2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Our about-ready prospects not being top 6 players is because we have good centers?  Esplain.

OK, if we are talking balanced top 9, I don't get a warm fuzzy out of them on our top 9 either.  Frankly, we don't have the depth for a good top 6.  No way we have the depth for a balanced top 9.

Then again, I don't get a warm fuzzy about our prospects in general.  I'm just not seeing breakout talent here.  Guhle might be the only one, and he has yet to play as a pro.

I just don't think wingers are all that important if we're running a center spine of ROR-Eichel-Reinhart. Furthermore, I don't think non-elite wingers are all that important in the grand scheme of things. Perusing some of the top teams in the league, they have a couple guys and then just piece together the rest with interchangeable parts. I put together a list of the top six wingers by TOI, with points scored this year, for the top four teams in each conference:

Washington

Ovechkin - 58

Oshie - 45

Johansson - 45

Williams - 38

Burakovsky - 29

Wilson - 16

Total: 231

Columbus

Atkinson - 59

Saad - 48

Foligno - 47

Hartnell - 34

Calvert - 12

Anderson - 24

Total: 224

Pittsburgh

Kessel - 61

Hornqvist - 37

Sheary - 43

Hagelin - 22

Kunitz - 28

Rust - 25

Total: 216

NYR

Zuccarello - 48

Kreider - 48

Hayes - 46

Nash - 33

Grabner - 39

Fast - 20

Total: 234

Chicago

Kane - 76

Panarin - 62

Hossa - 39

Panik - 36

Hartman - 26

Rasmussen - 8

Total: 247

Minnesota

Granlund - 64

Parise - 31

Zucker - 45

Niederreiter - 48

Pominville - 41

Haula - 22

Total: 251

San Jose

Hertl - 18 (in 37 games)

Marleau - 40

Ward - 27

Boedker - 22

Donskoi - 15

Labanc - 19

Total: 141 (If Paveliski/Couture play wing, this jumps to 204/191, respectively...but I don't think they do)

Anaheim

Silfverberg - 41

Perry - 46

Eaves - 41 (deadline move, but w/e)

Ritchie - 24

Kase - 14

Shaw - 7

Total: 173

Where do the Sabres stand?

Buffalo

Okposo - 43

Kane - 39

Reinhart - 43

Gointa - 32

Foligno - 21

Moulson - 28 (Pi, eat your heart out)

Total: 206

That list won't be perfect because of trades/injuries/role changes and whatnot, but I think it paints a decent picture of what the best teams have to offer. I think one thing I notice is the teams with the strongest center spines (Pittsburgh, San Jose, Anaheim) are at the lower end of things. Probably not surprising, only so many resources to go around. Different ways to skin a cat. Crude analysis using raw points. Yada yada. 

Obviously I'd prefer a hockey-playing upgrade from Moulson, and Reinhart moving to center would leave a hole...but we're not far off on raw production from the wings iced by the best teams in the league. A bubble team like Ottawa has Stone, Hoffman, and a smorgasbord of poop on the wing. And I don't think you or anyone else needs to get particularly tingly loins when thinking about our prospects to think we could get ~30 points out of one or two of them playing with our centers. And that's without considering a coaching change. Our wings aren't ideal, but I'm pretty comfortable with where we're at there.

And you know there is more to it than raw production. The proof of our wingers is right out there for display 3 nights a week.

I don't think this really refutes my point. The best teams in the league are running 2-3 good wingers and just cobble together the rest, especially those teams with the best center depth. And those are the best teams.

We're absolutely no worse off in the wings than the lower rung playoff teams. Would I prefer one more Okposo-caliber winger? Of course! But I don't think adding one moves the needle much for next season, and I'm not really interested in spending assets to make it happen.

The Defense Pairings in practice were

Gorges-Risto

McCabe-Bogo

Nobody-Nobody

Fedun and Franson are Day to Day with injuries and not expected to play tomorrow.

Risto will give new meaning to phrase Play60

soooo Nelson, Burgdorfer?

Falk may be an option, and I'm thinking the new guy — Bodie? — is the best bet for a call-up.

...but I hear Dan is considering making the third pair DLo ROR.

Faulk, Fedun, Franson, Kulikov all out with injuries. Guhle on a strong WHL team just starting their playoffs. I think Fitzgerald's season is over, but he should stay in school. Florentino heading to NCAA tournament. Borgen's team is done, but he already committed to return to school.

Faulk, Fedun, Franson, Kulikov all out with injuries. Guhle on a strong WHL team just starting their playoffs. I think Fitzgerald's season is over, but he should stay in school. Florentino heading to NCAA tournament. Borgen's team is done, but he already committed to return to school.

I'm hoping the Sabres sign Florentino 1 minute after Providence is eliminated.

Per John Vogl

Casey Nelson and Brady Austin appear to be the call ups.

Not official though

This would be Brady Austin's NHL Debut

Crazy amount of injuries this season. Hopefully we get Leafs fortunes next year and basically have a full squad all year long. I say keep Austin and Nelson up for the remainder of the year.

Per John Vogl

Casey Nelson and Brady Austin appear to be the call ups.

Not official though

This would be Brady Austin's NHL Debut

I'm good with this. I like Burgdoerfer's name better than Austin, but you've got to see what you've got with Austin (and reward him). I'm glad we get to see Nelson. What did you learn in Rochester this season, Mr. Nelson? Good, now show us. Earn a long look next preseason.

Glad Guhle gets to stay in his WHL world and help his team go for the championship (having captured the BC division title). I hope to catch some playoff hockey with Guhle, Stephens, Estephan, or Hagel vs. either Seattle or Everett. Preferably Seattle for the drive time.... Convenience!

Scuttlebutt from where?  I could see it but we have zero depth on defense and he seems like he'd be worth a look even if he only ever ends up helping the Amerks.

I wish I could remember for sure. I think it may have been Kris Baker. It was less than a definitive report, and more than some random poster's speculation.

EDIT: I'm finding some stuff where he has been a healthy scratch as a senior, but I think I'm wrong on Baker, this is  his latest Tweet:

Kris Baker @SabresProspects

On Florentino, we think we know what's going on developmentally based on lineups. We don't. Bottom line is the kid has shown he can play.

Might just be remembering the scratches, and questions about him tied to that.

Edited by dudacek

Isn't an an an emergency call-up?

BTW, completely unrelated but you're coming to the meetup, right?

It would be an emergency call up, but after nine games his ELC would kick in for the year.

The emergency call up is for the CHL-NHL Transfer Agreement.

Unfortunately I will not be at the meetup, I'm on call Saturday and the person I usually switch with is in Cancun. I really was looking forward to meeting everyone in person. Maybe next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.