2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

It could be that he was traded from the team he'd spent his entire career with.

He couldn't bond with the guys here in camp because of the World Cup.

He couldn't bond with them early in the season because of the injury.

When he got to play he couldn't perform to his normal standards, and it further made him feel like an outsider because he failed to prove himself.

Then the injury doesn't get better and he gets frustrated with that.

And then the league says we don't really want you, even for a mid-round draft pick.

These guys are human beings.

Unhealthy, no friends, and questioning his own worth.

Leave Buffalo? It's a wonder he's not looking for a bridge.

You sound like a parent making excuses for his kid. You realize you are talking about a 26 year old millionaire who has been in the league for 7+ years and not some 10 year old that has been sent away to fat camp and is away from his parents for the first time ever in his life, right?

He still made $4.5M this year.  You don't need to feel bad.

I bet he would give it all back for a hug and a pat on the head while telling him that he's loved and appreciated though.

IT'S GONNA BE OK, DIMITRI! WE LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOU!

You sound like a parent making excuses for his kid. You realize you are talking about a 26 year old millionaire who has been in the league for 7+ years and not some 10 year old that has been sent away to fat camp and is away from his parents for the first time ever in his life, right?

I bet he would give it all back for a hug and a pat on the head while telling him that he's loved and appreciated though.

Oh come on. Do you really want to get rid of the guy, with THIS blueline, after just several months?

@ByMHarrington  53m53 minutes ago

Kulikov: "It's good 2 stay put and keep battling with these guys. On the other hand, I would have liked the opportunity somewhere else too."

Ouch.

That sounds alot like he doesn't want to be here.

It certainly does.

Yeeeeesh.

I wasn't asking you to cry for him, I was listing reasons why he may not want to stay in Buffalo.

But it's OK, I love and appreciate you too.

GMTM on WGR said "I have to improve the Blue Line this Offseason, that's on me and the scouts" After drafting three forwards in the first round, sounds like D is the way they are heading.

Would like to make a trade for young NHL DMan if he could. Interestingly He mentioned they don't have to be a number one, just a top 4 that can help on special teams.

Jack and Sam are the priorities on July 1, would prefer long term deals if money for both sides is acceptable

After them is Kane, he will depend on 15&23's deals and how much AAV any D Man brought in will need

Open to a one year deal with Gionta

Open to bringing Kulikov in a perfect world.

Also when the team falls out of contention, or further out, Fasching, Baptiste and Nylander will get a shot up here

GMTM on WGR said "I have to improve the Blue Line this Offseason, that's on me and the scouts" After drafting three forwards in the first round, sounds like D is the way they are heading.

Improve?  A complete overhaul is needed.   How you do that in one off-season?  No idea.   

Improve?  A complete overhaul is needed.   How you do that in one off-season?  No idea.

I'm not asking for the moon. All I want is Lydman and Tallinder reincarnated.

We've got two young keepers and the Bogosian reclamation project/contract anchor that is at least an NHL player.

Guhle/Borgen/Falk can battle for the sixth spot. We're probably stuck with Gorges at 7.

That leaves a free agent and a trade to fill two spots in the top four, unless by some miracle our first pick turns out to be a stud.

It won't be easy to grab two quality guys, but expansion and a flat cap may open up some possibilities that won't normally be there.

It will be I terestingto see how Murray does.

We've got two young keepers and the Bogosian reclamation project/contract anchor that is at least an NHL player.

Guhle/Borgen/Falk can battle for the sixth spot. We're probably stuck with Gorges at 7.

That leaves a free agent and a trade to fill two spots in the top four, unless by some miracle our first pick turns out to be a stud.

It won't be easy to grab two quality guys, but expansion and a flat cap may open up some possibilities that won't normally be there.

Yep, anybody would've drafted Eichel, Reinhart, and gone after O'Reilly etc... ultimately he'll be judged on hitting on mid-round picks, cap management, and filling out the roster with a healthy mix of vets and young players.

We aren't stuck with Gorges.  His buyout is only 1.3 for the next two years.  Time to let him go.

I agree on Tallinder and Lydman.  Lydman was one of Regier best acquisitions.  We need guys who can skate, play in our zone and move the puck up to the forwards.  That's all.  Hopefully Guhle will grow into the 2nd PP QB and Borgen into a Tallinder type player, but for now we need 2 players to bridge the gap for 2-3 years until they are fully ready.  

If you buy out Gorges and don't re-sign Kulikov and Franson, that gives a spot to Guhle and leaves 2 spots for the bridge players who could be acquired through trade or free agency.  

Still I can't wait til GMTM grabs another forward with our top pick, instead of the D we need.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

We aren't stuck with Gorges.  His buyout is only 1.3 for the next two years.  Time to let him go.

