Rasmus Ristolainen: A star is born?

dudacek

Were there a lot of them? True hated him the most from what I remember

I don't think he hated him; he was worried about the effects of surgery that Josh underwent in the offseason, especially when speed was already not his best attribute. A lot of people were. 

I think Josh has played great this year. I joke about his inability to get point shots through sometimes, but I know that's not what he's here for, and he does a great job holding the fort while letting Risto do his thing. The only thing I would complain about is that Dan puts him out in OT, when all of our other defensemen are faster (except maybe Franson?) But that's not Josh's decision.

TBH I haven't really paid attention to him, I think I'll start next game. He talked today in an interview about the affects of that surgery on him, and how he's just now getting back to where he was. That and he said it's actually fun and meaningful to play this year

DD's OT decisions could be an entire thread.

If Rasmus becomes the best defender from his draft class, I think we should be very happy indeed. He's gotta keep improving though and make sure his game stays consistent.  So far I have enjoyed how reliable he has been. At the 3 year mark this is exactly when he should be showing if he has what it takes. So far I am impressed. 61% defensive zone starts and a 45% corsi aren't bad at all for a 21 year old defender.  Especially if you compare it to Nurse and Jones. Nurse isn't even in the same league and Jones starts 56.8% of his shifts in the Ozone plus he is playing 2nd/3rd line minutes because he is behind Josi and Weber. 

If Rasmus just turns out to be the best defender from the 2013 class, I can live with that. So far he is one of the best under 24 defenders on the ice.  I think we should be using that # roughly as the comparison. I say 24 because typically peak production is I believe 25-27/8 so since Rasmus isn't there yet, hopefully, we should compare him to more age appropriate peers.

They've been paired all season.

I was wondering if people thought one was carrying the other.

I think it is more a matter of the style of play than the pairing.

Last year Gorges was asked to turtle in and catch bullets.....he did, and his body paid the price.

This year, the Sabres are getting the puck out of the zone quickly, and they are spending a lot more time up ice.

Better for Gorges. 

I think it is more a matter of the style of play than the pairing.

Last year Gorges was asked to turtle in and catch bullets.....he did, and his body paid the price.

This year, the Sabres are getting the puck out of the zone quickly, and they are spending a lot more time up ice.

Better for Gorges. 

Better for Sabre fans.

But I'm trying not to harp on the way last year's team was coached.

I don't think he hated him; he was worried about the effects of surgery that Josh underwent in the offseason, especially when speed was already not his best attribute. A lot of people were.

Correct. Every other major league athlete to have microfracture surgery has come back as a shell of their former self. Gorges seems to have come back just fine (I think it's probably because hockey is easier on the knees than say basketball). I'm fine with his play and I'm no longer itching to buy him out. But he'll never be the type of defenseman I try to populate my blue line with.

Correct. Every other major league athlete to have microfracture surgery has come back as a shell of their former self. Gorges seems to have come back just fine (I think it's probably because hockey is easier on the knees than say basketball). I'm fine with his play and I'm no longer itching to buy him out. But he'll never be the type of defenseman I try to populate my blue line with.

Blue, what value, if any, do you place on the plugs?

Is it always skill over will with you?

Miro Satan or Mike Peca?

Linus Omark or Matt Ellis?

Blue, what value, if any, do you place on the plugs?

Is it always skill over will with you?

Miro Satan or Mike Peca?

Linus Omark or Matt Ellis?

I'm not sure I disagree with your dichotomy here, or your examples, but I do disagree! I mean c'mon man, Pece was a Selke winner! To suggest he was less skilled than Satan because he scored fewer goals is pretty flimsy. Put differently, I think defense is a skill just like offense is. This goes back to my primary argument about Hodgson's defense: I don't think it was due to lack of effort, I think the guy just had zero aptitude for defensive play. Ultimately I just think the effort angle in sports gets overplayed and is often used in place of analysis, rather than as analysis. That's not to say there's no difference in player effort, but over long periods of time I think the difference between players' effort is much more marginal than is often times portrayed and causes us to really miss the boat on why a player is performing better/worse than expected (and hell, our expectations are often times out of whack). Alex Semin was always killed because of his effort, but he still scored 40 goals...if he were as lazy as was suggested in the mainstream, that would mean he had the talent to be a ~70 goal scorer. Insane.

Because that's how I feel, I'll usually take skill over will, and genuine plugs have little to no value for me (this is also because I view them as replaceable, whereas skill is harder to find). But back to my original point, it seems to me that what you're really getting at is offensive skill vs. defensive skill. That, I think, produces a different answer. For instance, I value defensive skill a lot more than perceived effort. Is that more what you were asking?

Better offensive awareness....

MIN: Suter, Spurgeon

DAL: Klingberg, Oduya (Good player, but not a PP guy, he's competent in the offensive zone) 

PIT: Letang, Maata

BOS: Chara, Krug (Chara has slowed down and Krug is rather inconsistent) 

OTT: Karlsson, ???

FLA: Ekblad, Campbell (Super youngster and old guy)

OTT is the only team wear RR might see 2nd line PP minutes. 

Risto would get PP time on multiple teams, he's a young stud whom is already better than the majority of defensemen in the NHL. Not quite in the Great or Elite category yet however. If he's your 3/4 D-man you have one hell of a team.

Risto had his worst game of the year last night

Yes he did. He wasn't alone in that though.

Risto didn't have his feet moving well last night and it took him awhile to adjust to the speed.  Considering he is 21, I am willing to overlook 1 bad game now and then but by the end of this year he needs to become consistent. Last night he lacked the physical game I had started to notice from him.

Yes he did. He wasn't alone in that though.

Risto didn't have his feet moving well last night and it took him awhile to adjust to the speed.  Considering he is 21, I am willing to overlook 1 bad game now and then but by the end of this year he needs to become consistent. Last night he lacked the physical game I had started to notice from him.

That post was about the Coyotes game, though he was just as bad if not worse against Edmonton 

Thinking on it some more, the assertion that Oduya has better offensive awareness than Rasmus might be the wrongest thing I've ever read on here.

You do remember Liger's early work here right? Early wookie trade proposals? Leino being the #1 center? the concept of Kassian?

That's a pretty bold statement qwk, there have been some pretty big swing and misses in this board's history.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.