2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I think the window for Tavares mostly closed with the Okposo signing.

We need the money to upgrade the D.

Even if we trade Kane and get lucky with Moulson's contract it would still be tricky capwise.

And it pretty much guarantees Sam Reinhart will be traded.

Am I the only one who thinks Bailey has hit a wall?

Good speed and hustle, and decent skill, but he still needs to find a groove at the NHL pace.

Okposo and Carrier have been skating.

I don't think Bailey has hit a wall.   He still has jump, he plays on his toes, that's his game... he just doesn't know how to use it yet, and other teams have figured that he's a fast guy so they negate his speed.... he's not surprising anyone anymore.    

They sent him down probably because Buffalo has some time off and Rochester plays Friday so they could use him in their lineup.    

I'm amazed nobody has been flipping their ###### on here about going after Tavares. Especially considering his consistency compared to Stamkos, his health compared to Stamkos, and the fact that we had a 20 page topic on Stamkos. Very odd

Sign Tavares and then trade him for Brent Burns :)   Shedding just two of Ennis, Kulikov, Gionta, Gorges, Bogosian or Moulson contracts, while adding Burns at $8mil/yr, would be a net savings against the cap.

If we can parlay a very good winger (whom some other team intelligently pegs as a great center) into a top pair defenseman, we should do it.

I don't think there is a young defensemen that is the equivalent of Reinhart. I'd much rather trade Kane and a 1st

I'm positive Murray believes Sam is a centre and that he drafted him to be one.

I'm positive Murray believes the defence is better than it's shown.

I'm positive Murray is aware all the Bylsma Pittsburgh issues have resurfaced here.

I'm positive he is aware of the bad analytics on possession and Corsi for this team.

I'm positive he is aware the players he believes in and actively sought out have problems with his coach.

I'm positive he believes the talent is better than the record.

These are the kind of things that get coaches fired.

I'm positive Murray believes Sam is a centre and that he drafted him to be one.

I'm positive Murray believes the defence is better than it's shown.

I'm positive Murray is aware all the Bylsma Pittsburgh issues have resurfaced here.

I'm positive he is aware of the bad analytics on possession and Corsi for this team.

I'm positive he is aware the players he believes in and actively sought out have problems with his coach.

I'm positive he believes the talent is better than the record.

These are the kind of things that get coaches fired.

I'm positive the Pegula's meddle 

Checkmate

can't figure out why we are so quick to want to ship Kane and kulikov out...Kane is showing he is an elite power-forward and kulikov played very well when given big minutes last night versus the leafs.

I don't think we think Kane is bad as much as we need a Dman, and he's the only high end asset we have that isn't under our control more than just next year. 

As for Kulikov, I don't he wants to stay. However if he plays better defensively over the remainder of the season then I'd be more willing to think about a show me contract.

Lets not go crazy and say Kulikov had a "great" game and now should be re-signed.  2 points to double his total to 4 for the season isn't exactly the second coming.  Furthermore he got burned on one of the TOR goals, so the D issues remain.  Also he got one of the those points on the PP.  He is only getting 3 games on the PP while Risto is out.  If he averages 2 points a game for the next 7 games, I'll be happy to revisit the issue.

No one is saying Kane sucks and should be traded.  He has played to well for to long this season for even skeptics like myself to not appreciate his effort this season. That said, if you look at roster players we might move to help acquire a top 4 D, his name has to be at the top of the list.  Seriously who else do we have to trade that has substantial market value and we might be willing to part with?  Jack, Sam, McCabe, Risto, ROR, Okposo and Lehner are the core, so they aren't going anywhere.  Who's left?  Bogo? Moulson? Ennis? Foligno? Gorges? Girgensons? Larsson?  Not a lot of value there.    

I think this off-season may end up being more of a consolidation cycle rather than a building cycle.  Maybe one or two small moves, but starting next season with a roster that looks an awful lot like this year's, including the coaching staff, more or less.  And really, that might not be all bad.

Likely one or both of Kuli and Franson will be gone.  Perhaps Gorges will be bought out (although I'm okay if one of he or Franson or Kuli stays, personally).  We'll lose someone to the expansion draft (we hope Moulson, more likely Ullmark I bet).  I think at this point, rather than trying to fill gaps on defense by signing free agents, GMTM will promote from the AHL and restock that roster with AHLers and prospects.

I don't see him making a big splash because he will want to conserve cap space in order to sign Eichel and Reinhart and possibly Kane.

