GDT: Buffalo @ Detroit, 7:30 pm est, 12/1/2015

WildCard

According to the analytics stuff I have read the Sabres are due to start winning games. Our possession metrics are great but our puck luck is terrible.  They should start evening out very soon.

Which will coincide with teams the Sabres are playing that aren't among the best in the league of goals allowed. Not sure what I believe more/less in, analytics or puck luck.

I can't watch. Tears me apart. I can't root for a side this year.

It was easy to root for my home team last year. Now I have more interest in the Sabres' evolution, but I still love 40, 55 and 13 on Detroit... And Larkin. I really like watching that kid. He's good.

When Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronner retire, I think my days as a Detroit fan primarily may backseat to second fav. For the most part, the new kids do nothing to excite me. I'd much rather watch Jack, Rasmus, ROR, Samson, Evander. That's really saying something for me.

Bold prediction based off Detroit lately... Det loses in OT. That's their specialty. Mrazek's the better goalie IMO, but the Wings have been real lackluster in the last month. Besides Larkin. Kronwall had a nice OT win recently. But that's about it :/ 

When Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronner retire, I think my days as a Detroit fan primarily may backseat to second fav. For the most part, the new kids do nothing to excite me. I'd much rather watch Jack, Rasmus, ROR, Samson, Evander. That's really saying something for me.

Interesting.

This board actually augments my understanding of, appreciation for people IRL (not "people" around here, mind you -- like, out there -- in The Matrix).

Days gone by, I took a very, very dim view of any claim of shifting allegiances among favourite sports teams. But I have enough respect for a poster like Josie to understand that, if this can be her experience, it's a valid one.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But I'm open to the idea of having a "new" favourite team.

While I'm not big baseball fan, maybe now I can finally allow myself to claim the Jays. (Short story shorter: While I grew up in a market that is now devoted to the Jays, the Jays hadn't started playing when I was a wee lad. Moreover, my Dad and paternal grandfather were staunch Yankee fans.)

Interesting.

This board actually augments my understanding of, appreciation for people IRL (not "people" around here, mind you -- like, out there -- in The Matrix).

Days gone by, I took a very, very dim view of any claim of shifting allegiances among favourite sports teams. But I have enough respect for a poster like Josie to understand that, if this can be her experience, it's a valid one.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But I'm open to the idea of having a "new" favourite team.

While I'm not big baseball fan, maybe now I can finally allow myself to claim the Jays. (Short story shorter: While I grew up in a market that is now devoted to the Jays, the Jays hadn't started playing when I was a wee lad. Moreover, my Dad and paternal grandfather were staunch Yankee fans.)

I fully expect that to be the main reaction people will have to my shifting allegiance. Especially friends back home. 

The argument of "well, my home is here now" is a bad one, sense this board alone is a great example of die hard Sabres fans living in other parts of the world. I guess my argument is I had a passing interest in hockey growing up in Red Wing territory. It was part of life, but not something I was actively involved in until fairly recently. It's a cozy, warm, homey thing for me. I'll always wear the number 40 when I play because of Zetts. 

The Sabres, this board, well, they're really where I've learned about hockey. And at the risk of being labelled a band wagoner, I think I'm finding myself gravitating to them. Would that change if Detroit found another Datsyuk/Zetterberg? I kinda doubt it. By the time that happens, I will have built that foundation here with the Sabres. 

Any time these two teams face each other, I find myself evaluating all of this. It has changed for me. I would gladly wear any of my Wings jerseys to a Wings game, but not this one. I attended a Sabres v Wings game two years ago at the FN Center, wore my Winter Classic Zetterberg jersey. I really don't think i could do that anymore, with this team. I simply wouldn't go to this matchup. 

I'm sure many will view me with skepticism, but hell, I'm viewing myself with skepticism. It's weird. God help me when they're both certain playoff teams. 

Interesting.

I actually started as a Jays fan when I was a kid. Loved em. But when I tried to get into the team as a college aged guy I found their fan base to be really wimpy. 

I went to Detroit for the Frozen Four is 2010 and had a great time. Loved the town. Started following the Tigers and haven't looked back. They have a good social media presence. It's easier being a Tigers fan than it was to be a Jays fan. 

