Pysyk is Back

bob_sauve28

I never said it was happening. I just think it should.

Seriously though, if you want to label someone a concept, Bogosian is front and center.

Bogo hasn't played particularly well this season, but it's worth remembering that he's got a new coach, new system, new goalies and bunch of new teammates -- and he missed all of camp and a good chunk of the season.  I'm pretty confident that he'll come around.

“I know some of the numbers and statistics that our team had when Mark was in the lineup. Our best possession game coincides with Mark being in the lineup, so I think we’ve been decent in possession and around average in the league, but I know the numbers with Mark were a lot better and that’s something we have missed with him out of the lineup.”

Straight from the horses mouth 

Bogo hasn't played particularly well this season, but it's worth remembering that he's got a new coach, new system, new goalies and bunch of new teammates -- and he missed all of camp and a good chunk of the season.  I'm pretty confident that he'll come around.

I like him, but a guy with that mix of skating and power should be better than what he is.

When he plays it safe he neutralizes his gifts. When he tries to make a difference he makes mistakes.

I think the coaching staff should unleash him, but that doesn't seem to be Bylsma's MO.

Capturing his potential should be Terry Murray's pet project.

Edited by dudacek

Your 4 RD's.... Risto-Bogo-Franson-Pysyk

Your 4 LD's..... Gorges-McCabe-Weber-Colo

It will be interesting if anything much changes besides Pysyk getting a few minutes here and there until DB has faith in him to handle 3rd line minutes. I don't foresee him getting left side minutes though. When he's ready it looks like Franson may be the recipient of the odd man out.

If I remember right, Pysyk played all last season on the left in Rochester, probably since the Sabres knew that was a needed position and they wanted to see if he could do it. He definitely bumps Weber and Cola on most nights. If he can play steady and solid when Risto skates into the zone, the Sabres could have something.

I like him, but a guy with that mix of skating and power should be better than what he is.

When he plays it safe he neutralizes his gifts. When he tries to make a difference he makes mistakes.

I think the coaching staff should unleash him, but that doesn't seem to be Bylsma's MO.

Capturing his potential should be Terry Murray's pet project.

Agreed. I place Bogo's lack of impact squarely on DDB's shoulders. He's got Bogo playing too passive.

Risto - Pysyk

McCabe - Bogo

Gorges - Franson

Bylsma wasn't happy how the 1st D line cleared the zone, Look for Gorges to be demoted.

Is this actually happening?   I love it!     That top 4 gives a huge boost in speed on the back-end which this team is sorely lacking.      Now, just add in Tyson Barrie and somebody like Guhle in a season or two, and we're set.     

There's been (understandably) a bit of disappointment in Bogosian this year so far, and I had been feeling the same way. But lately it does seem like he is coming around a little bit. I don't have the stats to back it up but the eye test, to me at least, seems to say Bogosian is starting to come around. I'd like to see:

Gorges - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Pysyk - Franson

I think with Pysyk's steadiness on the third pairing, we would actually have 3 fairly solid D pairings.

There's been (understandably) a bit of disappointment in Bogosian this year so far, and I had been feeling the same way. But lately it does seem like he is coming around a little bit. I don't have the stats to back it up but the eye test, to me at least, seems to say Bogosian is starting to come around. I'd like to see:

Gorges - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Pysyk - Franson

I think with Pysyk's steadiness on the third pairing, we would actually have 3 fairly solid D pairings.

If Risto is going against the top line every night I would want to give him a better partner to make it more shut down worthy 

If Risto is going against the top line every night I would want to give him a better partner to make it more shut down worthy 

I agree, but we are weak on the left side right now. I'd rather have Gorges there than McCabe currently, as McCabe makes too many rookie mistakes. If Pysyk switches effectively to the left side, I could see Pysyk - Ristolainen as the top pair later this season. But until Pysyk has adjusted and is a regular in our line-up again, I think that leaves Gorges as the best option.

Edited by Thorny

Wait, do you mean McCabe is less prepared for the top pairing than Pysyk?

I would say yes. McCabe has higher upside but right now makes more mistakes than Pysyk. While less dynamic, it would be easier I think to trust Pysyk with top pairs minutes at the present time, IMO.

Wait, do you mean McCabe is less prepared for the top pairing than Pysyk?

No, I meant Gorges, in reference to your suggestion we drop Gorges to the third pair and move McCabe to the first.

But I do think Pysyk is also better prepared for the top pair than McCabe. I'm mostly basing that on his play when he and Ehrhoff were our top pair.

No, I meant Gorges, in reference to your suggestion we drop Gorges to the third pair and move McCabe to the first.

But I do think Pysyk is also better prepared for the top pair than McCabe. I'm mostly basing that on his play when he and Ehrhoff were our top pair.

Not sure why that baffled me on my first read through  :doh:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.