team sells out! Very few opposing fans who couldn't be heard if they shouted. (when the shares come to town I get heard don't get me wrong!) The point I'm going for is, our owner isn't half the owner Pegula is. But if we had empty seats, he could fly out Vladimir Putin of he felt like it. it's like complaint about the president but you didn't vote! Get your vote in and go to a game or 2. Maybe it would be as loud when we score as when the leafs do

So that's the discussion here? whether pegula is openly inviting leaf fans or not?

I guess I'm the minority here that doesn't see a problem. I mean really, I read the article (wonder how many of you didnt) and I fail to see any kind of conspiracy. even if I could slightly see the silhouette of the link that's being made, who cares!! Even if pegula phoned the guy up, I don't care of he wrote the article himself! I come from a place where the low cap team sells out! Very few opposing fans who couldn't be heard if they shouted. (when the shares come to town I get heard don't get me wrong!) The point I'm going for is, our owner isn't half the owner Pegula is. But if we had empty seats, he could fly out Vladimir Putin of he felt like it. it's like complaint about the president but you didn't vote! Get your vote in and go to a game or 2. Maybe it would be as loud when we score as when the leafs do

I think this does sort of get to the issue that I am interested in discussing: How do fans of the OneBuffalo teams feel about the potential for Pegula Sports and Entertainment to be courting not just out of town fans, but fans of opposing teams?

Taking it to a different level: How about courting corporate entities based in rival markets? Like, what if following a reconfiguration of the NFL divisions (where the new AFC North is Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Bills (I've heard this may happen)) PSE were to sell a suite, or perhaps a share in a suite, in the FNC and in the new football stadium to Dick's Sporting Goods (based in Pittsburgh, btw) with the idea being that Dick's would bring Penguin and Steeler fans to Buffalo for games? I'm just spit balling here.

Oh, now I see what that was getting at.

I find it hard to believe that a life-long fan would not have realized what was happening to the team, even if, no offence Smell, he was busy making a fortune. Maybe said fortune maker could have cashed out a bit of that fortune a bit earlier and saved the team then.  That said, I am happy that another billionaire did at the time.

He said he wouldn't have had the money anyway.

The question was: I have a question for you PA, is it Pegulas fault that the Canadian fans are coming to the arena? Has it been happening since before he was the owner?

I didn't answer because it's totally irrelevant. Canadian fans have been coming since Day One. Leafs fans have been coming in droves for a long time. I don't know when that phenomenon began, maybe it coincided with higher ticket prices at the ACC. Their coming isn't the issue.

Is there something wrong with viewing a profile?

No, I was just saying to call you out so maybe you'd answer me!

My bad I didn't realize that fact was irrelevant. After all he built a hotel and restaurants specifically for the leaf fans! It would be a shame if he never advertised it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.