GDT: Buffalo @ Detroit, 7:30 pm est, 12/1/2015

WildCard

What does that even mean?  Jays fans threw cups of beer at babies during the playoffs this year.  And who falls in love with Detroit of all places????

That sounds funny coming on a Buffalo forum..... :rolleyes:

haha beat me to it.

One rust belt love is akin to another. We all love broken, vaguely dirty things, with hope for renewal... You come in over that airport and it's your dirty disgusting crime ridden rusted iron scrapheap city.  :wub:

Tonight would be a good night for Samson's first NHL fight!  Yeah, I know, I know...

:devil:

Funny I was just thinking of that interview from a couple years ago, maybe beyond blue & gold, where Murray asked him if he was prepared for rough stuff and the like.  Of course he responded positively, but yeah I don't see it.  

Found it.  "Slash somebody, show some emotion"  ~2:00 mark

Edited by bcSaberks

I fully expect that to be the main reaction people will have to my shifting allegiance. Especially friends back home. 

<>

I'm sure many will view me with skepticism, but hell, I'm viewing myself with skepticism. It's weird. God help me when they're both certain playoff teams. 

Really good stuff there. Thank you.

My advice: Don't over-think it. What you've said makes perfect sense to someone who spent many (too many) years as a militant you only get one team sort of person.

We should start taking bets on this before every game. There is literally no consistency to it whatsoever. Back-to-backs? Johnson. Johnson lets in 2 goals over two games? ###### it, Ullmark it is. It's literally this

I agree,

We saw this in MODO when we had Ullmark and Forsberg (Anton Forsberg, Blue jackets), 2 great goalies, but Ullmark was the better one overall,

still the coach kept playing them both. 

Ullmark 35 games

Forsberg 22 games

That season went to playoffs, but we got fuwked first rond.

The question was asked many times by MODO fans, but i guess if it works, 

you will reach playoffs with 2 goalies that has pretty much same confidence, other than that, i dont know.

It's kinda hard to analyse to be honest, so many questions to be answered for.

My thought is that this tends to keep 2 goalies fight even harder, because they dont know

if they gonna stand in goal next game or not, so that might give them an extra boost, on the other hand it should

give the 2nd goalie as much boost if not more, knowing that he is the 2nd goalie and to take the first spot

he needs to play awesome every game he gets the chance, but yea.. i dont know, what the h3ll... 

What is ur opinion WC, other than the obvious "southpark"- one. ? 

Im staying up for tonights game for sure!! 

GOOD LUCK SABRES!!  :w00t: 

Edited by MODO Hockey

It's kinda hard to analyse to be honest, so many questions to be answered for.

My thought is that this tends to keep 2 goalies fight even harder, because they dont know

if they gonna stand in goal next game or not, so that might give them an extra boost, on the other hand it should

give the 2nd goalie as much boost if not more, knowing that he is the 2nd goalie and to take the first spot

he needs to play awesome every game he gets the chance, but yea.. i dont know, what the h3ll... 

What is ur opinion WC, other than the obvious "southpark"- one. ? 

Im staying up for tonights game for sure!! 

GOOD LUCK SABRES!!  :w00t: 

I really have no idea why they're doing it like this.I get splitting time for the sack of competition honing the edge of each goalie, but the starts seem to be utterly random. With Johnson playing as well as he has (though I much, much prefer Ullmark because of his positioning and ability to read through traffic), I can't see a world in which Ullmark doesn't go back to Rochester when Lehner comes back. Until that point I think they're trying to see as much of Ullmark as possible

According to the analytics stuff I have read the Sabres are due to start winning games. Our possession metrics are great but our puck luck is terrible. They should start evening out very soon.

Our possession metrics were great, but they went down fairly significantly in November. We're currently 24th in Score-adjusted Corsi. We were like 11th or something in October.

Byslma announces Larsson is in tonight, I don't know where he's playing though; no doubt it's somewhere on the 4th line though

Our possession metrics were great, but they went down fairly significantly in November. We're currently 24th in Score-adjusted Corsi. We were like 11th or something in October.

Well Dallas, Nashville, and St.Louis 2X will do that to you

Interesting.

