Tank 3.0

inkman

We added an all star center, two rooks with elite prospect status, a RW with damned near elite level talent, and Risto has shown frequent flashes of all star capability. Bottom 5 is a disappointment with that much incoming talent IMO. If the last quarter of the season shows that goaltending was a major part of the record, I'll relax. Otherwise............

Mostly agree, but I think we have a tendency to see the talent and ceiling of Sam and Jack instead of their age and what they are now.

I think this team becomes a playoff team simply by watching them mature.

Not that I'm content with that.

Edited by dudacek

We added an all star center, two rooks with elite prospect status, a RW with damned near elite level talent, and Risto has shown frequent flashes of all star capability.  Bottom 5 is a disappointment with that much incoming talent IMO.  If the last quarter of the season shows that goaltending was a major part of the record, I'll relax.  Otherwise............

Unfortunately, losing ROR for 3-4 weeks probably means bottom 5 is to be expected now. It's a huge loss, obviously. I think it hurts development as well as Reinhart and Eichel are now less sheltered. Just an all around kick in the nuts.

Point of a tank is to get elite talent, not to have the depth to fill in for minor absences.

I see your point, however losing ROR for a month is not a minor absence.     BUF doesn't have enough elite talent to make up for it.    It's not an intentional "tank" in the traditional sense, but w/o ROR I don't see how they finish out of the bottom 3.... call it a tank or not, it is what it is.

yep, 13 points out while playing 2 more games than most PLUS O'Reilly being out........that pretty much does it for me.

Let's be realistic here. Through Feb 21, 2016 the Sabres have a 0.2% chance of making the playoffs. The GM must sell before the trade deadline to recover something from the pending UFA's. It only makes sense from a practical point of view to finish as close to the bottom as possible to increase the odds for a better draft position. I know the players will give 100% to try to win every game and I'm not talking about players tanking at all. The management must realize that this is not their year to shine. Maybe the lottery will reward the Sabres this year after the last two years of being unlucky at the draft. (The thought of Edmonton winning again makes me want to scream!)

Murray must let trade away McGinn, Johnson, Weber, etc. and whoever can bring something back in return. He can try to re-sign McGinn in the summer. The season started with promise, but who knew Ennis would be hurt all year and who predicted Moulson would implode so spectacularly?

If I were GM, I would sell or trade players who I felt had no future with team looking out two or more years. Everyone but the core group of about 10 players could possibly be moved. Murray depleted the stockpile of assets he inherited really quickly to get Kane and O'Reilly. Now it's time for him to prove his worth going forward.  

With a top 3 pick, the future could get brighter much sooner than picking 8th or later.

I see your point, however losing ROR for a month is not a minor absence.     BUF doesn't have enough elite talent to make up for it.    It's not an intentional "tank" in the traditional sense, but w/o ROR I don't see how they finish out of the bottom 3.... call it a tank or not, it is what it is.

They're not finishing in the bottom 3......

I'd say we're maybe 50/50 to end up in 5th from the bottom now that ROR is out.  Toronto, Edmonton and Columbus are just horrible teams and I can't see them passing us.  Throw in our easy schedule down the stretch and I'll be shocked if we end up in the bottom 3.

Point of a tank is to get elite talent, not to have the depth to fill in for minor absences.

If you want your tank to be successful there are two parts:

1) elite talent - that's the major part.

2) sell off all of the rotten core for as many draft picks as possible. You either turn those draft picks into prospects who will hopefully be on your 23 man roster or be valuable call-ups when injuries happen or you use them to facilitate trades for actually NHL talent.

If you do #1 without #2 you become the Oilers.

If you want your tank to be successful there are two parts:

1) elite talent - that's the major part.

2) sell off all of the rotten core for as many draft picks as possible. You either turn those draft picks into prospects who will hopefully be on your 23 man roster or be valuable call-ups when injuries happen or you use them to facilitate trades for actually NHL talent.

If you do #1 without #2 you become the Oilers.

One of those is a standard rebuild, the other is a tank

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.