I agree on Tallinder and Lydman.  Lydman was one of Regier best acquisitions.  We need guys who can skate, play in our zone and move the puck up to the forwards.  That's all.  Hopefully Guhle will grow into the 2nd PP QB and Borgen into a Tallinder type player, but for now we need 2 players to bridge the gap for 2-3 years until they are fully ready.  

If you buy out Gorges and don't re-sign Kulikov and Franson, that gives a spot to Guhle and leaves 2 spots for the bridge players who could be acquired through trade or free agency.  

Still I can't wait til GMTM grabs another forward with our top pick, instead of the D we need.

One of those guys is already signed:  Falk.  He's not a second pairing guy, but he's steady and will be fine in the third pair.  I think Fedun may be a part of that bridge as well, although I'd kind of like to see more of a 2nd pair guy (and let Fedun stay in the AHL as defensive depth).

While Kane ROR Gionta is no 1st line, it's a line I'd happily march against anybody.

And it's amazing how one injury to the top five turns the forward lineup to .

Can't wait until the kids get good.

Edited by dudacek

W/out Okposo, #Sabres lines this morning:

Kane-ROR-Gionta

Foligno-Eichel-Reinhart

Ennis-Erod-Moulson

Deslauriers-Zemgus-Bailey

Figure Baptiste gets the call if Okposo is our for a while

Feels like it's been forever that I've posted a fun "imaginary lines" post, but here goes:

Kane-ROR-Gionta

Bailey-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-ERod-Moulson

Ennis-Zemgus-Baptiste

I think that'd be fun to watch for a game or two at least.  I might even flip Moulson and Baptiste just to double down on speed on that 3rd line.

I might even flip Moulson and Baptiste just to double down on speed on that 3rd line.

I would for sure.  The fourth line is there just to eat up maybe 10 minutes, hopefully without doing any harm.  Gus at center gives them the speed needed for defensive coverage and Ennis and Moulson have been around long enough to know when to forecheck and when to retreat.  Foligno-ERod-Baptiste becomes a fast, big, skilled third line that could take a bite out of an opponent's third line in lots of different ways.

Thanks. It's like we're kindred souls.

God knows he owes us.

That said, for him Buffalo may be a nightmare that he wants to put behind him.

Kulikov and Bogosian both have great physical skills and questionable mental skills.

With Dan's system known for being complex, should we be surprised they are much worse here than with their last team?

Maybe we can acquire two middle pairing defencemen - that's what they've been all their prior careers - just by firing Dan.

One more arrow squeezed in a bursting quiver to be used to slay the dragon known as Goober.

Re-sign Kulikov & Franson, talk Gorges into retirement / a coaching gig. Bring up Guhle. Falk (& Fedun?) as injury replacements. If Kulikov & Bogosian can play together under a different coach, the top 4 is settled. If not have Kuli play w/ Guhle or Fedun & let Franson play w/ Bogo. That should be good enough w/ all tge young forwards that are now that much closer to their prime.

If the D we need comes via the draft they should be ready in oh about 5-6 years

One more arrow squeezed in a bursting quiver to be used to slay the dragon known as Goober.

Re-sign Kulikov & Franson, talk Gorges into retirement / a coaching gig. Bring up Guhle. Falk (& Fedun?) as injury replacements. If Kulikov & Bogosian can play together under a different coach, the top 4 is settled. If not have Kuli play w/ Guhle or Fedun & let Franson play w/ Bogo. That should be good enough w/ all tge young forwards that are now that much closer to their prime.

I really don't get it. Y'all keep complaining about the D and the performance of the team, yet people keep saying to re-sign two of the players that contributed to the problem thinking somehow they will miraculously become good. Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

I really don't get it. Y'all keep complaining about the D and the performance of the team, yet people keep saying to re-sign two of the players that contributed to the problem thinking somehow they will miraculously become good. Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

What part of "the coach can't get it done" is the confusing part?

I'd expect Murray will make a move or 2 to upgrade the D at the draft (possibly at the Vegas draft) but if he doesn't if the D proposed in the post you were refering to is healthy next year (Bogosian playing 60 is healthy for him) that D will be good enough to get into the playoffs (& not just sneak in) w/ a GOOD coach.

With Bylsma next year, this team will sneak into the playoffs (simply due to the key guys like Eichel being that much closer to their prime) but they will be the team everybody wants to play against in the 1st round.

Firing Bylsma should NOT be considered to require a miracle to occur. That in itself will allow Ristolainen to play 3 minutes fewer per game which will keep his quality up. It also will allow guys like Kulikov & Bogosian to just play (structured) hockey rather than constantly have to overthink. (Don't take that to mean they should be playing Nolan's brand of shinny, but they shouldn't need PhD's to figure out what the coach wants to have happen.)

And there have been myriad examples of players "miraculously becoming good" when given a different coach brought up on this board. We get it. You like Bylsma and don't like Murray. While the jury is still out on Murray - his body of work isn't complete yet, you are wrong about Bylsma. He is NOT a good coach for this bunch.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.