Pysyk is Back

bob_sauve28

No, it's good.  It's been discussed in the Roster thread. 

Has there been an update on McCabe?  He missed the last 8 minutes of the last game with a LBI.

If Pysser is replacing McCabe, it's only a modest upgrade at best.  If he nudges Weber/Coco to the bench, it's a huge step up for our defense.

Sounds like McCabe is okay, so this could be huge for the good guys.

I think having Pysyk back is going to be huge. Not only does it take Weber/Carlos out, but we should be able to actually get the puck out and, I can't stress this enough, move that little bastard up the ice. The value of a puck moving defender will be on full display in the upcoming weeks

Risto - Pysyk

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Bylsma wasn't happy how the 1st D line cleared the zone, Look for Gorges to be demoted.

I doubt that happens for two reasons. The first being Pysyk just came back from an injury, and is a rookie; I doubt he gets thrown into the first pair in his first game back, especially as he wasn't there before. Secondly, Pysyk and McCabe worked very well together.

Risto - Pysyk

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Bylsma wasn't happy how the 1st D line cleared the zone, Look for Gorges to be demoted.

These pairings give me wood.

I doubt that happens

What about

Risto - McCabe

Pysyk - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

?

I know there's the McCable-Pysyk chemistry, but I'd like to see how McCabe reacts to the responsibility.  He's being playing well for the most part.  Give him a few games there and see how he handles it.

These pairings give me wood.

What about

Risto - McCabe

Pysyk - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

?

I know there's the McCable-Pysyk chemistry, but I'd like to see how McCabe reacts to the responsibility. He's being playing well for the most part. Give him a few games there and see how he handles it.

Hadn't thought of that, but I'd love it. Gorges can, hopefully, control that pair as opposed to Franson leading Weber and a physical McCabe goes well with Risto

I think having Pysyk back is going to be huge. Not only does it take Weber/Carlos out, but we should be able to actually get the puck out and, I can't stress this enough, move that little bastard up the ice. The value of a puck moving defender will be on full display in the upcoming weeks .

totally agree. Get it up ice and all the forwards should do better.

Risto - Pysyk

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Aargh. Gorges and Fanson. Slow and slower. They are a half-step away from having to play with those training skate "walkers" I see down at Canal Side. 

Sheeeeeessshhh.  You'd think Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey were lacing 'em up for the Sabres tonight instead of a 15-min-per-game 3rd pairing guy who may or may not average 20 pts per season in his NHL career.

He is like an offensive lineman in football nobody notices. He doesn't make the mistakes that stand out. He you don't take notice of him for a whole game its because he just does his job and well. 

Sheeeeeessshhh.  You'd think Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey were lacing 'em up for the Sabres tonight instead of a 15-min-per-game 3rd pairing guy who may or may not average 20 pts per season in his NHL career.

Without prejudice: why has Bylsma utilized him as such?

Is it because Bylsma has player use issues, or because that is what he is?

In terms of complementary skillsets, it should be Pysyk and Bogo.

Would you really think that?

I don't think anyone would think that.

C'mon. We're a basement dwelling team that is welcoming back a quiet, steady guy who can mos def play in the current team's top 4 (and is maybe a 4/5 on a contending team) and who, by all accounts, drives possession in our favor.

Without prejudice: why has Bylsma utilized him as such?

Is it because Bylsma has player use issues, or because that is what he is?

In terms of complementary skillsets, it should be Pysyk and Bogo.

Would you drop McCabe to the 3rd pairing in favor of Pysyk?  I wouldn't.

Would you really think that?

I don't think anyone would think that.

C'mon. We're a basement dwelling team that is welcoming back a quiet, steady guy who can mos def play in the current team's top 4 (and is maybe a 4/5 on a contending team) and who, by all accounts, drives possession in our favor.

Well, I agree that most of our esteemed colleagues here like Pysyk's game more than I do, but facts is facts.  He has one stinking point this year and plays 3rd-pair minutes.  Nor has he produced offense earlier in his career at lower levels. 

He adds some value and I'm not casting aspersions on his fancystats -- and as you point out a basement dweller can always use another NHL-level defenseman -- but I just think we're entering "concept of" territory here in this thread.

Your 4 RD's.... Risto-Bogo-Franson-Pysyk

Your 4 LD's..... Gorges-McCabe-Weber-Colo

It will be interesting if anything much changes besides Pysyk getting a few minutes here and there until DB has faith in him to handle 3rd line minutes. I don't foresee him getting left side minutes though. When he's ready it looks like Franson may be the recipient of the odd man out.

I just think we're entering "concept of" territory here in this thread.

Hmm. Fair point. Be vigilant, fellow 'Spacers!

20 points today equals 100 points in the 70s.  It's simple math.

:w00t:

Neither would I. I'd drop Bogosian.

Hell yeah.

When's that guy going to show something?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.