Five ways to improve the game for the fans

dudacek

So you want more offence? Here are some ideas to debate during the long break, or add some more of your own:

1) Completely rebuild goalie equipment to make it form-fitting:

Eliminate the extra surface area on the blocker. Same for the cheaters on the trapper. Reduce the catching part of the trapper to the size of an old baseball glove. Shave back the extra width on the goal stick. Make the leg pads a maximum two inches wider than the legs and cut off the tops so they don't automatically close the five hole. Streamline the padding so it protects with the minimum amount of bulk.

In short, make the goalies the size of regular human beings again without all the gadgets they have added over the years to give them an edge on the shooter. Reward shooters who can take accurate shots instead of "throw it to the net and pile on" hockey. Make defenders defend the shooter on the perimeter instead of collapsing to the net. Force goalies to make saves instead of blocking shots.

2) Eliminate offsides:

Take the blueline out of the game altogether and allow forward passing anywhere in the rink.

It will get rid of the unnecessary stoppage in play (and the painful reviews). Open the ice to create more offence off the rush. Create space for the passers to exploit and the puckhandlers to dangle in. Tear down the wall defences use to support the neutral zone trap. Lengthen and intensify periods of zone-time pressure.

3) Allow players to kick the puck in:

Players can uses their feet anywhere else on the ice. Make it harder for the defenders who rely on tying up sticks. Reward athletic plays. Eliminate drawn-out replays.

4) Force goalies to stay in their crease at all times:

No more coming out to set up a play for the defenceman or eliminate the forecheck. No more charging out to take away a breakaway. Reduce the ability to come way out to cut down the angles. At the same time, protect the keepers by further restricting the presence of skaters in the crease. You can reach in with a stick, but your skate can't touch the blue. It's a penalty if you enter the crease without being pushed. You may have to redraw the crease to maximize the effect.

5) Increase the importance of offensive zone faceoffs:

Force every defensive player other than the centre to line up on the goal line. Make every offensive player besides the centre line up at the blue line. Watch the exciting scoring chances and set plays that result from all that prime open ice. Watch the mad scrambles to get into position. Watch the fewer whistles as coaches discourage goalies from freezing pucks to stop play.

Make the blue line on the way in to the offensive zone the same as it is on the way out. Once the puck is within the blue line you can do a triple salchow and still be onsides. No kicking (dangerous plus weird/awkward), but I do understand your frustration there. Make goalies smaller with equipment and this really shouldn't be difficult. Smaller equipment can still be safe. Personally, I hear JW and others immediately dismiss larger nets. Why would increasing the height by 1-2 inches and width by the same be a bad idea? Maybe 1 puck every other game goes in because the net is a little larger. You would not visibly notice the difference, but actual shots from the slot and beyond would go in with a little more frequency.

I like:

1. Goalies have swung the pendulum to far the way of over-sized on equipment size.

3. Let them kick at it. They do all over the ice anyway. 

5. I like to see that in an AHL setting. It does peak my interest.

Basketball made it illegal to use a zone defense in the pros years ago. It stifled defense when the worlds best just crashed the net. The NHL could adopt a similar rule. No 1-2-2, neutral zone trap, left wing lock. Make it  Man on Man only.

So you want more offence? Here are some ideas to debate during the long break, or add some more of your own:

2) Eliminate offsides:

Take the blueline out of the game altogether and allow forward passing anywhere in the rink.

It will get rid of the unnecessary stoppage in play (and the painful reviews). Open the ice to create more offence off the rush. Create space for the passers to exploit and the puckhandlers to dangle in. Tear down the wall defences use to support the neutral zone trap. Lengthen and intensify periods of zone-time pressure.

Love this! But I'd make it so you could not pass from your zone to offensive zone. You have to clear your own zone before you pass to a player in attacking zone. Also, if the puck is knocked out of the zone the offensive players have to get out but could come right back in with the puck not being in zone. It gives defense a chance to get a breather. 

Make all the players eat borscht before each and every game.

...I'm not sure how that would increase scoring though.

Love this! But I'd make it so you could not pass from your zone to offensive zone. You have to clear your own zone before you pass to a player in attacking zone. Also, if the puck is knocked out of the zone the offensive players have to get out but could come right back in with the puck not being in zone. It gives defense a chance to get a breather. 

An alternative is to get rid of the blue lines and use the red line for offsides in each zone.  It'd make the linesmen job a lot easier too (one on each side of the red line).

Make all the players eat borscht before each and every game.

...I'm not sure how that would increase scoring though.

An alternative is to get rid of the blue lines and use the red line for offsides in each zone.  It'd make the linesmen job a lot easier too (one on each side of the red line).

That actually sounds good

1) Completely rebuild goalie equipment to make it form-fitting:

2) Eliminate offsides:

3) Allow players to kick the puck in:

4) Force goalies to stay in their crease at all times:

5) Increase the importance of offensive zone faceoffs:

1.  I'm in

2.  I'm out

3.  I'm in

4.  I'm in and I'm intrigued

5.  I'm out

I only agree with 1 and 3.     However, wrt goalie equipment, I'm OK with the cheater pads on the globe and blocker, but the goalie pads need to be made shorter.   Agree about the pants, but most importantly the chest protector needs to be reduced, see..... http://news.yahoo.com/nhl-proposal-could-limit-goalies-pad-numbers-085604058--spt.html

"The NHL and the NHL Players Association are in discussions to standardize goalie gear based on a player's size. The proposed rules would regulate pants, all upper body pads and potentially introduce a more form-fitting jersey.

Goalies would have their equipment approved by the NHL, rather than dealing directly with manufacturers as they do now."

I agree with letting them kick the puck in AND make hand passes legal everywhere.    Reward the skill plays.

Make powerplays last the entire 2 minutes regardless of how many times you score.

I can't ###### believe those who agree with kicking the puck into the net. It's not hockey anymore. And it's dangerous. Why not glove it in then?

Good thought-provoking post though.

The thing is most kicks aren't really full wind up and kick.. It's more kicking motion and redirection and I am fine with that.  High sticks too..  Any which way  you beat the goalie is fine by me except interfering physically with his body

The thing is most kicks aren't really full wind up and kick.. It's more kicking motion and redirection and I am fine with that.  High sticks too..  Any which way  you beat the goalie is fine by me except interfering physically with his body

You legalize kicks and it's going to get crazy out there. No thanks. I'd be more inclined to agree with allowing a high stick on a goal, but there are safety concerns there too.

Edited by pASabreFan

You legalize kicks and it's going to get crazy out there. No thanks. I'd be more inclined to agree with allowing a high stick on a goal, but there are safety concerns there too.

come on, how cool would a bicycle kick be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.