This board actually augments my understanding of, appreciation for people IRL (not "people" around here, mind you -- like, out there -- in The Matrix).

Days gone by, I took a very, very dim view of any claim of shifting allegiances among favourite sports teams. But I have enough respect for a poster like Josie to understand that, if this can be her experience, it's a valid one.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But I'm open to the idea of having a "new" favourite team.

While I'm not big baseball fan, maybe now I can finally allow myself to claim the Jays. (Short story shorter: While I grew up in a market that is now devoted to the Jays, the Jays hadn't started playing when I was a wee lad. Moreover, my Dad and paternal grandfather were staunch Yankee fans.)

I used to be like you, and I'll personally never change allegiances (I hate my utility function sometimes). But who am I to judge what people do to maximize their enjoyment of a game?

Well Dallas, Nashville, and St.Louis 2X will do that to you

Indeed. Screw that November schedule.

I still love the theory that Ferris doesn't exist, and it's all in Cameron's head

Never heard that one. Very nice.

I used to be like you, and I'll personally never change allegiances (I hate my utility function sometimes). But who am I to judge what people do to maximize their enjoyment of a game?

So, now, we're essentially the same. On this point. I think.

The Detroit game just gets funner.  A former coworker of mine and a Yooper, just posted a link to the game NHL game preview to my FB page with, "It's on!"  To which I replied, "Yer goin' down, eh?"  (I wanted to make sure he understood me so I used proper Yoopish.)

Byslma's pregame

-Larsson needs to play with more passion

-Ullmark is in just because it's time

-McGinn is getting big minutes, one of the guys that provides physical and fore-checking, started to add offense so he gets more/bigger minutes

-Byslma laughs and goes "what the ?" when Duff asks him about how Buffalo has been terrible against the Wings for the last decade

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1573&id=889167&cmpid=sm-tw-video

Never heard that one. Very nice.

So, now, we're essentially the same. On this point. I think.

I worded that funky, but yes, we evolved on the same path and stopped at the same point.

On a related point, does a parent raising her children to be Browns fans constitute child abuse? I have a friend doing this (her husband is a Giants fan and decidedly lost this battle) and I'm trying to get her to change course.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I really have no idea why they're doing it like this.I get splitting time for the sack of competition honing the edge of each goalie, but the starts seem to be utterly random. With Johnson playing as well as he has (though I much, much prefer Ullmark because of his positioning and ability to read through traffic), I can't see a world in which Ullmark doesn't go back to Rochester when Lehner comes back. Until that point I think they're trying to see as much of Ullmark as possible

I guess you are right, it may depend on next 5-10 games Ullmark gets to play before Lehner is back.

But you are probably right with Ullmark going back to Rochester, i just hope your wrong. 

Lets pray for Ullmark!

Byslma's pregame

-Byslma laughs and goes "what the ######?" when Duff asks him about how Buffalo has been terrible against the Wings for the last decade

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1573&id=889167&cmpid=sm-tw-video

I am pretty sure that was Hamilton's question. Duff chimed in off-mic with some joke about the role of a "higher power," but that muttered WTF from the coach was in response to Hamilton, I believe.

I kinda liked Bylsma's handling of what was a loaded, convoluted, narrative-driven question (i.e., not really a question at all).

So, this Larkin kid. Sounds like he's pretty good at the hockey.

How's a perennial contender like the Wings end up with him?

I am pretty sure that was Hamilton's question. Duff chimed in off-mic with some joke about the role of a "higher power," but that muttered WTF from the coach was in response to Hamilton, I believe.

I kinda liked Bylsma's handling of what was a loaded, convoluted, narrative-driven question (i.e., not really a question at all).

So, this Larkin kid. Sounds like he's pretty good at the hockey.

How's a perennial contender like the Wings end up with him?

We tried very, very hard to get Larkin in the draft, but the Wings wouldn't budge. I would love to see his stats on our team though, or Reinhart's on that team. Something tells me Samson would be Calder level on the Red Wings

Oh? How so?

Offered them something like 2/3 2nds to move up to their spot (21st overall) to take him, but they said no and took him anyways. It's comforting knowing Murray can identify talent on par with Holland though

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.