2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I stopped reading when they listed David Legwand, C; Cody McCormick, C; Chad Johnson, G; Mark Pysyk, D; Matt Donovan, D as KEY departures, instead of just not listing them and saying no one that left this team made it worse.

But then I got bored so I went back and read it. That article blew. Seriously, it was bad. Just some jerkoff behind a keyboard, not watching any hockey, pulling "analytics" out of his ass.

If the Sabres finish within 10 points of dead last, please revisit this post and throw it in my face.

They weren't even 10 points from dead last this past season.

They weren't even 10 points from dead last this past season.

See, I can pull random sh!t out of my ass too!

How many points will last place get in a season where no one is obviously tanking?

Mid 60's? The Sabres will be at about 90, give or take 3.

I realize we don't have Doughty or Karlsson in the back but am I the only one who doesn't think we are atrocious in the backend??? Risto-Kulikov....Bogosian-McCabe and Gorges-Franson isn't all world but atrocious??? I can understand our depth at the position is not where we want it but I don't think we're as bad back there as some of these writers insinuate. Personally I think Lehner is the key to us making the playoffs or getting stuck in mediocrity.

Risto and Kulikov have both played well in the WHC, Bogosian and McCabe should be better in year 2 together and Gorges-Franson if nothing else should give us veteran positioning on the 3rd pair and I think they'll play well together as Franson seems the more offensive player of the 2 and Gorges the more defensive minded of the pairing. They'll get the weakest defensive assignments and be able to give the team some veteran leadership.

Analytics model predicts Sabres headed for a last-place finish:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/thn-s-2016-17-nhl-season-preview-buffalo-sabres

It also predicts that we will get 76pts this year and 84 is our max even though we got 81pts last year and lost the most 1 goal games of any team in the league... eyebrow raise now occurring. 

"Many of those players were a part of that team and this model – because it uses data from the last three seasons – hasn’t forgotten about it."

Well let's see... Kane, Jack, Sam, Ryan, Kyle, Dmitri and Jake were all not a part of the tank team so using numbers from that year are pretty useless statistically. 

Who the hell is Matt Donovan? We lost him and he was apparently a key piece so who was he?

DD said we have two roster spots that are completely wide open and they are 13th forward and 7th D.  

I thought that was really interesting.  However, if these are the two roster spots that the Sabres are looking to fill in camp, where does that put the possibility of a prospect making the team?  The Sabres won't want Bailey ridding the pine in Buffalo when he could be playing top line minutes in Roch.  From this, it sounds like guys like Schneider, COR or other mid range vets will get the nod at the forward job.  Maybe Bailey will be so good, the Sabres will be comfortable dropping Deslauriers to the 13th slot.

As to the 7th D.  Will the Sabres give Nelson a true chance to make the team?  I hope so.  

From what was posted on the Sabres official site re: training camp, it looks like the default lines to start, the ones that will get the first try, are:

Ennis - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Moulson - Girgensons - Deslauriers

Kulikov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Gorges - Franson

So there are two spots open apparently (really, 3: after adding in the two goalies, the roster is at 20, and it can go to 23. But I believe in general last year they were going with just 22. 1 forward and 1 D-man riding the pine).

So 13th forward and 7th D. I hope Bailey is the forward as I think he'd be pushing Deslauriers down to #13, and therefore not be the one being benched.

Whether he should or not, I don't think Nelson would replace Franson on the third pair, so I hope the 7th D man is a vet.

The lineup looks like much as we predicted. I agree that Bailey can beat out Deslauriers, but he isn't dominating in camp yet. I'd also like to see Eichel centering Ennis and Okposo, but knowing DD like we do how likely are any of these lines to last very long?

I think Eichel with Okposo would work really well, but I still prefer Eichel and Reinhart for now. I think those two are on another level for offensive zone hockey sense and the only two on the team that can fully equal the other in that regard. O'Reilly and Okposo and special players, but Eichel and Reinhart have that 6th sense in the offensive zone you don't see very often. I love watching them play together.