The Red Wings last game they lost to the Florida Panthers on Sunday night. Just letting you know we appreciate your effort and time and I actually read your right ups.

I will never correct your spelling. Those that live in glass spelling houses shall never correct the misspelled word. I guarenty that, else I am a hyporcrit. 

No worries, I'd prefer to be corrected than just leave it wrong

I actually started as a Jays fan when I was a kid. Loved em. But when I tried to get into the team as a college aged guy I found their fan base to be really wimpy. 

I went to Detroit for the Frozen Four is 2010 and had a great time. Loved the town. Started following the Tigers and haven't looked back. They have a good social media presence. It's easier being a Tigers fan than it was to be a Jays fan. 

I'll always be a Tigers fan. Knew Jim Leyland's family. Hometown hero. Met the man myself, love telling stories about my grandfather dealing with him when he was a young brat in my grandpa's high school math classes. 

That and I don't follow baseball enough to have any major torches besides the home ties to one :) 

Hmmm... that kind of slap is not okay. That kind of stuff gets you on YouTube. But, I think it is acceptable to bitch slap another player. :P

First off, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

Second, that does the hitch slap an injustice. When hitch slapped the slapper is most assuredly going to leave a mark on the slappie, that did not happen in that patty cake episode.

Interesting.

I am a Homer, when the Sabres/Bills are finished so is my season.  I really wish I could find interest in another team.

The Red Wings last game they lost to the Florida Panthers on Sunday night. Just letting you know we appreciate your effort and time and I actually read your right ups.

I will never correct your spelling. Those that live in glass spelling houses shall never correct the misspelled word. I guarenty that, else I am a hyporcrit. 

priceless......I literally chocked.

Any time these two teams face each other, I find myself evaluating all of this. It has changed for me. I would gladly wear any of my Wings jerseys to a Wings game, but not this one. I attended a Sabres v Wings game two years ago at the FN Center, wore my Winter Classic Zetterberg jersey. I really don't think i could do that anymore, with this team. I simply wouldn't go to this matchup. 

I'm sure many will view me with skepticism, but hell, I'm viewing myself with skepticism. It's weird. God help me when they're both certain playoff teams.

I really get where you're coming from. I grew up with the Sabres, graduated from college, moved across the country to a warm climate, and frankly was too busy with other things to follow hockey anymore.  I didn't choose not to follow it, I just had better things to do.  Also bear in mind this was at the time before you could get Center Ice or easily follow your team online, or read the team's local news online.

We moved to Detroit in 1991.  Even then you couldn't see all the games on TV; I was still listening on the radio.  I can remember a particular game where they played the Sabres.  I made a point of listening because I wanted to hear my hometown Sabres playing.  It occurred to me that this wasn't the team I grew up with; over 10 years had passed since I last followed hockey.  The only name I can remember from that game was Mogilny.  LaFontaine  was on the team but I don't remember his name being called.  I really didn't remember anything about the team.  Frankly, I missed all of LaFontaine's Buffalo career.  There was no Sauve or Edwards, no Gare, Luce, Perreault.  I knew nothing about this team.

But I'd seen and heard a bit about the Red Wings.  That night I made the same decision you did- to abandon my home team and move on to the team of my adopted city.  In retrospect it was a good move because I really enjoyed watching their rise from mediocre to Cup champs.

When we moved back to Texas in 1997, two weeks after the Red Wings first Cup in 42 years, we signed up for Center Ice.... to follow the Wings.  I wasn't at all aware of the Sabres anymore; the WIngs were my team.  I was right were you are now.

In the spring of 1999 I started to become aware that my original home team was actually pretty good, and I started following them through the playoffs.  That led to a period of dual allegiance, and by 2006 the Sabres were my team again.  I joined the forum here at the beginning of the 2006-07 season, and while the team went downhill from there on (until this year of course), my love for the team was rekindled, based in no small part on what I learned about the team on this forum.

I root for the Wings and the Sabres both now.  But when they play head to head.... GO SABRES!

What does that even mean?  Jays fans threw cups of beer at babies during the playoffs this year.  And who falls in love with Detroit of all places????

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.