Rasmus Ristolainen - What's he worth?

LGR4GM

If you are Jack Eichel - scoring doesn't matter because you are a ######. If you are Ryan O'Reilly heart and soul doesn't matter because you lack scoring prowess. See how that works?

Well, now, wait a sec. I think GoDD's point is a finer one. I think he's potentially in favour of over-paying for an inner-core-of-one (does a team go out as far as stiff mantle?), but he's pointing out that paying for that guy will limit other choices you can make.

These are things that I am confident GM TM has considered, and has sketched out in his (evolving) long-term plan. GM TM just needs to bet on the right horses. 

In a league where superstars get over $10 million per year, O'Reilly-types are absolutely worth the $7.5 million range. The better players are going to take up a higher percentage of the cap than in years past, just the way it is. What it really means is you can't afford to pay your 4th liners $2 million (I'm lookin' at you, Marcus Foligno).

Good stuff.

But there are presently just the two players with cap hits of $10M, yeah? And a few others at $9M?

Edited by That Aud Smell

Well, now, wait a sec. I think GoDD's point is a finer one. I think he's potentially in favour of over-paying for an inner-core-of-one (does a team go out as far as stiff mantle?), but he's pointing out that paying for that guy will limit other choices you can make.

These are things that I am confident GM TM has considered, and has sketched out in his (evolving) long-term plan. GM TM just needs to bet on the right horses.

Good stuff.

But there are presently just the two players with cap hits of $10M, yeah? And a few others at $9M?

Yes, but they're also the only two stars to sign extensions this past offseason where all of the contract years are UFA years. Watch what Stamkos and Kopitar get for next season. I'll be positively shocked if either of them come in under $10 million.

That does nothing beneficial for the salary cap. In fact, if the $'s decrease too much at the back end, it actually ends up worse for the cap if he doesn't play for the entire contract length.

I was thinking spend more up front and when some other players come up for contracts it would help to fit them under the cap. Is there really a danger of Risto not playing out a 7-8 year contract? Nobody else is up for a raise like that for a few years atleast so there is cap space for now. I admit I do not have a working knowledge of the cap and how exactly the money is allocated and accounted for. Whatever happened to the bridge deal geez, that's a lot of money to pay a kid, even one as talented as Risto or Jack

I was thinking spend more up front and when some other players come up for contracts it would help to fit them under the cap. Is there really a danger of Risto not playing out a 7-8 year contract? Nobody else is up for a raise like that for a few years atleast so there is cap space for now. I admit I do not have a working knowledge of the cap and how exactly the money is allocated and accounted for. Whatever happened to the bridge deal geez, that's a lot of money to pay a kid, even one as talented as Risto or Jack

All the $'s committed to a contract are averaged out over the life of the contract so (except for very rare exceptions) the contract cap hit is identical every year regardless as to how they are actually paid out.

As for the bridge deal, what of Risto's play the past 3 years indicates that this year is the significant aberation and he'll regress? Go bridge deal and you'll very likely be looking at $9MM+ cap hits after that barring career trajectory altering injury.

Rasmus is getting a raise. I big freaking raise. So you can sign him for up to 8 years... how many years and how much money?

I say 7.25mil X8 years.

Before tonights Redwings game for defenders:

5th in goals

7th in assists

5th in points

9th in ppp

8th in shots and

20th in TOI

tree fitttty........whatever it takes to keep him here. 7+ seems right.

My opinion:

Do 8x7 if you can get it.  Don't do a bridge because we'll end up paying more over 8 years and 2 contracts (bridge and follow-up extension that will be needed) than we would with an 8x7 now.  Don't just let him play out his entry level deal and then pay him because that will be more expensive as well.  8x7 does a few things:

1) acknowledges that he's a long term organizational cornerstone.

2) rewards his play and gives him a huge raise from his entry level deal.

3) because of 1 and 2 he will likely be amenable to an 8x7 that would potentially give us a decent break in the future when we're hopefully contending, Risto is out playing his contract, and we need all the cap space we can get to lock up other key pieces.

Good stuff.

Yes

I'm fine with O'Reilly. You can average him in with guys like Deslauries and Georges. 3 men at an average of 4 mil. On pace for the cap.

If you are going to give Ristolainin 7 mil, and he is just a 2~3 type of dman, good luck finding a true 1 for 10 mil and a true 1 center if Eichel is just another good player.

It's like picking a spouse.

If she's hot, odds are she can't cook and is somewhat demanding. If you are going to marry a 185lb Buffalo girl, it's all good if she's funny, can cook, and give a good bj.

O'Reilly is the good fattie. Ristolainen is sort of hot, but always needs to consult his mom on every decision and talks with a vocal fry.

All the $'s committed to a contract are averaged out over the life of the contract so (except for very rare exceptions) the contract cap hit is identical every year regardless as to how they are actually paid out.

As for the bridge deal, what of Risto's play the past 3 years indicates that this year is the significant aberation and he'll regress? Go bridge deal and you'll very likely be looking at $9MM+ cap hits after that barring career trajectory altering injury.

I see, thanks. Pay the kid then, no bridge deal

Yes

I'm fine with O'Reilly. You can average him in with guys like Deslauries and Georges. 3 men at an average of 4 mil. On pace for the cap.

If you are going to give Ristolainin 7 mil, and he is just a 2~3 type of dman, good luck finding a true 1 for 10 mil and a true 1 center if Eichel is just another good player.

This is helpful.

If she's hot, odds are she can't cook and is somewhat demanding. If you are going to marry a 185lb Buffalo girl, it's all good if she's funny, can cook, and give a good bj.

O'Reilly is the good fattie. Ristolainen is sort of hot, but always needs to consult his mom on every decision and talks with a vocal fry.

This, much less so.

Somehow, GoDD's metaphors always have the same basic theme and can fit any situation interchangeably. 

If 14 year backdiving contracts were still a thing, I'd agree. But today, it's just not true. In a league where superstars get over $10 million per year, O'Reilly-types are absolutely worth the $7.5 million range. The better players are going to take up a higher percentage of the cap than in years past, just the way it is. What it really means is you can't afford to pay your 4th liners $2 million (I'm lookin' at you, Marcus Foligno).

And you sho 'nuff can't blow $5MM per year on Moulson.

Here's a very solid breakdown on why ROR is paid what he's worth, why he's not Gorges or Des, and his relative pay to the rest of the league

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23462-ryan-oreilly-and-jamie-mcginn-traded-to-sabres/?p=742295

(this is where we should pray for larger than expected cap increases, and for Murray to smartly give Risto and Girgs long-term deals rather than bridge contracts). 

an exceptional assessment, i think. well, except, maybe for this piece.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Hey, I can't be held responsible for Bylsma thinking he's Jordan Staal defensively and stripping him of all offensive opportunity. Well I can be, but I shouldn't be! And I want to be right, dammit!

Ahh, I see. What's Girg's offensive zone start #?

(I should look it up, but it sounds like you might know.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.