Happy New Year!

GoPre

Ok, a day early for New Years Eve, but figured I'd start a thread for this since there was one for Christmas. Any of you have traditions? Family and I stay at the house, munch on a bunch of wings, cut up pepperoni and all kinds of cheese. Can't forget about the rotel. Always enjoy the countdown. Any how, happy new year! 

Happy New Year to all of those out there in our corner of the internet.  May 2016 be healthy and prosperous.

For us, we're taking the kids to the local community centre for a magic show, followed by swimming and jumping castles.  There's a kids countdown at 9pm.  Then once in bed, the adults can bust out some of the good stuff for the real countdown :beer:

We dont really do anything for NYE anymore. I guess the one benefit of the evening is my preferred hangout is usually pretty quiet until 11pm or so, so we'll get a few hrs at the bar without any crowd to speak of. When the ameteurs start to show up, we'll head for home.

Tux and pucks, then get drunk somewhere, maybe chop house.... See where our group made surprise reservations, each year someone is in charge of getting reservations after the game, no one else knows about until we are there, we all go for food and drink and it usually turns into a blast.

Then, hangover

Stuck inside with crutches, ###### idiot that I am. Still going to get myself a nice hangover though

If you were near, I'd share a drink with ya, fellow crutcher. But beware the hangover- you do not want to be repeatedly ill when crutches are your only mode of locomotion... 

I always work on NYE. Once upon a time we would all get out of work at 2am, go to a party at one of my bosses house til about 4, and then heat to a 24 hour bar til about noon. Then sleep til about 5pm on new years day.

These days I still work, but we don't go out anymore. I'll leave that to the kids. I don't party anymore. But I'm OK with it.

If you were near, I'd share a drink with ya, fellow crutcher. But beware the hangover- you do not want to be repeatedly ill when crutches are your only mode of locomotion...

I find crutches wayyy harder than I thought they'd be. I have an MRI next week, and it's feeling better in certain angles. Sorry I forgot, what was your injury again? IIRC it was hockey related

My brother said he'd stay back and chill with me, maybe we can drag a few of his friends with us

Ok, a day early for New Years Eve, but figured I'd start a thread for this since there was one for Christmas. Any of you have traditions? Family and I stay at the house, munch on a bunch of wings, cut up pepperoni and all kinds of cheese. Can't forget about the rotel. Always enjoy the countdown. Any how, happy new year! 

Nothing special. Did the wing thing for Christmas Eve so tomorrow is ribeye night! Gonna go pick up a couple of 2" ribeyes and make some fresh cut french fries. I don't make resolutions, when I feel I need to improve on something, I'll do it then. Probably end up with lots of food, music and then sit down to bitch about how watered down and commercialized Times Square has gotten. Followed by the usual gripes about the terrible bands that play afterwards. :D

I haven't gone out on New Year's Eve for many years, but still have a couple of traditions - I usually get some shrimp, cheese, chips, pepperoni, chip dip, etc. and "Eat the old year out" and then "eat the new year in".  (Yeah, minds out of the gutter, please...)  It's supposed to make it so you won't go hungry in the new year or some such. 

The other tradition is to eat pork on New Year's Day.  The reasoning is that you don't want to eat meat from an animal like a chicken that scratches backwards to find its food (i.e., looking backwards to the old year).  You want to have meat from an animal that roots forward for its food, like a pig (i.e., moving forward in the new year). Hence, tomorrow will be stuffed pork chops and sauerkraut.  That's just about my favorite home-cooked meal, anyway.

Happy 2016 to all SabreSpace cadets, the Sabres, the Pegulas and the City of Buffalo!!  Let's look forward to an awesome year!  :thumbsup:

I find crutches wayyy harder than I thought they'd be. I have an MRI next week, and it's feeling better in certain angles. Sorry I forgot, what was your injury again? IIRC it was hockey related

My brother said he'd stay back and chill with me, maybe we can drag a few of his friends with us

You'll get the hang of them. Luckily, the winter has been mild, so slush/ice hasn't really been a huge deal and hopefully won't be! They're kinda like doing the parallel bars- you don't rest your armpits, you push up from your hands. They'll give you some awesome arm/back muscles too! ;)

Broke my leg, had to get 4 screws in it. Getting close to walking again. Best of luck! 

JJ --  Nice!  I've got a couple solid Choice Ribeyes for this evening as well, although not as honkin' as those maf's.

I'm a bit of a scrooge for the NYE "holiday".  A bit of a fabricated holiday... kinda like Valentine's Day.  Besides, the liturgical new year has already begun! :angel:

I actually went to bed before midnight the past two years.  (It helped being in the central time zone.)

This year, I'll be takin' it easy, just watchin' the Michigan State game and grillin' steak.

Be safe tonight, y'all.

JJ --  Nice!  I've got a couple solid Choice Ribeyes for this evening as well, although not as honkin' as those maf's.

I'm a bit of a scrooge for the NYE "holiday".  A bit of a fabricated holiday... kinda like Valentine's Day.  Besides, the liturgical new year has already begun! :angel:

I actually went to bed before midnight the past two years.  (It helped being in the central time zone.)

This year, I'll be takin' it easy, just watchin' the Michigan State game and grillin' steak.

Be safe tonight, y'all.

I agree with you on the fabricated holidays. But, it is a fine excuse to overindulge. :D

Here's to a better 2016.  Heaven knows I'm ready for better.  On the ice, and at home.

Starting 2016 off with a bang I hope.  I'll be on the water at dawn tomorrow, 30 degrees, a bit of wind, and steelhead in the streams.  Fly rods and willing trout.  Therapy for a lousy year.

Edited by We've

Mrs. Racer decided to host a little get together on the 1st. Got the pre-party honey do list last night, which meant nothing fun on NYE.

But....

I got the make up statement just minutes ago.

*Honey, I got a full tank of gas and a little money in my purse. What are you thinking for Sunday afternoon?*

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.