I think Eichel with Okposo would work really well, but I still prefer Eichel and Reinhart for now. I think those two are on another level for offensive zone hockey sense and the only two on the team that can fully equal the other in that regard. O'Reilly and Okposo and special players, but Eichel and Reinhart have that 6th sense in the offensive zone you don't see very often. I love watching them play together.

It's a good point and we certainly saw that at the end of last year as the two played very well together.  My rationale for essentially swapping Okposo for Reinhart is that I know Reinhart can also play well with ROR and I'd like to put Okposo with the closest player we have to Tavares. Jack's game reminds me of Tavares with the way he sees the ice, his shot and his willingness to back check.  I think people also forget that Ennis is historically as much of a scorer and he is a playmaker.  In 2013-15 Ennis scored 41 goals and assisted on 48.  Putting two guys who can score with Okposo to take advantage of his excellent passing ability really intrigues me.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

And the Moulson-free lineup

Ennis O'Reilly Okposo

Girgensons Eichel Reinhart

Kane Larsson Gionta

Foligno Grant Fasching

Kulikov Ristolainen

Gorges Bogosian

McCabe Franson

Lehner

Deslauriers is the spare forward. Subs in on the fourth line.

Foligno or Fasching move up if there is an injury, Girgensons moves over if it's to a centre.

The spare defenceman is irrelevant. He only plays in an emergency.

Nelson gets called up for any extended injuries.

PP1 is Risto at the point, Jack and ROR wide, Reino low and Okposo in the high slot

PP2 I Franson at the point, Ennis on the half wall, with the Larsson line.

ROR/Girgs, Larsson/Kane, Gionta/Grant/Foligno up front on the PK with our regular D pairs

Moulson can't play on a traditional fourth line; if he's on the team it's because he can still contribute offensively.

In that case I'd give him a spot down low on PP unit two (ahead of Gionta), put Fasching on a sheltered all-German kid line and roll four lines.

Kane ROR Okposo

Fasching Eichel Reinhart

Moulson Girgensons Ennis

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Edited by dudacek

Ennis O'Reilly Okposo

Kane Larsson Gionta

Foligno Grant Fasching

Kulikov Ristolainen

Gorges Bogosian

McCabe Franson

Lehner

This is the best-looking realistic lineup I've seen, assuming Grant is the real deal as a 4C and Fasching is ready. I think this is what I want.

This is the best-looking realistic lineup I've seen, assuming Grant is the real deal as a 4C and Fasching is ready. I think this is what I want.

I'm one of I think many on here who like the idea of Kane and Larsson, and I really like the potential of line four to pin lesser blueliners in their own zone.

I just can't envision Bylsma opening the season with Kane on Larsson's wing. Maybe by game 15.

Edit: Didn't he also say something about keeping Girgensons at center? Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th with Des on the wing and Grant as the extra.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I just can't envision Bylsma opening the season with Kane on Larsson's wing. Maybe by game 15.

Edit: Didn't he also say something about keeping Girgensons at center? Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th with Des on the wing and Grant as the extra.

When has Dan ever done what we wanted?

I guess he did move Gionta to the third line. It only took 50 games.

Ennis O'Reilly Okposo

Kane Larsson Gionta

Foligno Grant Fasching

Kulikov Ristolainen

Gorges Bogosian

McCabe Franson

Lehner

Deslauriers is the spare forward. Subs in on the fourth line.

Foligno or Fasching move up if there is an injury, Girgensons moves over if it's to a centre.

The spare defenceman is irrelevant. He only plays in an emergency.

Nelson gets called up for any extended injuries.

PP1 is Risto at the point, Jack and ROR wide, Reino low and Okposo in the high slot

PP2 I Franson at the point, Ennis on the half wall, with the Larsson line.

ROR/Girgs, Larsson/Kane, Gionta/Grant/Foligno up front on the PK with our regular D pairs

Good line-up, I like it.

Moulson can't play on a traditional fourth line; if he's on the team it's because he can still contribute offensively.

In that case I'd give him a spot down low on PP unit two (ahead of Gionta), put Fasching on a sheltered all-German kid line and roll four lines.

Kane ROR Okposo

Fasching Eichel Reinhart

Moulson Girgensons Ennis

Foligno Larsson Gionta

All German?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.