Maybe I'm trying make peace with the concept that GMTM will be quiet this off-season and trying to find the silver lining.  But at some point, you have to let the roster settle, let the chemistry develop, and start making evolutionary rather than revolutionary roster moves.

I still worry about Bylsma as coach.  I think the fact that the Sabres look really good some nights and simply awful other nights is a symptom of playing an outmoded system.  The teams that have moved well past the '90s expose the flaws in DD's dated system.  Teams that play a more basic game are easily beaten by the talent the Sabres have. 

One might argue that it's not the system that's being exposed, but rather the lack of talent/depth on defense.  Maybe so, maybe so.  If that's the case, then bringing the right defensive prospects up from the A to replace certain ageing veterans might fix the problem.

It's kind of like Nature vs. Nurture:  Roster vs. Coaching.  If we keep DD I hope it turns out that a few minor tweaks to the roster fix the current gaps.

Edited by Doohickie

I think this off-season may end up being more of a consolidation cycle rather than a building cycle.  Maybe one or two small moves, but starting next season with a roster that looks an awful lot like this year's, including the coaching staff, more or less.  And really, that might not be all bad.

Likely one or both of Kuli and Franson will be gone.  Perhaps Gorges will be bought out (although I'm okay if one of he or Franson or Kuli stays, personally).  We'll lose someone to the expansion draft (we hope Moulson, more likely Ullmark I bet).  I think at this point, rather than trying to fill gaps on defense by signing free agents, GMTM will promote from the AHL and restock that roster with AHLers and prospects.

I don't see him making a big splash because he will want to conserve cap space in order to sign Eichel and Reinhart and possibly Kane.

Maybe I'm trying make peace with the concept that GMTM will be quiet this off-season and trying to find the silver lining.  But at some point, you have to let the roster settle, let the chemistry develop, and start making evolutionary rather than revolutionary roster moves.

I still worry about Bylsma as coach.  I think the fact that the Sabres look really good some nights and simply awful other nights is a symptom of playing an outmoded system.  The teams that have moved well past the '90s expose the flaws in DD's dated system.  Teams that play a more basic game are easily beaten by the talent the Sabres have. 

One might argue that it's not the system that's being exposed, but rather the lack of talent/depth on defense.  Maybe so, maybe so.  If that's the case, then bringing the right defensive prospects up from the A to replace certain ageing veterans might fix the problem.

It's kind of like Nature vs. Nurture:  Roster vs. Coaching.  If we keep DD I hope it turns out that a few minor tweaks to the roster fix the current gaps.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have my torch ready to light and my pitchfork being sharpened. I plan on being prepared should this come to pass.

This team cannot afford to have Josh Gorges in its top 6, or even 7, next season. He is not an NHL player. I haven't checked in a while, but I assume he's still among the 5 worst possession players in the entire league. This team cannot afford his vomiting giveaways every time he touches the puck in both zones, and his inability to catch up to the play when he does it. It sucks, the guy's a warrior, but he's not even close to an NHL player anymore. Even if he captained us to a cup, he needs the Rivet treatment. He needs to be sent down/waived or bought out. And he did nothing close to captaining us to a cup. There is no sentimental or systemic or stylistic reason for Josh Gorges to be anywhere near this roster next year and if he is it is a catastrophic failure of the GM for keeping him and the coach for not scratching him.

The defence better be addressed in some meaningful way this off-season and then the roster can settle, which I do think happened with the forwards this season. The defence settling better happen next season.

I do think Gorges will be on the roster next season and depending what / who is added he will likely be on the bottom six pairing.  I think he has played OK and, Flagg, there is one sentimental reason why he should be on the roster next season ... he waived his NTC to come here and wander the desert for a few seasons, but blocked a trade to go to Toronto.  That has to be worth something for every fan of the Sabres.  It is worth a lot to this fan.

The defence better be addressed in some meaningful way this off-season and then the roster can settle, which I do think happened with the forwards this season. The defence settling better happen next season.

I do think Gorges will be on the roster next season and depending what / who is added he will likely be on the bottom six pairing.  I think he has played OK and, Flagg, there is one sentimental reason why he should be on the roster next season ... he waived his NTC to come here and wander the desert for a few seasons, but blocked a trade to go to Toronto.  That has to be worth something for every fan of the Sabres.  It is worth a lot to this fan.

A decision Josh made 3 years ago just doesn't make up for the fact that he's quite literally one of the worst players playing in the entire league right now. By any statistical measure and eye test out there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.